Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

It's insane, the tail has been wagging the dog for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not really sure what your highlighting is supposed to represent?

I think you miss the point where the limitation of this type of study is that it doesn't measure the contribution in terms of the real contribution of low paid work.

Do you think of Irish care workers, or construction labourers as a drain on society? If they're on HEPA or a family income support the likelihood is they'll 'take out more from the public purse than they contribute'

As I've said earlier the lengths you lot will go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dept of integration spent 2.5bn last year alone. How anyone can try and argue a net positive from AS with a straight face is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

But their on HAP and family income supports due to our current economic climate, especially around housing and cost of living… which is being made worse(albeit by a tiny amount overall) by illegal migration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

From the govt's point of view, capacity to accomodate and integrate is the fundamental metric. And one that is never discussed.

You can raise the threshold for protection as high as you like, you can reduce time limits & cut processing times to 5 minutes flat, but if 10k asylum seekers still genuinely qualify for asylum at the end of it all and we can only accomodate 5k, then there are 5k people on the streets.

Capacity is the number one metric.

We wont close the border with the North as a reaction to asylum seekers arriving from there.

France and Italy are 2nd and 4th in europe in terms of the number of asylum applications they receive. Only Germany has more applications than France in all europe.

We are already digitally tracked throughout our daily lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

In terms of the fundamental policies of deterrence, accommodation provision is irrelevant unless it coincides with a policy of detention, the absence of accommodation is arguably a deterrent…

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

European countries have a similar culture to ours and have some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

These migrants are coming from cultures that are incredibly different from Europe's in almost every way with crime rates 10-20 times higher and where persecution of homosexuals and rampant discrimination against women is the norm.

They are going to bring issues such as FGM, "honour" killings and grooming to this country as has already happened in France, Sweden and the UK.

Additionally, we seem to be getting the ones that the UK have already rejected so these are even more likely to be criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Thanks I didn't realise this was a feature. SUVwoman gone straight to the block list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's crystal clear what is amiss. You have government departments working towards a policy that is to stop 'shanty towns' developing in urban areas. Seeking to move asylum seekers to prepared camps and doing so.

Then you have charities funded largely by the state actively working against the above policy. By facilitating these encampments in providing tents, tarpaulins, food, advice etc etc. They are actively undermining what the government is trying to do. There's a word for this.

I've given money to some of these charities in the past, like hell will I do in the future. I expect my donations to go to Irish homeless people. As for the state, it should defund them straight and simple.

At this stage, the state may as well keep clearing the tents away and see how long the supplies last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'm not convinced the government are seriously trying to solve anything. The tents were getting public attention so some politicians go mouthing off about how they will sort it out, before talking to anyone or coming up with a plan. Then some half ass action is taken such as loading the asylum seekers in buses and dumping them somewhere.

This is how our politicians behave, they are too incompetent and/or lazy to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ireland is the end of the line for a lot of these migrants having spent months in various other European countries sampling their welfare systems. These countries are now clamping down.

We are the end of the line for a failed European policy for economic migration. Most of the legitimate refugees and "future doctor and nurses", as Leo coined them, have long since being absorbed into Europe. We are left with the rest who will be using our welfare systems.

Europe knows it, the UK knows it but seemingly the Irish government dosent quite get it yet.

The Dublin convention was our shield against this phenomenon, when it was drafted our government knew this. It's all gone out the window now by our own governments stupidity and their "advisers" in the NGO sector that has mushroomed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

Without migration we wouldn't have agency nurses and deliveroo riders, think about that the next time you say "Ireland is full".

Not sure what detention has to do with accomodation availability?

Considering we have no accomodation now and the numbers arriving have doubled to record levels so far this year, I dont think the deterrent is working.

In short, we have never had less accomodation available and at the same time we have never had more Asylum applications.

Ireland is certainly full of people who require total state support and who arrive on these shores illegally.

As for Deliveroo? I hope your taking the mick. A Wild West business paying well below minimum wage… that’s if your delivery person is actually the person who has applied become delivery person. Ah sure more of it - race to the bottom. Deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

I've read some clutching of straws before but that takes the biscuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder could the government direct all single males/people with no documents applying for international protection to another office. Then set up a hub for these guys where they have to stay if they wish to avail of their social welfare money ,let's say a massive camp at the curragh? Then fast track their applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Hello Roderic ,I was wondering when you would rejoin the discussion by the way this is a discussion about refugees and asylum seekers ,migrants are more then welcome to apply for work permits if they don't receive a visa

A lot of the tents have now moved to the Canal by Mount Street.

If it isn't dispersed, this camp is likley to grow very quickly, considering there appears to be no capacity to house these people and the asylum seeker numbers arriving into the state are at record levels.

What will the govt's next move be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

This counter argument is very poor. I think the vast majority of us have no issue with people coming into the country for the correct reasons via the correct channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Fully agree with this post.

The constant spams and baiters are ruinning a serious mature discussion which is the biggest crisis I can recall, up there with covid.

We might not live along the Grand Canal or near the IPA centres, but diverting the resources away from our local hospitals, schools, day care centres, council parks & playgrounds, animal welfare funding, etc to pay for (and it seems to prioritize) illegal migrants affects every single person legally residing within our state.

I think the problem with any camps or such is we don’t actually detain anyone - we let off to roam around the place which is bonkers to me.

And before anyone asks - yes I fully support detention of anyone who arrives here with no documentation and/or under false pretenses illegally until their identity is established and they are brought into the existing system or ejected from the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If you're able to read then read the thread title.

What is interrsting here is that the govt disperesed the camps on Mount St and Harris said there will be no shanty towns.

But the shanty town has moved to the canal within a matter of days.

Will it be cleared or will it grow larger?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

It will be cleared again and then men arriving to the IPO will head to the lighthouse charity and received tents and the cycle will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Tents are here to stay. Even if we do fast processing and reject a lot of applications that still won't help. That will just mean supports will be reduced or cut off to loads of former applicants but we won't deport. Supports being reduced or cut off to rejected applicants will result in more tents.

An unprecedented number of asylum applicants have attended the International Protection Office over the past week seeking safe shelter.

On one day 200 people were expected to attend but 290 actually turned up.

There was an error displaying this embed.

It is understood that those who do not have accommodation are on a list, and fresh capacity is due to come on stream, in two traunches, this week.

It is hoped that this new accommodation will, at least for now, resolve the problem of asylum seekers pitching tents along the Grand Canal.

Mad how fast our elected representatives can get things on stream in traunches when they want to.

20 years of UHL A&E chaos.

10+ years of housing pressure.

Permanent USC

Etc etc etc …

Advertisement