Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspect that the parties all know that that kind of thing has nothing to do with Europe. However they also know that the kind of floating, low information voter who might actually be swayed by a leaflet might not understand the nuances of what various elected representatives can achieve. Therefore they make the cynical decision to discuss what those voters care about most and plaster it on their leaflets regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MFPM

You'll have plenty of choice among the idiots screeching on migration, hopefully sense prevails and none of them get elected though. It would be nice to see that thug Blighe humiliated.

Kelleher, Kelly will sail home. Initially I didn't think he would win but I now think Wallace will be returned (notwithstanding you mobilising your family), Funchion will join them and then O'Sullivan and McNamara for a seat. It's arguably the most straightforward constituency, though I may rue that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If Kelleher & Kelly sail home, it'll be on the back of complete indifference. You'd be surprised at the antipathy towards that mangy fella from Wexford, now seen as a freeloader straight and simple.

Funchion will likely do well alright, may even top the poll. Grace the Green might or might not get in, just plainly invisible - can't think of a single thing she's been involved in and I take a good general interest.

I'd expect independents to do well, bar the mangy fella, by way of of expressing public dissatisfaction with the lot in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's amazing how quickly he pivots from "I'll say what others are afraid to say", to denying his tweets and blaming it on nameless staffers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I do get what you are saying about the leaflets.

On the other hand…I don't know. I think it may be unrealistic to expect that they are going to "propose" (using a word from your other post) things in Europe for us, or do things there for the advantage of you personally, your constituency, or even Ireland (in manner of setting out a manifesto programme).

It is not the local county council or the Dáil. It is not the EU parliament's job afaiaw to generate the new legislation. It more helps shape/amend it, or else it can block it if they don't agree. We (Ireland) only have 14 MEPs or something in total anyway, not much a distinct "bloc" on its own.

Maybe better to look at parties they come from and their interactions/relationship with the EU (if from a party), what policies they have, the grouping in the EU parliament they are or will be a part of if elected and how that votes on issues.

Also, on a more personal level what kind of people they are, views they hold + their politics, does idea of that person "representing" you in the parliament actually appeal or not etc.?

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the Green councillors commented about how more than half of the MEP candidates seem to think the M means Mayor of Dublin. Constant stuff about domestic politics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m in this constituency & I will have your 3 bottom my list. I still don’t see why anyone would vote flanagan

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The South have a very poor choice to vote against the government here ,the far right canidate at the top of the list will probably go a long way in getting elected ,the Aontu canidate and Eddie punch the only other options would need to start getting out there and being heard

As a voter in Ireland South I've been trying to learn more about the independents that are running. Here's what I've found out so far:

• Una McGuirk - A barrister who served on some government bodies and made headlines when she appeared at an anti-mask and anti-lockdown rally. Her twitter feed is mostly retweets of content criticising migration policy.
    • Graham DeBarra - Lefty progressive type whose main thing seems to be an opposition to EU being involved in weapons exports.
    • Christoper V.S. Doyle - Couldn't find much about him. He's an engineer and looks a bit like an older Dr. Robotnick.
    • Mary Fitzgibbon - A nurse and lecturer whose focus, according to this article, is on sovereignty, immigration, neutrality, the Family, agriculture & small business.
    • Ciaran O'Riordan - couldn't find anything out about him. The journal don't even have a picture for him. They only say that he is a home-maker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Midland - West: are SF likely to keep a seat?

Is Chris Mac Manus at 4/9 a good bet?

On a bad day, could they split their vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

SF for sure will keep a seat but who is the question, I genuinely don't know who is considered a surer thing.

Its the nastiest one to predict though, at least with Dublin I can say L Boylan and Regina should be safe and down south Kelly and Kelleher should be ok, but the midlands is a total mess. The only candidate I suppose is safe is Ming and tbh not as sure about him as I was a few weeks ago.

The Examiner had this headline "Tech Giants 'know the harm they do'" on the front page today, plus a two page spread on the inside. About disinformation and upcoming elections. Possibly a propaganda piece? Rather than sidetrack this thread posted on it in this thread. The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You

Social media (twitter, facebook, telegram and tik-tok anyway) is full of disinformation. I'd be most familiar with twitter and the level of disinformation on there has risen exponentially since Musk took over.

I don't see how it's propaganda to point that out, especially when there are elections in Europe, America, the UK and Ireland in the next 12 months.

@Brussels Sprout

I didn't say it was propaganda, I asked if it was?

Some people are quick to point out that state media is mainly and social media is just all disinformation? Don't people have there own mind filter to tell the difference?

Nothing yet on state media of what is going on in Dublin at the moment, if it wasn't for twitter most people unaware it is going on. It probably get a brief begrudgingly mention on the 17:30/18:00 news programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They were talking about it on newstalk at 4pm with a reporter who had been at the protests. Spent maybe 10 minutes on it?

Don't people have there own mind filter to tell the difference?

Humans are full of all sorts of cognitive biases. One of those is that if they hear something repeated a lot they often take it as being true. That's one of the reasons why Trump keeps saying that the 2020 election was rigged. Now obviously that's not going to work on everyone but it will work on more people then it ideally should.

Often highly intelligent people can end up believing absolute nonsense. There's a kind of fallacy whereby people who are experts in certain areas erroneously believe that they can become experts in other areas without actually doing the same level of work and rigour that enabled them to become experts in their own field.

Social media turbo charges all of this. It's been a great enabler of both disinformation and misinformation.

There have been many cases of this in the past 10 years but I believe possibly the most damning was the genocide carried out of the Rohingya people in Myanmar. This was driven by lies on Facebook that largely went unchallenged because Facebook only had 2 moderators for that entire country.

So yes, in an ideal world people would be able to sniff out disinformation but it seems that a worrying amount of people don't have the experience and/or critical thinking skills to do so. As such I think removing the disinformation at source is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,599 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As always this shte is so easily debunked.

First 2 stories on IT are both about the murder and the protests in Dublin and has been for a while now.

I don't think I have ever seen someone make that dumb "the MSM will never tell you" comment and not been instantly proven wrong.

The Examiner tomorrow is doing 2nd part of story printed today.

'Physical threat to politicians and the electoral system'

Below is probably going to be the opening article on it?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41389282.html

While voting is by pen and paper in most EU countries, including Ireland, computer systems are 'widely used' for voter registration and the compilation and transmission of election results. Hence, the need for a cybersecurity risk assessment before elections

Edit:- That was in today's print but released it late on website, so hardly going to be repeated tomorrow?

As speculated RTE 'Six One' & 'Nine' only gave Blink and you miss it coverage of immigration protest in Dublin. Nothing on VM. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41389525.html

Edit 7/05/24 08:00

Gardaí fear right-wing threats to politicians’ safety 

• Irish security services have concerns for the physical safety of politicians from figures on the far right, and believe the country is entering a “very tricky” period with the upcoming local and European Parliament elections.
    • It is understood that a number of investigation files have been submitted to the Director of Public Prosecutions on threats from far-right individuals to politicians, including Government leaders and ministers.

Concern of threats from a small contingent from the far right. The security services still rate the threat to politicians as “moderate” — the second-lowest of five threat levels.

Sorry If I have sidetracked the discussion in this thread, did try at least to deflect it to another.

Post edited by corkie on

Posters are going up tomorrow I believe

• Advertisement

Expect to see them from this evening - no council litter wardens working after 5 normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Posters in Donegal have been up for weeks

Niall Blaney posters have been up advertising a public meeting (about why you should vote for him in Europe)

"Public Meetings" or "Coffee Mornings" are a common workaround. Frances Fitzgerald did huge amounts of them before the last election. Locally to me the Soc Dems have pushed them too.

Deep dive into the Euro elections in this twitter space with a bunch of election anoraks:

One of the contributors made an interesting point in this. He said that he thinks that Ming Flanagan's seat is actually quite precarious.

Ming originally got elected to the Dail back in 2011. A big part of his vote base was the turf cutters. When Ming subsequently won election to Europe he endorsed one of that community as his successor in the resulting Dail by-election….Michael Fitzmaurice. Fitzmaurice is now one of the 3 TDs in the new Independent Ireland party and they're running their own candidate in Midlands North West - Ciaran Malooly.

So the theory is that Ming is in danger of losing a considerable amount of his vote base to Malooly.

Apart from that they reckon Michael McNamara is in with a real shot in Ireland South and that Dublin is the most difficult to predict and is absolutely wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Saw them alright, they must be all the way from Meath to Donegal massive BLANEY PUBLIC MEETING but I couldn't quite make out the date or location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ryan of Enfield

Mcnamara is both articulate and is being seen as someone who has put his head above the parapet on immigration and if you believe this is a topic which will come to the fore in 4 weeks, he's best place to capitalise on it. Still think the big parties just take a seat each, then it's a toss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What about Derek Blighe ,there has been strong anti asylum centre meetings in nearly every rural town and village in the South area .Mcnamara is neither here nor there on the matter ,at least every one knows where Derek Blighe stands ,

Will Blighe even get debating time with other main stream canidates is another question though ,this is where he will get snookered in that the floating voter wont know he even exists

He'll be lucky to get 1% and no he won't be platformed at any major TV or radio debate. He has a history of spreading blatant misinformation about foreigners and has stolen from a charity. He's basically an Irish version of Tommy Robinson. Big support on social media but that won't translate to the ballot box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ryan of Enfield

And I think the problem for a lot of candidates in these far flung constituencies is to get themselves a profile.

It's a grey area as to how much of a protest vote this will be, and how anti government feeling is distributed. There looks like a fair few. I think they'll receive more support than they would have done 18 months ago but I reckon that support will be spread across a few, negating them in the end.

Advertisement