Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why are the bins so small? Why? Make them twice as big and you only need to collect/empty half as often. I've seen a few of the bins being emptied and they really aren't that big plus you could crush the cans a lot more and shred the plastic to make far more use of the space.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

that added layer of IT sofistikation on top of masheens that barely work anyway is unthinkable 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

About 12 years ago I built a monitoring system for a major software company that had collectors on 5 continents monitoring about 5000 systems worldwide, and showed uptime, capacity and a load of other stats.

Could I build a similar system but just for little old ireland? Yes. I'd need someone else to write the mobile app, but when you consider a boardsie built a better barcode scanner than ReTurns in an afternoon, it's safe to say the skills are available.

The current ReTurn systems versus the systems in place in other countries is like the difference between the Bank of ireland and Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@LambshankRedemption

I'm doing my bit for the environment already. I'm just a bit cheesed off being taxed for it at the same time.

Except you're not being taxed.

It's worse than that.

You're, literally, giving money to a private business for you doing something that you were already doing.

If this was actually a state run scheme, I'd have much less of a problem with it, warts and all. Because any monies not collected would go into the tax take and then, in theory, toward to the state. As it stands, all people are doing by not collecting their vouchers is lining the pockets of private individuals…to the tune of millions. What should have been a state run entity has, once again, been hocked off to private enterprise.

A great little country to do "business" in.

My conclusion is the highly visible army of semi professional waste
    collectors, who not only pick up litter but inspect litter bins and
    extract anything with a deposit out.

They're called homeless people.

• Advertisement

Your obsequious sycophancy towards this scheme scam is nauseating.

🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Except for the fact that Re-turn is a Not for Profit Company (NFP).

There is no legal mechanism to allow dividends to be drawn from an NFP.

I continue to do as I've always done…

Which is exactly what the owners of Re-turn were hoping for and they'll make bank out of that.

One would wonder how "Not for Profit" most companies are that make that claim. Where's the money going so, because it's not going into the tax take.

Somebody, somewhere, is making money out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Exactly! When ReTurn makes a massive so called profit, who decides where this profit/dividend goes? In the meantime what is the cost of their Board of Directors, advisers, and employees????

Re-turn has already stated that it's keeping the money from unclaimed levies.

Big bonuses for the lads. 😉

You can slave yourself with some fantasy if you wish. But the whole thing stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

A local charity in Drogheda is putting a collection bin at their premises for people to donate their returnable bottles and cans, as a way of fundraising.

First one of these I've heard of - I'm sure it won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Putting everything into the one bin is better than driving round the country dumping it in hedges. But not as good as separating some of it into the Green Bin. Providing that the waste collectors do not recombine everything, which has been alleged. Having a deposit on the certain type of materials, and getting them back without any other contamination is the long standing model working well in other countries. Rendering them suitable for repeated recycling, and reducing the need for virgin products. Ours is the same, and unless we are some special species should improve our recycling rate for those items. The target we have as an EU member is 90% by 2029.

"The Single Use Plastics (SUP) Directive is the main driver for the introduction of Deposit Return. We need to achieve the EU recycling targets of 77% by 2025, and 90% by 2029 and Deposit Return is a proven successful solution to achieving these targets."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

Unless there is a big barrel where all the unclaimed deposits are being burned somebody is making money out of this so far going by the stats available up to now. It must be good sitting at the helm of this scheme knowing because the company is a CLG you can just make a balls of it and walk away without being held accountable to anyone if it turns out that is what happens. Lets see what the stats are in July after a full month of all items being included.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Into the bargain, so called "not for profit" companies are tax exempt. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Say the word dividends over and over if you like. Theres an account somewhere with all unclaimed deposits earning plenty of interest while those with their fingers in the Re-Turn pie come up with ways to distribute it.

The producers in Norway are getting away with paying no tax.

"The Norwegian system is simple. The government places an environmental tax on all producers of plastic bottles. The more they recycle, the more that tax is reduced. If they collectively recycle more than 95% – which they have done every year since 2011 – they do not have to pay the tax."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Heads they win.

Tails we lose.

The worse job Re-turn does the more money they rake in.

When we inevitably dont reach the targets because of the flaws in the scheme here the clamour will grow from Return and other unaccountables for larger deposits instead of ministers engaging their brain and justifying their positions by listening to the complaints of voters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

The shareholders of Re-Turn are the producers.

They currently pay a fee to Re-Turn.

As a result of the millions of cash Re-Turn is building up they will be able to charge producers, their shareholders, a lower fee.

It may not be called a dividend but will still improve cash flow for producers.

• Advertisement

And those who thought up this scheme, enabled it and got their golden jobs will retire into the sunset!

And take the Dee Forbes line if an enquiry happens to come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭con747

With a CLG registered company you don't need a sick note like Dee played and the rest followed suit. You can just head off into the sunset laughing. It's a very common thing in Ireland where people just get away with doing things, now I mean certain people not like the normal folk who end up being screwed over to pay for it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

It seems they have covered themselves well. And in no time these so called disgraced CEO's and Director's are suddenly snapped up by the newest quango going!

You are both predicting future events which nobody can say will or will not happen.

As far as I see things the implementation so far has been fraught with problems.

The machines are not working properly, some shops have been charging deposits incorrectly and more than anticipated consumers are not engaging.

In addition it is a fact that returning to RVMs is more inconvenient than using the green bin.

I would like to see the problems addressed and the system to become user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

They’ll probably offer him a management position.

I, with much humility have often been wrong and sometimes right -to predict events based on my experiences over many, many years.

As a super green person, I welcome all green initiatives that move forward the ideal, yet realise that many green initiatives and policies can turn off much of the public.

This scheme, in my opinion will do sweet f all to increase collection rates much less recycle rates.

I will be happy to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I'm sitting beside a glass bottle bank for the last hour (have to use one of those large public washing machines, which is bside the bottle bins). Granted its a bank holiday weekend but the amount of people recycling glass bottles in the last hour is quite impressive, with no deposits to be retrieved.

People who want to recycle will do so. Those who don't, won't. No matter what deposits are charged.

Like anything in Ireland, the vast majority of people do the right thing. And then we end up with a stupid system that costs the ordinary people in their pockets, because of the failures of a few.

When I was walking round doing the picking, I could have filled a few bags with glass bottles. And out of scope plastic bottles and cans. When I find them near my house (usually in plastic bags in the hedge), I throw them into one of my rainwater barrels. Fish them out and give them a wash after a month or so and bring them to the bottle bank.

The idea that the vast majority of us are doing the right thing is laughable. The countryside is in a shocking state. As are our seas and beaches. A local group filled 150 bags with rubbish on a Co Louth beach recently.

• Advertisement

We all get it wrong from time to time.

I find it curiously liberating to admit an error and move on.

This isn't a matter of life and death, no need to fall out over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement