Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭pureza

Its not brexity at all

Why the fcuk should little old ireland pay out money for and to opportunist economic migrants who travelled across half of safe Europe and the Uk to get here ?

Why ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If Roderic O'Gorman's Department wasn't burning vast amounts of cash enriching property speculators and "hoteliers", perhaps there may be more money available to improve pay and conditions for newly trained Irish nurses, to the point they would no longer feel the need to spend years in New South Wales earning enough for a deposit on a house? There would be less of a requirement for agency nurses in such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

hospital waiting lists out of control

Waiting a week or 2 to see ur GP.

No assessment of Irish kids for yrs to get a bit of help in schools

Restaurants closing all over the shop due to government regulations

Irish agriculture being destroyed due to government cause we must save the planet while allowing everyone else in cause we’re “rich”
    home help non existent cause we don’t have money for the natives but hey free medical cards for the scammers

No essential dental checks for Irish primary school kids cause we have obligations to Mohammad from fuckmenistan.

No housing for paddy cause we must give them and buy them for you know who

Irish government buying up property to house non Natives before our own

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That pro migration protest outside the GPO today not getting mention at all on any Irish news so far.

Only checked there on the live GPO camera and it's tiny, more guards than protestors.

Their numbers weren't much better earlier in the day, few tiktok videos showing the counter protestor on the far side of the road being much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Id put up a hard border in the north this is ridiculous we are being totally exploited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how is irish agriculture being destroyed by the government? is dairy etc. not booming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

But that’s my point. If someone lands here from France, or Sweden, or Poland and they can’t support themselves, we are allowed under EU law to send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The protest numbers have definitely increased today and the more moderate working general public are drifting into it. People who would be right in the FG and FF voting demographic.

Newtownmountkennedy probably played into that as people got a view of how far the state are willing to go with things. Also, the loss of control over our borders and emergence of shanty towns.

This will only get bigger and bigger. Harris and McEntee are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd love to see the full stats on a person who comes here from a safe country.

They arrive with no documents and exactly how long it takes their decision to be reached,how many times they are allowed to appeal and then what happens at the end of the appeal process.

Also, what happens to a person who commits a crime whilst in international protection accommodation. Are they allowed to continue to apply for asylum as normal and would a crime affect the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The whole AS process is a bit of a mystery to a lot of people i've asked. What exactly happens at the mount street office and why are so many waiting around there? Is the initial application made there, or is it where interviews with IP officers who make the decision take place?

From what I can gather, applicants can be offered state accommodation but it's not compulsory and once the application is made, the person can live anywhere, eg friends, or sadly, in a tent when nothing else is possible.

So when an initial application is made, does that provide paperwork that allows people stay in the state and claim various supports, ie allowance, med card etc until the application is determined which seemingly can take months. If unsuccessful, an appeal is made and all supports continue - is that the process? Are AS applicants obliged to stay in the state while waiting for a decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I can find all sorts of details abouts the camps in English language publications, the locations, punishment ethos, use of solitary confinement for minor infractions, detention of children and so on. I would think if these numbers were published they'd be readily available. It's certainly a factor of huge importance.

I think we'd have to know also how many leave these camps and move onto other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Should we keep increasing nursing rates to be in line with Saudi Arabia etc?

Where does that end?

For clarity I'm all for nurses being well paid and especially being able to afford rent and housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

A speaker at the immigration march/demonstration in town just said this about the Irish media.

"you pointed your finger, now the whole country is pointing back at you."

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I remember there being figures reported a few years ago, at the time when the media was interested on policy, I’d imagine that overlaps with the resources you are referencing but they are outdated and, as I say, media interest has waned significantly. I suspect the figures are published in Danish but unless you speak Danish they would be difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

The problem with government and media propaganda is that it needs to be escalated over time to keep working. It is already pretty extreme so escalating further will be difficult. The alternative is the government bringing in extreme laws to crackdown on dissent but I can't see them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

we've just had the garda helicopter fly over a rural village for 2 hours to monitor a peaceful protest with approx 200 people, there are water cannons nearby and the mounted unit are also in the area. Thats on top of a garda presence that has never been seen in this town before. All because the government are trying to bulldoze through an unpopular and very wrong development.

This policing is costing a fortune, in the flipside, I have a friend who is on a waiting list to get a lump checked, no date, just waiting to get an appointment to be seen. So, to say I'm a bit pissed about the money be wasted on this bullshit is an understatement.

This will only get bigger and bigger. Harris and McEntee are finished

One thing I've noticed in the last week is that FF are very much in the sidelines, I think they are hoping Harris, McEntee and O'O'Gorman are the names associated with this mess. He wouldn't be getting my vote, but even Donnelly, who's constituency includes Newtown has been very silent on everything. I'm even wondering will Donnelly run again.

"Simon harris doesn't care who is outside your door, he only cares about who is outside his door."

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Disgusting intimidation. Utterly wrong.

Take lots of footage, it'll go global

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just as an aside, I think Donnelly is getting to grips with Health. He’s analytical and so we’re finally getting facts and figures on individual hospitals’ performance. And for example, he’s chasing down where the 50m went which was supposed to speed up scoliosis operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

Do you think there are no women asylum seekers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree and to add to that Michael Martin has weighed in with a critical comment and there was a leak from the parliamentary party meeting over McEntees performance.

If locals and Europeans are bad I think they will pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-legal-bill-after-pamela-and-girls-finally-deported/26753400.html

I remember this case well. One of many and there were plenty of bleeding hearts nice people who tried every conceivable angle to get her to remain even after it was proven she was a liar and using forged documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sticking plasters everywhere. Next week we'll need to find accomodation for 200 more, and 200 more the week after and the week after that... at what point will the government admit we are overwhelmed and can not cope anymore?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0506/1447575-asylum-seekers-accommodation/

the dogs on the street know we're at capacity. FG have forgotten how to listen to the electorate and now only listen to media advisers and people who have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

You're disavowing your own document when selections are quoted to you. You do understand you have disavowed your own retort. You do also understand that this means you are withdrawing from challenging the core point and that this is a capitulatory stance.

Your second and third paragraph attempts to conflate low paid work with the issue. Low renumerated employment is distinct and seperate to the discussion at hand. I find this troubling to your stance as you are reaffirming that an asylum seeker will not ever progress past low renumerated employment at best; which is a more damming point to asylum seekers than I was attempting to outline.

This not only upholds the view I am attempting to advance but it implies you are happy for particular categories of immigrants, (asylum seekers) to remain as second class citizens existing to provide a life of dare I say endentured servitude with the resulting social and economic neglect and deprivation.

I find this a foul stance and exculpatory evidence that their welfare and the welfare of other citizens is not your concern at all.

It is wrong of us to allow our society to allow citizens come to this country for them to permanently be consigned to endentured servitude or dare I say modern slavery. It further repulses me that a country without a history of slavery would have people supporting policies that will create just that espectfully with the ethnic make up of groups involved.

I attempted to outline the cost implications for society by admitting asylum seekers as we do but as you have revealed in your 'counter' argument I do not think I will ever wish to speak to you again because of your abhorrent views.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

They'll buy and fill empty houses if they have to. They're already doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks I’m only getting in on this thread now as people I never expected to go to these rallies have gone to one today.
    What happens to people that come to Ireland seeking asylum that might have skills such as nurse, electrician, blocklayer, carpenter, teacher?
    Are they fast tracked into the workforce or are they given/made source a tent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

but what about if some of these people can actually work? Build houses, be nurses, teach?

Advertisement