Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I responded to a comment on policies that would render Ireland an unattractive prospect for migrants, accommodation provision would only be unattractive if it were paired with a policy of detention. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

If and when they're moved from the canal it should be made clear that pack up their own tents and to clean up all their trash and leave the area as you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As a previous poster said, it is bizarre that certain charities and outreach organisations are actively supporting the tent encampments, in direct opposition to Government policy on clearing so called "shanty towns".

I never thought I would ever say it, but at this stage, the IPAS and mass accommodation centres should move to the Curragh camp or similar now.

That won't solve the "freedom of movement" of AS into the towns around I suppose, but it is accommodation, and if it doesn't suit the AS, well what are they looking for if not food and shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Because of the harping on about statistics that quite clearly don't tell the full picture?

I get the reference now!

Do you think Michael will have Dublin 3 figures for other EU countries ready for the next hearing? 'Do your job', am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Mixed messages from Leo and Simon, Leo basically said you can live wherever you want but Simon is saying absolutely not, not in his back yard anyway.

Nobody gets a veto don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Succesful applicants wouldnt face detention centres though. I was talking about succesful applicants only.

Once your deterrents & failed applications are processed, you still have a residual number of succesful applicants.

If we dont have enough accommodation for the succesful applicants, we end up with people on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

I’m willing to be wrong, but I haven’t seen much, if any of those type of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If the discussion is on policies of deterrence, then accommodation provision is on the periphery of that, it is relevant in as far as any asylum system has to address the issue of accommodation but it is distinct from policies of deterrence, if is was paired with a policy of detention, or if was question of locating accommodation at ports of entry instead of in centralised areas, then it would verge on a policy of deterrence but otherwise it is a tangent. In discussing accommodation provision you have introduced a different topic from the one that was being discussed, which is fine, but reducing the Daily Expenses Allowance, limiting access to the Medical Card, increasing the threshold for protection and all that were mentioned because we were explicitly discussing policies of deterrence and Ireland’s attractiveness to migrants. Absolutely accommodation is an issue that has to be addressed but it is distinct from deterrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Nah,it'll be the taxpayer, the council, that will be cleaning up after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Both can be true at once. We literally have a shanty town developed because there is nowhere for people to go.

Anyone who comes at with this statements now is of a gaslighting character.

I hope people in the Department of Justice and Department of Integration are working today to fix this mess. Imagine the number of people that will turn up at the IPO tomorrow if it's closed today and they'll be further behind.

Do you mean deterrence in the Danish sense where they lock people who can't be deported up indefinitely, deliberately using inhumane conditions?

How many have they locked up these days?

Do they do the same for children?

How does that impact on employment rates, and your measures of contribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭scottser

Fix Europe’s housing crisis or risk fuelling the far-right, UN expert warns https://www.theguardian.com/news/article/2024/may/06/fix-europe-housing-crisis-risk-fuelling-far-right-un-expert-warns?CMP=share_btn_url

I’ve the impression that they are actually fairly low, in the hundreds rather than in the thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes this type of 'solution' has been proposed already. Move the application office to somewhere down the country, get it out of Dublin. Could very easily be set up in the Curragh as you say, with a large standing camp maintained by the Defence Forces. All applicants to go and stay there until processed. Daily check in there, so if anyone goes missing, they can be removed from any process and details to Gardaí to track down and deport.

That would be a logical planned approach. Of course the civil servants managing applications, barristers and charities mightn't be too happy with the extra inconvenience but that should be bottom of concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭prunudo

i don't see why this should be seen as a far out plan. The idea that we just let any tom, dick or harry into the country and they can just aimlessly walk out of centres within a couple of days of arriving is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

For literally the 100th time, nobody here is against legal migration with visas issued for defined areas of the economy that have a skills shortage.

I think that some posters here are either purposefully claiming not to understand basic issues or are deliberately trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

It'll grow larger. I think it was a mistake for Harris to say that there'll be no shanty towns.

He or anyone can't possibly control on a minute by minute basis the actions of a group of a few hundred people.

If that area of the canal was cleared right this minute, what's to stop NGOs giving tents out tomorrow and a group organising to set up on another area of the canal (or phoenix park or church grounds or wherever)

I think specifically, the canal is a difficult one. The tents are on grass verges at the minute. The land is managed by waterways Ireland. The only law I can see is it's illegal to pitch a tent for more than a week in the same location on a canal path.

Even if..IF after a week, action is taken by waterways Ireland, that probably involves a court order or something. Say that's successful after a week, then time getting council in to move the tents and so on...

All of it to be done for tents to emerge the next day a few 100m away and the process to begin again?

That's no solution.

There will be tents so long as there'll be either 1) applicants coming without the facilities to house them

or

2) so long as there are people or organisations willing to facilitate the pitching of tents in order to keep the issue in the media and use it as a platform to demand x,y or z. (The pessimist in me includes a demand for an increase in funding for these organisations that have a board and pay staff members salaries)

Just in case there's any confusion either, I'm not anti immigrant. I think diversity is an education and the spice of life.

I'm making a point specifically in relation to why the tent situation isn't going to end, and it's foolish of politicians or senior civil servants to put an absolute temporary band aid that clearly doesn't account for human actions and motives and people will clearly set up elsewhere within a day.

It's a symptom of the failed system we have, moving the tents in a cat and mouse game is 1% of the problem and the one you should be addressing last.

The govt needs to make the big boy decisions surrounding entry in the first place, speed of decision and implementation of rejections.

At the moment, anyone can come, govt know there's nowhere to put them and while waiting can pitch a tent. If the system was changed, the tents wouldn't be there in the first place.

Moving them every so often while addressing none of the other moving parts of our asylum process achieves absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The difference in people arriving with some semblance of a plan rather than just to pitch up a tent and hold up a sign that says 'give me'

Clowns like you quoted will never get it, just happy to row along with the idea that a proportion of Irish people are 'far right' in the 1930's Germany sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No resources are being 'diverted' anywhere - the country is operating a budget surplus and has done for the last three years i.e. we have money in the national exchequer that is not even being spent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I never understand this mindset tbh. It's borne of extreme privilege.

We wouldn't have agency nurses? But no mention of the shortfall this policy is causing in other countries that can't hold on to qualified medical staff long enough to set up proper healthcare for their people. But a rich life is worth more than a poor life, am I right?

And we wouldn't have Deliveroo drivers? But no mention of the only reason we need foreigners for this sort of job being that huge companies are able to take advantage of poverty to drive down wages and make more profits. If they had to hire Irish staff, we might actually have a more balanced society because they'd have to pay higher wages, creating better jobs. That'd be awful of course. Yeah, you'd have to pay a couple of quid more for your Deliveroo, but so what?

Add in the climate change impact of flying these people in from all over the world, and you can see why your view is absurdly short-sighted.

Do they not publish the figures on how many are in indefinite detention?

I've been looking and can't find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

However we have a massive national debt and a chronic housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

”we wouldn’t have Deliveroo drivers” Drivers are being paid peanuts and are often in dangerous conditions just to deliver burgers to people. Maybe Deliveroo isn’t the best example of how society is improved

And again, legal migration through the correct means is a good thing. I’m just not sure I’d use Deliveroo as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tarvis

there’s legal migration and there’s illegal entry -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agree with most of this and lots of fair points.

The only thing I disagree with is that the speed of rejections, threshold for rejection etc is the solution.

Housing capacity to house the residual approved applications is the only way to prevent homelessness/tents on the street.

Stronger entry conditions, strict deportations etc of course helps, but when all is said and done, there will always be a number of approved applicants that we agree to accommodate.

The first focus should be on projecting those numbers and then making sure we have the accommodation for them, if we want to ensure that tent cities dont spring up across the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tarvis

There’s legal migration… the nurses and there's illegal entry -two very different things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement