Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Going by the injury update today, Ringrose and Keenan could play this week. No further update on Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan is out of the sling anyway. There's a video of him and the other Leinster squad members applauding the team at full time.

I hope that means he's close to making a return anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He was out of a sling at the Leicester match already.

IT's about 13000 vs 16000 with the 6N included, but that doesn't include the World Cup which as far as I'm concerned you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Have absolutely zero interest in the Challenge Cup personally. If you gave me the option of winning the Challenge Cup or just being involved in the Champions Cup with no guarantees at all would pick the latter every-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can't see JOB playing the final. If Frawley is fit, he's in the squad, imo. Hoping to see Jimmo O this week. This match is not only a must win, but a maximum points match.

Happy for Connors. An injury free run would be nice.

Soroka still out! He's had a mare of a season. He's probably due for contract renewal, I think he may be released. Only 7 appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Indo is reporting that Ringrose is set to return on Saturday.

Frawley and McCarthy back in training too after their knocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Trophies and medals are what it is all about for players

Winning a Challange Cup is better than winning nothing.

The French teams seemed to cop onto this a number of years ago, for some reason the Irish turn their nose up at winning trophies. Did you see Leinster turn it down under Joe when they dropped into it? they went and won it

Frawley lacks pace which is going to be a problem v TOulouse, if JOB is up and running, fit and gets a game or two under his belt he will have to be considered

First senior contract for James Culhane

Congratulations to Culhane!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Surely he was bunging it into the air because Leinster were going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

A trophy is better than no trophy. But if you consider yourself a big team, you want to win the big trophies. And the Champions Cup is immeasurably bigger than the Challenge Cup. If Leinster lose to Toulouse, I don't think any Leinster players, if you were to ask them, will tell you that they'd rather have been in the Challenge Cup final as they'd have had a better chance of winning. Also, if Leinster won the Challenge Cup, nobody would give two sh*ts and they'd be (rightly) slaughtered for being in the Challenge Cup in the first place.

He was bunging it into the air because it was a clearly deliberate change in tactics that even the NH players commented on. It was neither a good strategy nor a well executed one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Interested to see how many armchair psychologists will be building up the Final around how Leinster are in the heads of the Toulouse players and how another loss against Leinster might 'destroy' or 'break' them as a squad?

Toulouse's losses to Leinster over the last few years have been far heavier than what Leinster dealt with from LaR.

I doubt one of them will come up with it

Also it's back to "oh Leinster struggle against a big pack like Toulouse" I heard on one show, maybe TNT. Totally oblivious to the fact Leinster have been them twice in the last few years, of course this was also ignored when people said Leinster failed to beat any big teams.

Listening to TNT was my first mistake, f**k me but they are bitter towards Leinster….poor old BOD

Joe McCarthy is the lock I thought Baird would be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Toulouse are French champions. They've nothing to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd disagree on the Baird part. He made one superb run but he had some notable errors on re-watch and I'm not sure he'll be delighted with his showing. Getting stripped by them inside their 22 very easily and then held up on his own 5m line were big moments that could have been very costly. I assume he was running the line out in the last 30 minutes also when we started to come under real pressure there and became very sloppy.

Fully agree on the kicking. Not including clearing kicks, we put up contestable kicks 9 times between the 51st minute (when we made the first raft of subs and appeared to change approach) and 76th minute. All of these kicks were from roughly our own 10m line or further up the field (a couple in their half) so it was good, clean attacking ball in decent positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd have thought that was fairly obvious. I think the coaches got things wrong. I'm not sure was it after the third try or at the point when they brought on the subs but Leinster flicked a switch and went completely to an aerial pressure game which was mixed at best but mostly just yielded possession. Even Lowe put up a contestable from his own 10m line when he had tonnes of space at one point.

It was compounded by multiple errors from the team though. Players appeared to massively switch off. Lost/spilled line outs, carrying errors, a couple of sloppy breakdown moments and we also started to struggle with their kicking game a little. Our defensive pressure also slacked off notably from the first half. Their first try, we folded enough men around to get far more pressure on them. We were too passive. Alex Moon threw a ridiculous skip pass for a lock but even then I thought Lowe was too slow to get up into Hendy's face and allowed him the space to put a kick in over him. Lowe actually slowed down to anticipate the kick. If he had committed he would have smashed Hendy, man and ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Another strong performance from Doris. Noticed we used McCarthy quite a lot as the tight carrier, whilst Doris was tasked with doing the clearing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cormac Foley and Frawley to be announced today im hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Frawley is a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

This isn't the top 14 though. They fact that they are current champions has absolutely to do with champions cup the final.

Leinster have had their number the last few years and they will be massively aware of that and desperate to prove its no longer the case. Without a doubt they have something to prove against Leinster, as we did with LaRochelle

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Some time ago when I was a lurker of the forum I remember somebody put together a list of when contracts were up, contract length etc of each player. I’ve had a search but can’t seem to find the post. I don’t suppose anybody has it handy or has a similar list or contract lengths/expiries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody will think they’re a bad team or chokers if they lose, but they’ve lost to Leinster by 20 points margins in each of the last two seasons.

I’d imagine they want to prove a lot to themselves

• Advertisement

Leinster teasing a "scoop" amongst their contract signings today.

Advertisement