Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Clubber or KCLR 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Minors losing again. God do we have any good crop at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

O Shea wouldn’t be far behind Sheedy in the big ego department!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Minors lost again. Given St Kierans success this year I take it that our better hurlers are in the 18/19 age bracket? Please say I'm right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Do Kilkenny finish bottom of the group now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

It's hard to equate what happened in today with the display versus Galway.

Like two completely different teams.

16- and 17-year-olds can blow hot and cold but the most disappointing thing today was the lack of fight, the way most of the forwards in particular, gave up so easily, never fought for dirty ball, just let Dublin waltz out with it.

Dublin well worth the win but the second half as a spectacle was atrocious as ref allowed Dublin away with a scandalous amount of time wasting. No rhythm to the game whatsoever, lads being allowed 30-40 seconds to take puck outs and sidelines and up to a minute being wasted on frees.

Thought it was a really stupid idea to take Mullen off frees in 2nd half, the two he missed in 1st half were tricky, it clearly affected his confidence when he was looking like the only forward who might do damage,

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Not having seen the minors win against Galway there were many of the view that this had the potential to be a very good group. After the last day against wexford and the performance today at home against Dublin we look to be in trouble

As poor a performance from a kilkenny team as I've seen and I generally try and take positives out of every performance but I'm struggling here.

The basic element of any team that wants to win is hunger and a desire to win coupled with generally a high skill level which we've almost always had.

Today we were severely short in all 3.

Dublin were far ahead of us in the desire to win the 1st and most other breaking balls.

we did have plenty of possession but without knowing for sure we must have had at least15 wides over the course of the match.

Our touch seemed poor and striking even more so.

Before I'm being accused of being too harsh on young lads the will or desire to win was not evident today. Very disappointing.

One thing I will note is that the ref was very whistle happy favouring the dubs, especially when Dublin were coming out with the ball.

Let's hope for a turnaround in fortune over the neat month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Shur they can't get knocked out of it yet. Judge em on the knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye i have to agree on everything you said it seems now they are bottom of the group and will have to meet one of the tier two groups in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

One of the most dissappointing performances by a minor team in a long time. On a perfect day for hurling, we scored 1 point from play in the first 25 minutes. Hit 11 wides in the first half. Poor decision making, poor execution, poor first touch. Hopefully, confidence can be restored as they are better than today showed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Didn't see todays game but it's beginning to look like that Galway team were severely undercooked for the first game. 12 points on an absolutely glorious day for hurling is very disappointing at any level.

I think it's westmeath next weekend. They are top in tier 2 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Offaly topped their group and beat Laois in the Prelim QF. Westmeath came 2nd and lost to Kildare in the Prelim QF. So it's Kilkenny/Kildare. Since Galway have topped Tier 1 they play the winner

Kildare away in Manguard park next Saturday at one o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

So after it's all said and done they'll have to face Galway again in a knockout game. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

3 and a half teams in Schools A U16.5 in 2023 were Kilkenny and the final between Kierans and CBS was meant to be really top quality stuff. So losing to Wex and Dublin is very hard to fathom.

The Wex loss was just one of thsoe days, but today's performance was close to inexplicable (even allowing for age).

Assuming we get by Kildare, Galway will be hell bent on rectifying matters, and if today's performance repeats itself, they will hammer us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Weirdly, even that isn't a true KO championship match. As both semi-finalists go into the AI Prelim. QFs. it's such a strange structure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny should have been well ahead at half time if they had to take their opportunities instead of hitting 11 wides in that half. Of their first 9 attempts at scores from play, they hit 8 wides which seemed to drain confidence from the team as you could hear groans from the crowd after each miss. I would still have hopes for the team

You're right. The wide count in the 1st half was serious. Buy the bigger issue for me was that it took 15 mins into the 2nd half to make the 1st substitution.

Considering we weren't up to it at all that stat doesn't read well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Strange competition, how come the likes of Westmeath or Kildare don't get these 2nd or 3rd chances. If Kilkenny lose the semi final v Galway they would have lost 3 matches and still progress in the competition. Makes no sense, the weaker counties are the ones that need more games. Minors should be going back to hurl for there clubs at this stage, because i doubt all the best minors are picked. 12 points yesterday is embarrassing.

Post edited by Village87 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Dublin were only a point up at half time and would have been disappointed with that as they had been the better team. Their freetaker number 11 was absolutely fantastic for them.

Plenty of time left in this competition for these young lads to turn things around, as they know they can do so much better than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Unfortunately the minor set up is becoming a **** show. It was a very poor display yesterday and management seem to have backed themselves into a corner by playing the same players in the last 3 games and in 7/8 challenge games. I heard parents saying yesterday that the management dont seem to know where most of the players play for their clubs as players playing out of position. There are much better players not getting a chance at all they were saying also. Management obviously not up to it. Players looked tired yesterday. Dublin were fitter, sharper and faster yesterday. We were way off the pace. It looks like we are not doing proper conditioning of players at this level and no proper speed training. Dublin could have won by 10-12 points. We have now lost home advantage in the next 2 games. Very dissappointing.

Also players that did not play yesterday are not allowed play with their club tonight. Those players won’t even be playing next Saturday either and it makes no sense. They were allowed play the last 2 weeks with their club. Very poor management of these players.

the most worrying thing about this minor team is no poster has an explanation for what happened from the heights of Saturday fortnight to yesterday. What happened? From the Galway game we should have been showing the fear factor that we are going to be the best in the country, well that’s gone, and it didn’t really look like they were testing the panel aside from playing Clifford wing back where I never saw him playing before. I thought myself that we should have been well up for this match after last week’s defeat in which they did battle back and could have won it and I wasn’t too worried going home whereas I was really worried yesterday going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BearMarketFresh

Well one potential explanation is that Galway had an off day against Kilkenny.

If you look at Galway's results since the Kilkenny game it appears to suggest they were off it significantly against Kilkenny.

Did we give ourselves too much credit for that one victory, albeit a very good one.

Extended panel members being prevented from playing for their clubs this evening is an awful decision by this manager and one due to yesterday's result. Had Kilkenny won against Dublin all extended members would have been allowed play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Could well be a kilkenny wexford leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Yet I was slated earlier last month for saying it was strange for some of the clubs to have such representation on the panel (Boro, Comer) despite losing to Dunnamaggin at Minor level and Dunna not having 1 player involved.

Hmmm, wonder had I a point?

About players not being allowed play for their clubs tonight, disgustingfor young lads. Shame on the decision makers on this one

You are 100% right. There are 5 Comer players in the 24 with 3 of them underage again next year. They were well beaten by O’Loughlins in the U-15 Championship and by Dunnamaggin in the semi final in the minor last year. Dunnamaggin have no one on the panel and the Boro and Village only had 2 players each starting yesterday. There is some one obviously interfering with team selection and the selectors are allowing it to happen unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Sir Chaz

How can someone be 'interfering' with selection? That's an interesting take considering the spread of players on the panel.
    Comer were arguably the strongest U15 team last year, winning the league and losing just one game all year, narrowly, to OLG in the quarter final. Dunnamaggin beating them in the A semi was also a surprise.
    Would be difficult to argue that any of their 5 players don't deserve to be there.
    Judging this years minor panel on the 2023 Minor championship is odd given the players up to the age last year are overage for Co Minor this year. Would be difficult to argue strongly for any Dunnamaggin player being on this years panel bar possibly one.
    Looking at the Celtic challenge team, which looks weak enough, and the 16A team there's no obvious real hard luck case I can see.
    Management appear to have the right players but they have just produced 1 very average and 1 really poor performance back to back. I wouldn't give up on them just yet, it's a young team, 8 of the players that finished the game yesterday were U16, and the Kildare game might be a good chance to get back on track.

Advertisement