Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes this type of 'solution' has been proposed already. Move the application office to somewhere down the country, get it out of Dublin. Could very easily be set up in the Curragh as you say, with a large standing camp maintained by the Defence Forces. All applicants to go and stay there until processed. Daily check in there, so if anyone goes missing, they can be removed from any process and details to Gardaí to track down and deport.

That would be a logical planned approach. Of course the civil servants managing applications, barristers and charities mightn't be too happy with the extra inconvenience but that should be bottom of concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

i don't see why this should be seen as a far out plan. The idea that we just let any tom, dick or harry into the country and they can just aimlessly walk out of centres within a couple of days of arriving is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

For literally the 100th time, nobody here is against legal migration with visas issued for defined areas of the economy that have a skills shortage.

I think that some posters here are either purposefully claiming not to understand basic issues or are deliberately trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Get Real

It'll grow larger. I think it was a mistake for Harris to say that there'll be no shanty towns.

He or anyone can't possibly control on a minute by minute basis the actions of a group of a few hundred people.

If that area of the canal was cleared right this minute, what's to stop NGOs giving tents out tomorrow and a group organising to set up on another area of the canal (or phoenix park or church grounds or wherever)

I think specifically, the canal is a difficult one. The tents are on grass verges at the minute. The land is managed by waterways Ireland. The only law I can see is it's illegal to pitch a tent for more than a week in the same location on a canal path.

Even if..IF after a week, action is taken by waterways Ireland, that probably involves a court order or something. Say that's successful after a week, then time getting council in to move the tents and so on...

All of it to be done for tents to emerge the next day a few 100m away and the process to begin again?

That's no solution.

There will be tents so long as there'll be either 1) applicants coming without the facilities to house them

or

2) so long as there are people or organisations willing to facilitate the pitching of tents in order to keep the issue in the media and use it as a platform to demand x,y or z. (The pessimist in me includes a demand for an increase in funding for these organisations that have a board and pay staff members salaries)

Just in case there's any confusion either, I'm not anti immigrant. I think diversity is an education and the spice of life.

I'm making a point specifically in relation to why the tent situation isn't going to end, and it's foolish of politicians or senior civil servants to put an absolute temporary band aid that clearly doesn't account for human actions and motives and people will clearly set up elsewhere within a day.

It's a symptom of the failed system we have, moving the tents in a cat and mouse game is 1% of the problem and the one you should be addressing last.

The govt needs to make the big boy decisions surrounding entry in the first place, speed of decision and implementation of rejections.

At the moment, anyone can come, govt know there's nowhere to put them and while waiting can pitch a tent. If the system was changed, the tents wouldn't be there in the first place.

Moving them every so often while addressing none of the other moving parts of our asylum process achieves absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The difference in people arriving with some semblance of a plan rather than just to pitch up a tent and hold up a sign that says 'give me'

Clowns like you quoted will never get it, just happy to row along with the idea that a proportion of Irish people are 'far right' in the 1930's Germany sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No resources are being 'diverted' anywhere - the country is operating a budget surplus and has done for the last three years i.e. we have money in the national exchequer that is not even being spent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I never understand this mindset tbh. It's borne of extreme privilege.

We wouldn't have agency nurses? But no mention of the shortfall this policy is causing in other countries that can't hold on to qualified medical staff long enough to set up proper healthcare for their people. But a rich life is worth more than a poor life, am I right?

And we wouldn't have Deliveroo drivers? But no mention of the only reason we need foreigners for this sort of job being that huge companies are able to take advantage of poverty to drive down wages and make more profits. If they had to hire Irish staff, we might actually have a more balanced society because they'd have to pay higher wages, creating better jobs. That'd be awful of course. Yeah, you'd have to pay a couple of quid more for your Deliveroo, but so what?

Add in the climate change impact of flying these people in from all over the world, and you can see why your view is absurdly short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do they not publish the figures on how many are in indefinite detention?

I've been looking and can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

However we have a massive national debt and a chronic housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

”we wouldn’t have Deliveroo drivers” Drivers are being paid peanuts and are often in dangerous conditions just to deliver burgers to people. Maybe Deliveroo isn’t the best example of how society is improved

And again, legal migration through the correct means is a good thing. I’m just not sure I’d use Deliveroo as an example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

there’s legal migration and there’s illegal entry -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agree with most of this and lots of fair points.

The only thing I disagree with is that the speed of rejections, threshold for rejection etc is the solution.

Housing capacity to house the residual approved applications is the only way to prevent homelessness/tents on the street.

Stronger entry conditions, strict deportations etc of course helps, but when all is said and done, there will always be a number of approved applicants that we agree to accommodate.

The first focus should be on projecting those numbers and then making sure we have the accommodation for them, if we want to ensure that tent cities dont spring up across the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

There’s legal migration… the nurses and there's illegal entry -two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's just bad management by an out of touch Government and an untouchable senior civil service..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you not read the posts that mention our housing and health crisis?

That is an outrageous, disingenuous and arrogant comment. And just goes to show how out of touch some are with current day realities in Ireland.

There are many groups of Irish citizens suffering mostly silently due to lock of investment in all the things we know about. And here we see a disgraceful and insulting comment that 'no resources are being diverted'. Apparently it's all magic money and magic resources and magic time that are being dispensed into looking after the needs of people who've no business being here, who are not Irish citizens and to whom we have very, very limited duty of care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Tell me again how much our national debt is? You don't think we should try reduce that and avoid any future interest rate shocks, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DisgustedTunbridgeWells

I am no apologist for Roderic O'Gorman but his department has been left to deal with this problem while the rest of the government looked away. Now it has gotten to the stage where it literally cannot be ignored and is being picked up by international news agencies and the whole of government has to deal with it or at least acknowledge it is a problem. The signs were all there, we are about 2 years behind Germany and Sweden and are going to end up like them unless something drastic does not happen soon to control the numbers coming into Ireland illegally - But what to do with the border we have with a non-EU country ? I do not have the answer but presumably the reason we elect the government is for them to deal with difficult issues on our behalf and in our best interests. It is hard not to conclude that the goverment have failed thusfar.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I expect they are published in Danish, the Danes are fairly competent at recording statistics, that said, media interest in the policy appears to have waned and I’d imagine that accounts for the lack of English language statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Where is the evidence that money is being "diverted" because of asylum seekers? The asylum process would be very expensive at the best of times and budgeted for and we are operating a budget surplus of around €8bn per year. Also, money spent on accommodating asylum seekers is still going back into the economy by indirect means.

This is the old Brexity "let's leave the EU and send £350m a week to the NHS instead" stuff being rehashed. I'm not arguing that it is a good thing that money is being spent on all this, but there is no evidence that resources that would have gone to schools and hospitals and essential services etc is not being spent because of the current asylum system situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think I’m going to buy shares in tent companies 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where are the #2 going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

I've a suggestion for you. Take your own household budget based on your own income. Now take a good size chunk out of it and hand it to strangers on the street.

Then tell me that diverting this chunk of money has no impact on your own household budget, that you will need to make no sacrifices elsewhere.

A sharp dose of reality is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

So we don’t have open borders, except for the open borders that we have.

That’s some genius level logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

To me that post is typical of the pro immigration side of the argument, deflect and negate. Our national debt is astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

EU law prevents it. EU citizens have freedom of movement to work. If an EU citizen rocks up in Ireland and cannot support themselves, then under EU law, they can be repatriated home.

Just because WE (Ireland) don’t do it, doesn’t mean that it cannot be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

who cares?

no more are welcome in this country. I dont care how much money we have.

We have to have rules and order or this gets worse, people will get violent etc.

We are not a dumping ground for the world.

It must stop NOW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

500 million people in the EU are entitled to come here.

That is more than enough in my view for a tiny island nation.

In my view even that has to stop.

Skilled migrants only.

People that are not dependant on welfare. No more handouts. Time to get real!

Advertisement