Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

a lot of the ones ive met seem to be service industry kitchen staff, taxi drivers in the uk, one lad had a vape shop in Edinburgh, a few of the older Georgians do a bit of ground work while the younger ones sell coke to the other IPAS residents, but that just what I ve seen. Skilled workers like you mention aren't claiming asylum as far as i can see., coming in getting work permits and jobs and getting on with it fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

apply through the proper work visa system. Anyone arriving here without id or papers should be treated with absolute skepticism. We're being taken for fools due to our good nature and always taking people at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

A fairly generous interpretation of the human capital available in the asylum seeker demographic, the Department of Social Protection will be fortunate to fund Safe Pass and find them employment as security.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

More waste of our money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

Figures on the Indo web this afternoon for the breakdown of where the Ukes and Illegals are being rammed into against the wishes of the people.

My county Kerry, is being utterly invaded, we have 4 times the national average and 33 times that of Dunlaoghaire at over 7000 now.

Killarney has been destroyed and in Kenmare, good young local people who have worked here for a decade or more are leaving because they can't find somewhere to live.

Council rates have been tripled, and businesses closing left right and centre.

This isn't going to end well for the greedy hoteliers or the "sure what can we do" politicians - some of them on the make themselves from the destruction of the county.

The anger is palpable in every conversation these days.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

No mention of the protest on the VM news at 5:30, funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

that was quick since the protest outside harrises house for 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think it's a waste of money. Let's not kid ourselves there are some absolute nutters out there and nobody should be threatened doing their jobs especially at their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Thinking the same. **** hell - like how can you ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

I agree that people ought to be left do their job - if they are capable of doing it.

It's the scum parties and ex Taoiseach who allowed a silly child to be in the most important job in the country right now who bear the blame for the 30 second protest outside Harris's house.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

You reap what you sow.

They wouldn't listen. Called people nazis and racists. Let god knows who into this little country. Destroyed every part of our homeland our mother's and fathers built.

They brought this all on themselves.

No sympathy for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I hope your friend gets looked after quickly. I attend four different public clinics in a major Dublin hospital every few weeks/months and I have observed a significant increase in middle-aged and older immigrants attending the clinics, many of them don't have any English and might bring a family member or two to assist with translation etc. The waiting time can be up to 5 or 6 hours (it used to be 3) just to see a doctor.

The health system could barely cope since I've been attending hospitals for various conditions, which was around 2003, just before Harney came in.

Someone just mentioned Donnelly is analytical, well according to the CSO Ireland's population grew by nearly 100,000 in 2023, of that 81,000 were non EU/UK citizens including 42k Ukrainians. Has Donnelly used his analytical skills to put resources in place to deal with this influx. Obviously, a good cohort of the immigrants will not require hospital services yet, but primary care, yes that concept successive Ministers for Health were heralding as the solution to all problems in the system, is on its knees. You can't get a doctor's appointment in Dublin. My own GP just refers patients to A&E now as there are no appointments available, even the out of hours service is under severe pressure.

We all heard about the massive problems Limerick University Hospital is experiencing, and not a word from Donnelly on how it is to be managed. I'd be terrified bringing a family member to the A&E there given recent reports.

How is Donnelly going to manage with a massive increase in population, Irish nurses leaving in their droves and an ageing population especially when the Government pick numbers out if the air like McEntee's 80% claim regarding asylum seeker numbers from the North. I'd say they haven't a clue how many people are coming in. How they are going to plan to build the infrastructure that is needed to keep the lights on in the health service nevermind resourcing Model 4 hospitals or 'Centres of Excellence'.

This is just one consequence of the increase in population and it's an absolute mess. More immigrants are landing in the country each day, and there seems to be no end in sight. Of course, the more immigrants that arrive, the more staff will be required to service our health system and other services. It's like a catch-22 situation.

It is very challenging to remain optimistic for the future of this country, I simply don't have any faith in the government's or opposition's ability to solve our problems.

They've just been talking about the tents along the canal on VM news and at the end of the report I'm pretty sure they said IP applicants who haven't had accommodation provided yet will receive €75 extra added to their daily allowance.

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

Use this, you'll be able to get an appointment with a doctor this thrusday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's not just this country that can't solve this issue, it's the same in most of western europe. there's an unlimited amount of people willing to risk life and limb to get to rich countries like ireland and spain and belgium etc. and the numbers will only keep increasing. madrid has europe's biggest shanty town of migrants, brussels has something like 3000 migrants on the streets, i was in berlin not too long ago and there was a migrant camp on the river spree outside our hotel. if i was from some absolute failed state like afghanistan or albania i would imagine i'd have left for europe a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok.
    So am I correct in saying if someone that wanted to come to Ireland and had a skill they could apply for a work permit visa.
    If they are applying for asylum they have no skills.

Is this statement correct?

Double bubble, no mention of the immigration march/protest on rte six one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

Judging by the numbers at today's protest I think its only a matter of time before an actual racist like Blighe Pepper or Dwyer is elected which is quite sickening. It's the direction we're headed.

Government are actively encouraging people towards the real far right with their disastrous policies and treatment of communities who feel betrayed and not listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That won't get any coverage here either .

But as another poster reported that a speaker there said of the media " the Whole Country is pointing at you " ? !

How many protestors were there again?

But but the whole country ....

• Advertisement

So I’m trying to figure this out at the minute.
    Is this all coming to a head now as the immigrants are coining from Britain via the UK as the UK have the stick of Rwanda?
    We can’t police the NI border because of the Good Friday agreement and we are obliged to take them because we are an EU country, but France won’t take them as they are entitled to do their border checks?
    So the border has us fucked and the brits are actively **** on us and laughing.

Pretty racist remarks from councillor lacey of Dublin bay south on the six one news just now, talking about the tents along the canal he said local people shouldn't have to put up those people living in the area.

They just briefly mentioned the protest on six one btw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. Attend a few public clinics in two big hospitals in Dublin.

Wait times are much better than they were a few years ago and clinics much better organised since Covid .

However some appointments for specific surgeries ARE delayed depending on how many doctors available .

Mostly ok once over the first appointment though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

yeah. Exactly. The government is the cause. The emerging far right will be the effect. It’s the same with every incident that has occurred over the last 12-18 months in regards to the topic of immigration.
    I personally consider myself a centrist politically however at this point I’d vote for anyone other than this government AND the main opposition parties .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Awaiting the “but but but ….. the Irish commit knife crimes too”

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Excuse my ignorance , does the GFA really restrict our ability to police the border. For example, would the PSNI permit GNIB to police the airport and ports in Northern Ireland in cooperation with the NI authorities, surely they would want to police their borders properly too. Or would that be completely impossible due to political reasons i.e. unionists against AGS having any authority over the NI border?

Odd with such a small total number of asylum seekers that a crime with a very low probability of happening could occur.

could you share some of the racist remarks for those of us who missed it?

• Advertisement

wasn’t the sunak fella pissing and moaning about AGS coining to the NI border to screen for asylum seekers?
    according to him that’s in direct breach of the GFA but of course it suits him as they send all the asylum seekers our way instead of using the Rwanda exit.
    The brits know we are backed into a corner.

Advertisement