Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete Polishing

• 05-05-2024 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

I’m having some work done in my back garden, one of things I‘ve had done is a new dog run. I got a local builder to do all of the work, however I’ve an issue with the slab that was poured for the dog run…. It’s holding water.

Shuttering was put up with a slope for the floor of the dog run, that would run into an eco drain at the end of the run and of course the dope who poured the concrete made a balls of it. He used a sub optimal concrete which is not normally used by builders for finishing. I told him to float the finish…. But of course when the slab dried out it dipped in the middle, and there is no floated finish…. it’s ****. I would have done a better job myself.

What is the story with polishing concrete, does the quality of the concrete have to be a certain standard. How do you seal it, would it stand up to power hosing and scrubbing.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

optimal - favourable - concrete that has a good finish - used for finishing. Made by a well known more reputable big firm.

Sub-optimal - less favourable - concrete that has a bad finish - used in foundations of walls. Made by a local outfit near me, where they mix concrete themselves.

As regards the fall, it has a fall, but after the concrete was poured and slab dried out it and it seems that the center of it fell in and dipped…. Just like when you are baking a cake and you take it out of the oven too soon the centre of it falls inwards.

Also a bull nosed trowel was used around the edge of the slab to finish it off, but in doing so only created a lip around the edge of the slab. But that’s not why the slab is holding water the center, it’s fallen in. The shuttering that was put up for the concrete was also the correct slope.

So it’s a combination of bad materials and shoddy workmanship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

After a couple of years the smell from the concrete would knock a horse, very unhealthy for the dogs pads as well.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I think you'd be better off pouring a screed on top of it, with the correct slope and finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What does "sub-optimal concrete mean? This really sounds like a workmanship issue. The finish and hthe slope are kinda the only two aspects you needed from the guy.

Polished concrete finish will depend tot some degree on the mix, but it doesn't require some special mix. You seal it in the same way you seal any concrete, its the same concrete ground/polished smooth. It very durable. But I'm not sure how that will fix your issue. It's not going to correct a fall. As above, I's be topping the slab. You may need to cut/grind some out coarsely, a polished slab is removing a few mm only.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

why would you polish the concrete for a dog run? You are correct re having a particular mix through for polishing internal floors, generally a high stone mix.

To correct the slope!!!…. Get rid of the dip in the center, to be able to wash the run so water runs of into the drain. If the **** thing was laid and finished properly in the first place I wouldn’t be considering this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Concrete mix doesn't have an inherent "finish". The various mixed dictate strength, workability, not finish.
    Whether a particular sample of concrete has a particular finish is a product, for the most part, of workmanship. A high spec concrete is not used for a path. A skilled tradesman will get the required path finish from any generic mix.

I highly doubt you are expecting a class 1 finish. If the finish is bad, the error is the cowboy would placed it. It is defective, and they should fix/replace it.

A cake if full of air pockets that expand when in the oven and contract when cooled, causing the centre to dip. That cannot happen with solid concrete. If it was cured with a dip in the centre, it was placed with a dip in the centre.

FWIW, Grinding can only remove material. If the centre is below the drain, no amount of grinding will fall it to the drain, unless the drain can be lowered.
    Although the ponding could be caused a high build up between the centre and the drain. You need to know precisely what's going on before you start grinding.

You don't need a particular mix. You can specifically decorative aggregates, but its not necessary. Most polished slabs are the generic mix specified by the structural engineer. I've seen a 50 year old slab polished. When it was laid, nobody knew what polishing was.

Agree about being overkill here, unless it's a very trendy for a Dog run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Get a job lot of outdoor tiles in a clearance sale and tile over the abomination for the sake of your dogs health. Also tile up the sides of the wall about 2 feet to make it easier for power hosing. I put a one in 40 fall in mine but in hindsight a one in 20 might have been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

If it's for a dog run, could you cut a few tracks into it that would allow water etc to run off where you want it to?

Advertisement