Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's just bad management by an out of touch Government and an untouchable senior civil service..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you not read the posts that mention our housing and health crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That is an outrageous, disingenuous and arrogant comment. And just goes to show how out of touch some are with current day realities in Ireland.

There are many groups of Irish citizens suffering mostly silently due to lock of investment in all the things we know about. And here we see a disgraceful and insulting comment that 'no resources are being diverted'. Apparently it's all magic money and magic resources and magic time that are being dispensed into looking after the needs of people who've no business being here, who are not Irish citizens and to whom we have very, very limited duty of care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Tell me again how much our national debt is? You don't think we should try reduce that and avoid any future interest rate shocks, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DisgustedTunbridgeWells

I am no apologist for Roderic O'Gorman but his department has been left to deal with this problem while the rest of the government looked away. Now it has gotten to the stage where it literally cannot be ignored and is being picked up by international news agencies and the whole of government has to deal with it or at least acknowledge it is a problem. The signs were all there, we are about 2 years behind Germany and Sweden and are going to end up like them unless something drastic does not happen soon to control the numbers coming into Ireland illegally - But what to do with the border we have with a non-EU country ? I do not have the answer but presumably the reason we elect the government is for them to deal with difficult issues on our behalf and in our best interests. It is hard not to conclude that the goverment have failed thusfar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I expect they are published in Danish, the Danes are fairly competent at recording statistics, that said, media interest in the policy appears to have waned and I’d imagine that accounts for the lack of English language statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Where is the evidence that money is being "diverted" because of asylum seekers? The asylum process would be very expensive at the best of times and budgeted for and we are operating a budget surplus of around €8bn per year. Also, money spent on accommodating asylum seekers is still going back into the economy by indirect means.

This is the old Brexity "let's leave the EU and send £350m a week to the NHS instead" stuff being rehashed. I'm not arguing that it is a good thing that money is being spent on all this, but there is no evidence that resources that would have gone to schools and hospitals and essential services etc is not being spent because of the current asylum system situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think I’m going to buy shares in tent companies 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where are the #2 going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've a suggestion for you. Take your own household budget based on your own income. Now take a good size chunk out of it and hand it to strangers on the street.

Then tell me that diverting this chunk of money has no impact on your own household budget, that you will need to make no sacrifices elsewhere.

A sharp dose of reality is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

So we don’t have open borders, except for the open borders that we have.

That’s some genius level logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

To me that post is typical of the pro immigration side of the argument, deflect and negate. Our national debt is astronomical.

EU law prevents it. EU citizens have freedom of movement to work. If an EU citizen rocks up in Ireland and cannot support themselves, then under EU law, they can be repatriated home.

Just because WE (Ireland) don’t do it, doesn’t mean that it cannot be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

who cares?

no more are welcome in this country. I dont care how much money we have.

We have to have rules and order or this gets worse, people will get violent etc.

We are not a dumping ground for the world.

It must stop NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

500 million people in the EU are entitled to come here.

That is more than enough in my view for a tiny island nation.

In my view even that has to stop.

Skilled migrants only.

People that are not dependant on welfare. No more handouts. Time to get real!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭pureza

Its not brexity at all

Why the fcuk should little old ireland pay out money for and to opportunist economic migrants who travelled across half of safe Europe and the Uk to get here ?

Why ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Roderic O'Gorman's Department wasn't burning vast amounts of cash enriching property speculators and "hoteliers", perhaps there may be more money available to improve pay and conditions for newly trained Irish nurses, to the point they would no longer feel the need to spend years in New South Wales earning enough for a deposit on a house? There would be less of a requirement for agency nurses in such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

hospital waiting lists out of control

Waiting a week or 2 to see ur GP.

No assessment of Irish kids for yrs to get a bit of help in schools

Restaurants closing all over the shop due to government regulations

Irish agriculture being destroyed due to government cause we must save the planet while allowing everyone else in cause we’re “rich”
    home help non existent cause we don’t have money for the natives but hey free medical cards for the scammers

No essential dental checks for Irish primary school kids cause we have obligations to Mohammad from fuckmenistan.

No housing for paddy cause we must give them and buy them for you know who

Irish government buying up property to house non Natives before our own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That pro migration protest outside the GPO today not getting mention at all on any Irish news so far.

Only checked there on the live GPO camera and it's tiny, more guards than protestors.

Their numbers weren't much better earlier in the day, few tiktok videos showing the counter protestor on the far side of the road being much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Id put up a hard border in the north this is ridiculous we are being totally exploited

• Registered Users Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how is irish agriculture being destroyed by the government? is dairy etc. not booming?

But that’s my point. If someone lands here from France, or Sweden, or Poland and they can’t support themselves, we are allowed under EU law to send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The protest numbers have definitely increased today and the more moderate working general public are drifting into it. People who would be right in the FG and FF voting demographic.

Newtownmountkennedy probably played into that as people got a view of how far the state are willing to go with things. Also, the loss of control over our borders and emergence of shanty towns.

This will only get bigger and bigger. Harris and McEntee are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd love to see the full stats on a person who comes here from a safe country.

They arrive with no documents and exactly how long it takes their decision to be reached,how many times they are allowed to appeal and then what happens at the end of the appeal process.

Also, what happens to a person who commits a crime whilst in international protection accommodation. Are they allowed to continue to apply for asylum as normal and would a crime affect the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The whole AS process is a bit of a mystery to a lot of people i've asked. What exactly happens at the mount street office and why are so many waiting around there? Is the initial application made there, or is it where interviews with IP officers who make the decision take place?

From what I can gather, applicants can be offered state accommodation but it's not compulsory and once the application is made, the person can live anywhere, eg friends, or sadly, in a tent when nothing else is possible.

So when an initial application is made, does that provide paperwork that allows people stay in the state and claim various supports, ie allowance, med card etc until the application is determined which seemingly can take months. If unsuccessful, an appeal is made and all supports continue - is that the process? Are AS applicants obliged to stay in the state while waiting for a decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I can find all sorts of details abouts the camps in English language publications, the locations, punishment ethos, use of solitary confinement for minor infractions, detention of children and so on. I would think if these numbers were published they'd be readily available. It's certainly a factor of huge importance.

I think we'd have to know also how many leave these camps and move onto other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Should we keep increasing nursing rates to be in line with Saudi Arabia etc?

Where does that end?

For clarity I'm all for nurses being well paid and especially being able to afford rent and housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

A speaker at the immigration march/demonstration in town just said this about the Irish media.

"you pointed your finger, now the whole country is pointing back at you."

Advertisement