Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

To be frank with you. I have more issues with Boyne, then I do with RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

appreciate the education. 👍When I was 21 I wasn’t following the Marty’s career as closely and missed out on all his daytime tv stuff. I think the general preconception that he was banished totally is obviously not true but certainly Rte radio wouldn’t touch him for years after defecting to Century!

Post edited by GSF on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭archfi

Might put off some of his acolytes on here :)

Happy days.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I wasn't really following his career either but it has been mentioned a few time not just here on boards but in the Media in general, and I got thinking about when was he not on RTÉ and it seemed to be just for the period he was in Century Radio, I assume their was a few months between the closure of Century and him returning to RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He mentioned before that a good few RTÉ people wouldn’t speak to him when he went back.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Well I can imagine that, Ian Dempsey wasn't allow go back and get his stuff from RTÉ when he left.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This was when he was back working in RTÉ after Century folded.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah I know, I can imagine the resistance to him returning in RTÉ. RTÉ is filled with bullies from what I can gather.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Is a return to irish radio the only option for Tubs? What are the chances he could he get back on television with his Tubridy tonight show or something similar, on one of the virgin channels maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say unlikely. His name is toxic at present, so not in the next few years anyway.

But never say never.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Heard a minute or so this morning. I think he was talking about a dream he had and then segued effortlessly 😉 into… BOOKS.

I actually find it hard to know what he is saying, at times, from the very brief clips I have heard. I will switch back to Q102 at 1 p.m as usual.

I like easy listening, which Tubridy is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I don't believe Tubs has anything to offer any commercial radio station in Ireland. His audience, if he ever really had one, would be the older Irish demographic who listen to Radio 1 religiously and would be the most deposed to putting up with his unique brand of incompetent, trivial nonsense. For one hour a day at least.

Any other outfit would, like Virgin, require him to do a 3 hour show (accounting for incessant ads) and I just don't know who would be listening to a copy of his current show within Ireland only. The market is so small, he would need to hold and grow the numbers, which seems highly unlikely to me.

As I said before, Tubs is neither a journalist, a light entertainment presenter or even a music DJ. He's just an ambitious, probably fairly ruthless operator, who knew how to game a broken system in RTE to the fullest to get into the big chairs ahead of people who had genuine ability. He has been royally found out since last January when he was forced into finally flying the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No group old or young listens to RTE Radio 1 religiously. Every JNLR shows that all of the RTE stations combined get under 50% of the listening audience in every age group (15 to 64 in 10 year groups), every 15 minute slot, and every geographical region. Of the available audience (population over 15 years of age), the best that Radio 1 gets is about 12% for Morning Ireland.

Ryan Tubridy had a good following on Boards when he was on RTE. You could say that they waited around religiously for 9 o'clock to come to give a running commentary. And they did not appear to be a follow on audience from Morning Ireland, given the paucity of commentary on Boards for that programme. Unfortunately for RTE, Oliver Callan seems to have lost the Boards audience as well.

Virgin Media TV have really reduce their spend on TV production. They largely look for funding from the sound and vision fund (the licence fee), in house productions, and 2 returning series (Lucy and Googlebox) but little else. Pat Kenny's shows both on UTV Ireland and later on TV3 failed to gain audiences. And they have moved away from big name presenters like Kenny, Browne, Yeats and Cooper, save for Tommy Bowe on Ireland AM most of VMTV's people are staff or lesser known people, though they do try to promote TSOCS but is largely seen as an afterthought. He could take over on The Six O'Clock Show! I doubt it would improve audiences.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The jist of that article….

Kielty has on average attracted 45,000 more viewers than Tubridy did in his final season.

From September 2, 2022, to April 21, 2023, Tubridy had an average audience (consolidated) of 407,000.And over 28 episodes of The Late Late Show, from September 15, 2023 to April 19, 2024, Kielty had an average audience (consolidated) of 442,000.

The two presenters are neck-and-neck in terms of audience share, at 39pc.

These figures do not include The Late Late Toy Show for either season.

Meanwhile, RTÉ has also released figures which show that Kielty shines brightest on social media. Across The Late Late Show social media platforms, total video views for the 2023/2024 season were up 174pc — from 49.7m to 136m views. On TikTok, views are up from 5.23m to 34.66m when compared to the same time last year.

Asked the reason for the significant bump — close to 100m extra video views — in their social-media audience, the RTÉ spokesperson said: “We are delighted that The Late Late Show is reaching new audiences across all platforms. [ENDS]

Obvious that the people prefer Kielty, he seems to be building back up some of the hundreds of thousands of viewers that Tubridy lost (some for good).

Not sure why the social media views exploded, I would suspect good content is only a part of it, and more likely that there's new people working in the social media team who either know what they are doing, or who are not bone idle. If it's the old team, then they got a rocket up the backside.

I'm saying this as having worked previously for a major social media player, my experience was that most people in social media had no idea what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Seems he's writing another children's book. Doubt it will do as well as the last couple as he won't have the free promotions.

Though maybe he could interview himself on the podcast. Laugh at his own jokes and admire his own wit.

https://evoke.ie/2024/05/05/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-library-book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

he would loooove to make looove to me, a retired librarian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

In other words, NK isn’t worth tuppence of his salt

• Advertisement

Whenever Kielty leaves RTE will the Boards people keep following him like they do with Tubridy? Would he get 3,470 posts about his next career? I do not follow the Late Late thread in TV. Has there been an increase in posts since Kielty took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

If Kielty steals €300,000 from the Irish public then yes people probably will follow him after he leaves RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭animalinside

Gosh, Tubridy into books? I'd never have guessed it. I guess it's one of those things he keeps hidden away most of the time so as not to let it define his personality and get free intellectual brownie points despite how reading bad books is no better than wasting time in online forums. No doubt we'll never hear about it again.

The local newsagent, grocery shop and post office are either gone or replaced, but the trusty library has largely survived the social culling that presents itself as progress in most places.

What universe is he talking about where any of this is true? Some have closed, others stay exactly where they have always been, meanwhile they're shutting down libraries left and right, at least on a global level, can't say I know of examples in Ireland. Whatever the case the motives for shutting those outlets down are always cost-based, I have never seen anyone present it as progress, who presents it as progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is he championing libraries now?

When he was on radio in Ireland, he'd often mention book shops, and certain ones in particular (to get free gifts?), but he'd rarely mention libraries and the role they play in society. It was often commented on in the thread how an avid book worm never seemed to go to a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

That really is appalling drivel. One would be doing well to get a H3 in Junior cert English for that standard of prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Unlikely. Kielty is a competent broadcaster who isn't stealing a living. Maybe if he gets embroiled in some shady financial engineering to get additional unreported earnings, but otherwise he's as likely to have a boards following as Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

because it’s one of the last social hubs left in most towns and cities.

The local newsagent, grocery shop and post office are either gone or replaced,

Bit weird thinking that newsagents, grocers and post offices are social hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

"From the moment I could read, I quickly discovered my local library and from that day to this, I’ve been a fan of the place."

Opening salvo from Ryan. Jesus. I really hope its not Ryan drafting this stuff.

" I used the computer, printed off a few articles and got myself a library card which sits proudly in my wallet."

Sure you did Ryan.

Stock photos of the library, No photos of Ryan this week. A picture of Richard Corrigan who he didn't meet. Is he on NK's books? A link to the London Library that contains the information he recites in the article (when it was founded, where it was located and its former members) An impromptu call from Mark Wogan gives the opportunity to fill space and importantly a picture of Ryan from a few months back.

Hmmmm. I wonder. NK production intern all over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭yagan

The rte ratings comparison is interesting in marking the vast demarcation between tubridy who openly eschewed the two way live nature of the internet and kielty who understands that everyone uses it now.

Kielty is confident swimming its waters while tubridy clings to the flotsam of legacy media like books, which don't talk back.

He languishes in his bookman persona, but the problem with books is that even those who love having books eventually do a cull.

Advertisement