Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

no on social media you see blow in users downplaying who Trump is and fooling no one.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I think Trump is angling for the "martyrdom" of being thrown in jail without really believing that it'll happen, and without having any real understanding of what it'd mean.

If he decides to flout the gag order again, I'd like to see Judge Merchan schedule the next hearing for immediately after the end of that day's court proceedings (instead of before they start as he's done previously) and to order Trump be taken into custody directly from the courtroom for one night, with a comment along the lines of how it seems that it's only fair that he gets a taste of what awaits him if he continues to disrespect the court. And it should be a genuine incarceration - the one phone call, no visitors, no mobile phone, prison food, no fancy bedding, leave your valuables, belt and laces at the front desk, etc.

Then back to the court in the morning looking like something the dog dragged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Agreed, but it should be more than 1 night. A week sounds right - the only time he'd get to leave, is to be brought into the courtroom for the trial. Oh, and that's whisked in, trial, whisked out back to Jail.

So, no impromptu pressers. Just another convict being treated like the rest of 'em.

One night is far too short.

And if he does it again, 2 weeks. Again, a month, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maher is just another hypocrite who has given a voice on his show now to those he mocked during Trumps term as president and those are the folks that still toe the Trump party line and spew their bile on his show and are not challenged by him at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It must be very difficult for some Americans to understand that not everything that happens globally is, in fact, related to who happens to be in the White House.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yeahhhhh but … no, I think the shock of being slapped with an incarceration at the end of a long day in front of the jury would hit him hard, and especially so if he couldn't rant and rave about it all night. It would also mitigate the martyrdom thing for the judge to impose one "taster session" like that, then get him back in the courtroom and ask him if he understood that every future breach of the gag order would result in the same treatment. It'd put any future imprisonment squarely on his own shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And the conditions should be pre-recorded (temperature, type of bed, lighting) so as to clearly demonstrate the BS he will spew the next day once able to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He didn't say he doesn't care though, he said he's not gonna "go nuts" again if he wins because what would be the point. He obviously cares, he says it pretty much every week.

I agree he's out of touch about the economy though and constantly calling Americans who aren't millionaires like he is stupid for thinking things are expensive . Not a good look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Maher is knocking it out of the park lately.

Once he was cured of his TDS and turned to other topics he was much better.

knocking it out of the park with what, appealing to career contrarians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, you think Trump is knocking it out of the park when he posts an offensive meme so I'm not exactly ranking your view on it.

Maher is a sad old man shout at clouds these days he sacked his agency because he wasn't invited to the Oscars afterparty.

For man who prides himself in being anti-establishment everything, it's pretty funny that he lost it over not getting invited to a Hollywood after party while also being paid $250k an episode to be on the now real establishment of HBO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I never really got round to watching Maher and I don't think I missed much. He seems to be very much a sort of tabloid figure presenting as an intellectual. He spouts anti-vaxx guff and puts forward a very safe white fragility narrative for conservatives.

Not sure what's remarkable about him, honestly. I just see another snake oil salesman.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Wasn't Maher a stand up comedian at one stage?

He was and he was a decent one as well in the early/mid 90's I saw him a couple times live in mid 90's and they were fun shows.

He has gone from angry outsider in his 20's/30's to turning into everything he hated back then.

The classic liberal in young age who becomes conservative as they get older when they have something to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Trump's financial backers moreso than Trump himself want him to spend a few hours in jail for the absolute publicly that will comes from that.

He will sit behind bars for a couple of hours surrounded by secert service and have a KFC and then will be bailed out and he will walk out the front door and rant and rant and rant and that will just reinforce to his MAGA base that he is willing to do anything for them even go behind bars because he isn't part of the establishment.

Can you get bail on a contempt of court charge?

Yes, though given the nature, it's possible the judge may not set bail. Or he does set bail and, while it still has the overall effect of another fine, still challenges the stigma against jailing a former president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

lock him up

Lock him up

Lock him up

Lock him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My understanding is you cannot get bail when in contempt even to challenge the decision in a higher court. Your legal team have to appeal the decision while you are in gaol

Slava Ukrainii

I thought that too. Bail (afaik) is a privilege, but if you have contempt for the court, your privileges are revoked. That's why I was asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's essentially gone from "We can't ignore the dangers of Trump and the radical elements of the GOP" to "Oh sure, Trump and the GOP may destroy everything, but I saw someone with pink and green hair and Liberals are the real cause of everything wrong in the entire world! Anyway, coming up next week is Nick Fuentes, Kimberley Guilfoyle, and the Ghost of Robert E. Lee, because really we shouldn't be afraid to hear from those we disagree with…. unless they're a dirty f*cking Liberal!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What would be hilarious is of Trump behaves ( unlikely) until the jury deliberations and then makes a contempt statement and gets a week or a month in gaol, it would really cramp his style

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Stanley 1

Put him overnight in the same cell of Epstein with of spare sheets and covers, tell him the cctv is broke and have a good night, reflect on his sins.

LOL Nothing would lead to a faster civil war imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The former Head of Rikers Island Penitentiary was on CNN last night saying they have a segregated area that was built a few years ago that would be suitable to enclose Trump. There are 3 or 4 individual units containing a small cell, with a bed, a commode and a shower, and an out area for observation. He said the other units could be used by the secret service for their comms and ops equipment.

So it seems people in other echelons are already thinking about what would need to happen if the judge did decide he is in contempt.

To quote Red from Shawshank "The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it". I'd imagine it's even tougher if you have lived a very privileged life your whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Locking Trump up will hand him the election imo. America is a pretty screwed up country the guy is a rapist and still is polling around half the electorate.

• Advertisement

Looks like we have reached the "acceptance" part of grief.…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement