Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

You've not addressed the costs, you'e just deflected from the question and even then the deflection weakens your pisition. Alternate accommodation carries a fiscal burden, only the removal of the asylum seeker from the state and repatriation would remove the fiscal burden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It said working paper on the title page, it was an early version. I don't have access to the full article, but I get the gist.

The article below pretty much sums up my reaction.

Essentially IPAs can show as contributing less to the economy because they're more likely to end up in low paid jobs or be restricted from working.

That only shows us that these type of economic measurements don't capture the true value of much low paid work. A lot of childcare workers, hospital cleaners etc in Ireland would be measured as a 'drain' on the economy because they might be relying on income supports or HEPA. Are the net contributors though? Of course, see how well the country functions without them.

It's quite a nasty and cheap angle to take really when you think about it.

https://www.saisjournal.eu/article/81-Refugees-Are-Not-Fiscal-Burdens.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Same thing that posters on here have been saying for months.

He did miss one thing though, even if we back out of human rights protections, our Constitution has protections, and the courts will uphold them.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Is that factoring the unemployment rate as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't agree with some of that and like you especially leaving the EU part.

"So, while we may not be able to stop every would-be asylum seeker from arriving in Ireland, we can make it a very unattractive option. We can make it so that those foolish enough to come soon want to leave."

To make Ireland unattractive I would start with reducing their allowance even more (currently 38.80) and the biggest one for me is we remove the medical card which is absolutely nuts they get a medical card in the first place.

• Advertisement

I agree but the fundamental metrics that require revision are the threshold for protection, the time-limits for protection, and the processing time for applications. Access to welfare and other reception conditions represents a certain degree of attraction to migrants but the primary measurement of attractiveness is the potential to remain in the State. At the moment, Ireland has a low threshold for protection, generous time-limits for protection, lengthy processing times, and low deportation rates, for this reason it is an ideal destination for migrants.

That's the problem isn't it.

This kind of analysis doesn't really factor anything in. There's no real context.

In terms of unemployment rate, the most reliable figure I've seen for Ireland is about 60% for IPAs. I think that's pretty good given the historical restrictions on working etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Bit of a segway but not really.

I've lived in Ballsbridge 3 years now. Not once have I seen a proper supercar. Seems to be loads of Porsche 911s but that's the height of it.

Today I passed 2 lambos on Baggott St. Wtf Unbeknownst to me as I was down West for the day, there was a car fair in Herbert Park. Lambos, McClaren F1s, Merc SLs.

If anything from the misery of living in the tent. I hope the folks enjoyed it! I'm sure the word of the Dublin wealth will spread.

If the argument is that, despite being a burden to the exchequer, they represent an integral demographic in the unskilled labour market then, ideally, there would be a high employment rate. Interestingly and ironically, the unemployment rate of asylum seekers in Sweden is attributed in part to the limited number of low-skilled employment opportunities in the Swedish labour market - for all the bluster on the importance of low-skilled labour, Sweden has a comparatively low requirement for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

No, they were deleted - you're welcome

If you have anything else to contribute along these lines please do so in the Help Desk forum as doing so here is off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

I'm sure water ways Ireland will get them moved on soon, the phoenix park is free, I'm sure when they arrive beside the presidents gaff ,they might do something ,then to where will the world rock up .

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

That article you posted a link to is wishy washy. Zero figures or numbers on what the actual cost is. And he does the usual trick of conflating legal, working migrants (nurses, doctors etc.) with IPAs and Asylum Seekers. In the first paragraph of the 'Real Benefits of Migration' section he mentions doctors at least six times. It has been repeated ad nauseam that nobody has any issues with qualified workers coming here on visas. They aren't the ones sleeping in tents on the Grand Canal that require free acommodation or filling up hotels around the country.

The entire artice can be perhaps summed up by the final line: "I am not saying that Sweden or the EU should admit refugees because it benefits Sweden and the EU. Sweden and the EU should admit refugees to defend and uphold human rights."

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

At least you admit in your first paragraph you did not read the study

Your third paragraph just confirms the poor integration of asylum seekers and their lifetime net negative costs

Your fouth paragraph is an attempt to conflate all low paid work with asylum seekers, now this either confirms asylum seekers will always be a net negative drain even in employment or a greater net negative drain if not in employment and relient on welfare

Your last sentence is derogatory and attempts to insult. Resources are a determining factot in the succes or failure of any policy, to simple discount them as non-sensical discounts the value of life affected

Your referenced article is more about Modern Monetary Theory than it is about refugees and contains no data just supposition and indeed numerous paragraphs that reinforce (my) the opposing viewpoint, please find attached a selection

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

It's insane, the tail has been wagging the dog for years.

I'm not really sure what your highlighting is supposed to represent?

I think you miss the point where the limitation of this type of study is that it doesn't measure the contribution in terms of the real contribution of low paid work.

Do you think of Irish care workers, or construction labourers as a drain on society? If they're on HEPA or a family income support the likelihood is they'll 'take out more from the public purse than they contribute'

As I've said earlier the lengths you lot will go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dept of integration spent 2.5bn last year alone. How anyone can try and argue a net positive from AS with a straight face is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

But their on HAP and family income supports due to our current economic climate, especially around housing and cost of living… which is being made worse(albeit by a tiny amount overall) by illegal migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

From the govt's point of view, capacity to accomodate and integrate is the fundamental metric. And one that is never discussed.

You can raise the threshold for protection as high as you like, you can reduce time limits & cut processing times to 5 minutes flat, but if 10k asylum seekers still genuinely qualify for asylum at the end of it all and we can only accomodate 5k, then there are 5k people on the streets.

Capacity is the number one metric.

We wont close the border with the North as a reaction to asylum seekers arriving from there.

France and Italy are 2nd and 4th in europe in terms of the number of asylum applications they receive. Only Germany has more applications than France in all europe.

We are already digitally tracked throughout our daily lives.

• Advertisement

In terms of the fundamental policies of deterrence, accommodation provision is irrelevant unless it coincides with a policy of detention, the absence of accommodation is arguably a deterrent…

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

European countries have a similar culture to ours and have some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

These migrants are coming from cultures that are incredibly different from Europe's in almost every way with crime rates 10-20 times higher and where persecution of homosexuals and rampant discrimination against women is the norm.

They are going to bring issues such as FGM, "honour" killings and grooming to this country as has already happened in France, Sweden and the UK.

Additionally, we seem to be getting the ones that the UK have already rejected so these are even more likely to be criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Thanks I didn't realise this was a feature. SUVwoman gone straight to the block list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's crystal clear what is amiss. You have government departments working towards a policy that is to stop 'shanty towns' developing in urban areas. Seeking to move asylum seekers to prepared camps and doing so.

Then you have charities funded largely by the state actively working against the above policy. By facilitating these encampments in providing tents, tarpaulins, food, advice etc etc. They are actively undermining what the government is trying to do. There's a word for this.

I've given money to some of these charities in the past, like hell will I do in the future. I expect my donations to go to Irish homeless people. As for the state, it should defund them straight and simple.

At this stage, the state may as well keep clearing the tents away and see how long the supplies last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'm not convinced the government are seriously trying to solve anything. The tents were getting public attention so some politicians go mouthing off about how they will sort it out, before talking to anyone or coming up with a plan. Then some half ass action is taken such as loading the asylum seekers in buses and dumping them somewhere.

This is how our politicians behave, they are too incompetent and/or lazy to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ireland is the end of the line for a lot of these migrants having spent months in various other European countries sampling their welfare systems. These countries are now clamping down.

We are the end of the line for a failed European policy for economic migration. Most of the legitimate refugees and "future doctor and nurses", as Leo coined them, have long since being absorbed into Europe. We are left with the rest who will be using our welfare systems.

Europe knows it, the UK knows it but seemingly the Irish government dosent quite get it yet.

The Dublin convention was our shield against this phenomenon, when it was drafted our government knew this. It's all gone out the window now by our own governments stupidity and their "advisers" in the NGO sector that has mushroomed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

Without migration we wouldn't have agency nurses and deliveroo riders, think about that the next time you say "Ireland is full".

Not sure what detention has to do with accomodation availability?

Considering we have no accomodation now and the numbers arriving have doubled to record levels so far this year, I dont think the deterrent is working.

In short, we have never had less accomodation available and at the same time we have never had more Asylum applications.

Advertisement