Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭pureza

Its flowers like him and I see jenifer whitmore of the soc dems going oh my god we must protect these people that has us in this trouble

They are economic feckin migrants that crossed half of safe Europe to get here and basically parasite off our country

They should be kicked in the hole onto a plane to Rwanda 300 at a time,planes chartered from the Good Michael,no if's,no buts,show the UK how its done

They're so blatant about it too,giving interviews on the news telling us they're from morocco and egypt etc

No wars there and as for others,no war in any other country they crossed to get here

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Infuriating when you break it down. Such incredible weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Assuming everything is innocent, which is a big assumption, it genuinely is a difficult situation to solve.

As soon as ypud build and fill a processing or holding centre, you'll have enough extra migrants on the streets to need a second centre, and then a third and fourth and...impossible.

An oil rig, large boat? Same story, you'd fill one up, there'll be more to need a second, third, fourth...impossible.

Construct an island in international waters, or buy a government contract in Mali, it'll fill up, and by the time it empties it'll be brimming and need to be expanded, ad infinitum...impossible.

Now i know what im going to say will be construed as some kind of rabid glee, but it isnt.

I just can't see any situation working other than a sheer inhospitable environment. I'm not exactly sure what that entails but handing out any amount of money or food or shelter is simply an even shittier version of the above, just encourages neverending bigger tent cities and so.

The best comparison i can make is an unwanted housemate that simply wont leave of their own accord, what will probably happen is that life will be made so unaccommodating by others theyll choose to leave. Im sure more than a few people probably have experience of this from back in the day!

Essentially, you need one of these migrants to go elsewhere, and when asked by other potential migrants about ireland they'll straight out say "ndont even try!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Harris to was very quick to conflate legal and illegal immigration to suit his view and call those with concerns ‘far right’. He’s equally culpable and must go as a result. Keeping McEntee and the last week’s performance should expedite this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The more people that go on the news and declare themselves from Egypt, Morrocco, Jordan, Nigeria the more the anger of the public will rise.

Roderic, Leo, Helen, et Al have been constantly telling us these are people fleeing war and persecution without a flinch. It's the case with some of them but not all as we are increasingly seeing sadly.

I wouldn't be to hard on these young fellas either - on the other side of it they have likely been sold a dream for their family by some unscrupulous trafficker.

And btw - this is a huge part of this. These traffickers are obviously saying in Ireland you'll get a house and money and everything else. All you have to do is say..... and there's a playbook. It could well be the case that there is facilitators on this side aswell that these lads will be beholden to.

The state should be interrogating some of these fella right away to find out what they've been told Ireland holds for them.

The jist of my message is, we need to get **** tough right away. All we've been doing in pussy footing around the whole thing to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You lot will try anything...

From the translated version of the report, it seems the University of Amsterdam have tried to distance themselves utterly from this report.

"Finally, we would like to thank the University of Amsterdam (UvA) who hosted us for our research
    project. Two of the researchers were seconded to the UvA. The UvA also advanced the costs of Statis-
    tics Netherlands (CBS) microdata for the Renaissance Institute. Unfortunately, the UvA did not react
    positively to the publication of the 1
    st edition. The UvA was of the opinion that we had wrongly used
    the UvA logo on the report, while this was the result of contractual obligations to publish ‘under own
    name’ – i.e. the name of the UvA – which the university itself had entered into with the CBS. Co-author
    professor emeritus Joop Hartog received an ultimatum at 9:30 p.m. on the day of publication: "If the
    [logo] is still there tomorrow at noon, I will request the personnel department to immediately termi-
    nate your hospitality [guest appointment]." The next day, the threat – after decades of loyal service to
    the UvA and a glorious academic career – was carried out. Joop Hartog was also deposed as chairman
    of a number of already planned PhD ceremonies. This very sordid affair even made it into the national
    press.10 In the end, the UvA was unable to present any valid arguments as to why the logo should not
    be on the cover of our report, and the withdrawal of Joop Hartog's guest appointment was reversed,
    but no public apologies were forthcoming. The whole affair underlines how sensitive the subject of
    study of this report still is and thus also the necessity of this report.
    Zeist, April 2023
    Jan van de Beek, Joop Hartog, Hans Roodenburg and Gerrit Kreffer"

I very strongly doubt your claims about this Dutch government report, you obviously have a very particular relationship with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Your link . !!

'' If a person indicates or is identified as being in need of international protection they are admitted to the international protection process. However, they will still be recorded as a refusal of leave to land. '' .

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose a Prime Time Investigates episode on this issue is out of the question.

• Advertisement

An author of what report?

Richard Toll isn't an author of the self published report shared on Gript.ie, Mankind Quarterly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

@Ten of Swords seems like some posts have mysteriously disappeared. I hope there is not a technical problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

I agree to particular extents. When people say build more prisons to address more crime it solves the immediate problem but doesn't address the cause. Just like crime the best way to stop it is to ensure it doesn't pay, there is no benefit, no desire, no market, no customer, no reason.

The cheapest and best way for society to address any propblem is to ensure it doesn't happen in the first place.

In this situation we do need to build facilities but they should be located outside of the EEA no different than the facilities in Turkey for Greece and implicitly for Germany

This is not a question of compassion, it is the of succession of common sense over chaos

The University of Amsterdam absolutely attempted to disavow its involvement in the report, that is arguably indicative of the deteriorating social dialogue that led the Dutch Government to terminate economic reports on the relationship between immigration and economy in the first instance. Regardless, the findings of the report are consistent with a report published by the Danish Government and while you have commented on the report quite considerably, those comments have extended to the circumstances around the publication of the report only - have you any comments on the content of the report (appreciating that you obviously neglected to read the first few pages of the report until prompted to…) criticism of the methodology etc.?

Do you want to talk about the content of what gets self published on Dolores Cahill's website or maybe Gemma Doherty's?

That's the level we're at here I'm afraid.

I disagree, it is patently obvious that you failed to engage with the report at all before dismissing it. What were your doubtlessly illuminating thoughts on Danish Government report that reflects the findings of the Dutch report?

I'd expect they will charge the terrorist activity, where it meets the legislation.

I'd expect in time they'll have to modernise the legislation more in line with the US definition of domestic terrorism.

the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that— (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States;

I don't know how you get from that, or our existing legislation to claiming that 'anyone who criticises the position on immigration can be charged'

Care to explain?

What Dutch government report is this? You shared something in Dutch, if you've an English language version I can comment on it, on its own merits.

• Advertisement

I will remember you made me look for this by not addressing the content cited

https://gupea.ub.gu.se/handle/2077/38323

From Sweden, from memory each asylum seeker will constitute a net drain of 500,000 to 1 Million euro to the fiscal position.

That's a university paper and peer reviewed.

You now have a peer reviewed paper and our own departmental figures showing the seriousness of this state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Hmm. I agree. I also wonder how many political parties will keep their election promises about stricter control. I suspect, none of them will.

That's a working paper, Where is it peer reviewed?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/research-article-vs-working-paper-arhan-sthapit-phd#:~:text=A%20working%20paper%20is%20a,literature%20to%20further%20their%20studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’d say I know just about as much as you do.

I've already addressed the content you cited.

We need to reduce costs drastically by moving from hotels etc.

That's a working paper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_paper

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

Regardless of what you provide it will never be enough, if people don't want to face the reality and seriousness of the situation they simply won't and will continue to argue that black is white. Maybe they will come to their senses when the consequences effect them personally like we saw earlier in the week with Hazel Chu and Ivana Bacik suddenly changing their "Refugees welcome" tune when the tents moved to Ballsbridge.

And it will effect them personally eventually, nobody will avoid the consequences. It's an unsustainable cluster **** that us and our children will be paying the cost of for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I read this long tweet about our international asylum obligations today. I found it helpful.

I don't agree with him about leaving the EU, but his explanation is honest and detailed.

Now, clearly, and by his own admission, this guy is not in the centre of the political spectrum.

Is everything he states about our intl obligations true?

If so, it seems like it will be difficult for us to control our borders.

It's not a working paper and it's impossible for you to have read it in that time

The OECD perhaps you've heard of them, they cite it as a source, it's also published in Springer and Jstor and I'm not going to do your work for you, it is up to you to show where they are not robust, if you can't that means evidentiary acceptance.

The OECD citation confirms it's validity

• Advertisement

At this point there are three different reports - one from Denmark, one from Sweden, one from the Netherlands - demonstrating that the net expense to the exchequer of non-Western immigrants and asylum seekers is between 1% and 1.7% of GDP…

Advertisement