Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

I remember there being figures reported a few years ago, at the time when the media was interested on policy, I’d imagine that overlaps with the resources you are referencing but they are outdated and, as I say, media interest has waned significantly. I suspect the figures are published in Danish but unless you speak Danish they would be difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

The problem with government and media propaganda is that it needs to be escalated over time to keep working. It is already pretty extreme so escalating further will be difficult. The alternative is the government bringing in extreme laws to crackdown on dissent but I can't see them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭prunudo

we've just had the garda helicopter fly over a rural village for 2 hours to monitor a peaceful protest with approx 200 people, there are water cannons nearby and the mounted unit are also in the area. Thats on top of a garda presence that has never been seen in this town before. All because the government are trying to bulldoze through an unpopular and very wrong development.

This policing is costing a fortune, in the flipside, I have a friend who is on a waiting list to get a lump checked, no date, just waiting to get an appointment to be seen. So, to say I'm a bit pissed about the money be wasted on this bullshit is an understatement.

This will only get bigger and bigger. Harris and McEntee are finished

One thing I've noticed in the last week is that FF are very much in the sidelines, I think they are hoping Harris, McEntee and O'O'Gorman are the names associated with this mess. He wouldn't be getting my vote, but even Donnelly, who's constituency includes Newtown has been very silent on everything. I'm even wondering will Donnelly run again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

"Simon harris doesn't care who is outside your door, he only cares about who is outside his door."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Disgusting intimidation. Utterly wrong.

Take lots of footage, it'll go global

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just as an aside, I think Donnelly is getting to grips with Health. He’s analytical and so we’re finally getting facts and figures on individual hospitals’ performance. And for example, he’s chasing down where the 50m went which was supposed to speed up scoliosis operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Do you think there are no women asylum seekers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree and to add to that Michael Martin has weighed in with a critical comment and there was a leak from the parliamentary party meeting over McEntees performance.

If locals and Europeans are bad I think they will pull the plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1m-legal-bill-after-pamela-and-girls-finally-deported/26753400.html

I remember this case well. One of many and there were plenty of bleeding hearts nice people who tried every conceivable angle to get her to remain even after it was proven she was a liar and using forged documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sticking plasters everywhere. Next week we'll need to find accomodation for 200 more, and 200 more the week after and the week after that... at what point will the government admit we are overwhelmed and can not cope anymore?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0506/1447575-asylum-seekers-accommodation/

the dogs on the street know we're at capacity. FG have forgotten how to listen to the electorate and now only listen to media advisers and people who have skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

You're disavowing your own document when selections are quoted to you. You do understand you have disavowed your own retort. You do also understand that this means you are withdrawing from challenging the core point and that this is a capitulatory stance.

Your second and third paragraph attempts to conflate low paid work with the issue. Low renumerated employment is distinct and seperate to the discussion at hand. I find this troubling to your stance as you are reaffirming that an asylum seeker will not ever progress past low renumerated employment at best; which is a more damming point to asylum seekers than I was attempting to outline.

This not only upholds the view I am attempting to advance but it implies you are happy for particular categories of immigrants, (asylum seekers) to remain as second class citizens existing to provide a life of dare I say endentured servitude with the resulting social and economic neglect and deprivation.

I find this a foul stance and exculpatory evidence that their welfare and the welfare of other citizens is not your concern at all.

It is wrong of us to allow our society to allow citizens come to this country for them to permanently be consigned to endentured servitude or dare I say modern slavery. It further repulses me that a country without a history of slavery would have people supporting policies that will create just that espectfully with the ethnic make up of groups involved.

I attempted to outline the cost implications for society by admitting asylum seekers as we do but as you have revealed in your 'counter' argument I do not think I will ever wish to speak to you again because of your abhorrent views.

They'll buy and fill empty houses if they have to. They're already doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks I’m only getting in on this thread now as people I never expected to go to these rallies have gone to one today.
    What happens to people that come to Ireland seeking asylum that might have skills such as nurse, electrician, blocklayer, carpenter, teacher?
    Are they fast tracked into the workforce or are they given/made source a tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

but what about if some of these people can actually work? Build houses, be nurses, teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭mikethecop

a lot of the ones ive met seem to be service industry kitchen staff, taxi drivers in the uk, one lad had a vape shop in Edinburgh, a few of the older Georgians do a bit of ground work while the younger ones sell coke to the other IPAS residents, but that just what I ve seen. Skilled workers like you mention aren't claiming asylum as far as i can see., coming in getting work permits and jobs and getting on with it fair play to them

apply through the proper work visa system. Anyone arriving here without id or papers should be treated with absolute skepticism. We're being taken for fools due to our good nature and always taking people at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

A fairly generous interpretation of the human capital available in the asylum seeker demographic, the Department of Social Protection will be fortunate to fund Safe Pass and find them employment as security.

• Advertisement

More waste of our money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Figures on the Indo web this afternoon for the breakdown of where the Ukes and Illegals are being rammed into against the wishes of the people.

My county Kerry, is being utterly invaded, we have 4 times the national average and 33 times that of Dunlaoghaire at over 7000 now.

Killarney has been destroyed and in Kenmare, good young local people who have worked here for a decade or more are leaving because they can't find somewhere to live.

Council rates have been tripled, and businesses closing left right and centre.

This isn't going to end well for the greedy hoteliers or the "sure what can we do" politicians - some of them on the make themselves from the destruction of the county.

The anger is palpable in every conversation these days.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

No mention of the protest on the VM news at 5:30, funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

that was quick since the protest outside harrises house for 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think it's a waste of money. Let's not kid ourselves there are some absolute nutters out there and nobody should be threatened doing their jobs especially at their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Thinking the same. **** hell - like how can you ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

I agree that people ought to be left do their job - if they are capable of doing it.

It's the scum parties and ex Taoiseach who allowed a silly child to be in the most important job in the country right now who bear the blame for the 30 second protest outside Harris's house.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

You reap what you sow.

They wouldn't listen. Called people nazis and racists. Let god knows who into this little country. Destroyed every part of our homeland our mother's and fathers built.

They brought this all on themselves.

No sympathy for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I hope your friend gets looked after quickly. I attend four different public clinics in a major Dublin hospital every few weeks/months and I have observed a significant increase in middle-aged and older immigrants attending the clinics, many of them don't have any English and might bring a family member or two to assist with translation etc. The waiting time can be up to 5 or 6 hours (it used to be 3) just to see a doctor.

The health system could barely cope since I've been attending hospitals for various conditions, which was around 2003, just before Harney came in.

Someone just mentioned Donnelly is analytical, well according to the CSO Ireland's population grew by nearly 100,000 in 2023, of that 81,000 were non EU/UK citizens including 42k Ukrainians. Has Donnelly used his analytical skills to put resources in place to deal with this influx. Obviously, a good cohort of the immigrants will not require hospital services yet, but primary care, yes that concept successive Ministers for Health were heralding as the solution to all problems in the system, is on its knees. You can't get a doctor's appointment in Dublin. My own GP just refers patients to A&E now as there are no appointments available, even the out of hours service is under severe pressure.

We all heard about the massive problems Limerick University Hospital is experiencing, and not a word from Donnelly on how it is to be managed. I'd be terrified bringing a family member to the A&E there given recent reports.

How is Donnelly going to manage with a massive increase in population, Irish nurses leaving in their droves and an ageing population especially when the Government pick numbers out if the air like McEntee's 80% claim regarding asylum seeker numbers from the North. I'd say they haven't a clue how many people are coming in. How they are going to plan to build the infrastructure that is needed to keep the lights on in the health service nevermind resourcing Model 4 hospitals or 'Centres of Excellence'.

This is just one consequence of the increase in population and it's an absolute mess. More immigrants are landing in the country each day, and there seems to be no end in sight. Of course, the more immigrants that arrive, the more staff will be required to service our health system and other services. It's like a catch-22 situation.

It is very challenging to remain optimistic for the future of this country, I simply don't have any faith in the government's or opposition's ability to solve our problems.

• Advertisement

They've just been talking about the tents along the canal on VM news and at the end of the report I'm pretty sure they said IP applicants who haven't had accommodation provided yet will receive €75 extra added to their daily allowance.

Is that correct?

Advertisement