Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Christ still sick over yesterday, leaving Walsh park and it felt like we had been beaten. In fairness when you look back at the game a draw was probably a fair result. Just taught as a team yesterday we were a little bit off it and unfortunately in Munster championship you rarely get away with that. To go from being practically guaranteed a top 3 spot to having to get a result away in one of our games against the two best teams in the country is a bit of a disaster. Our record in these two venues is not great to say the least but sure I suppose that has to change as some stage. Why not this year? I wonder will Shane or Patrick Curran start the next day? Only thing with them starting is that we are losing a bit of impact off the bench. You’d feel sorry for prunty can’t seem to get a break with injuries. I suppose to look at the positive we didn’t get beat and we are guaranteed to have something to play for on the last day which makes a nice change to the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

My ears were crackling after the game due to the noise, its like being to a rock concert, its a brilliant venue for these type of matches, shame we had to play our home matches away for the past number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

A few things didn't go our way yesterday.

Lucky to have not had to retake the penalty, some really poor frees taken and a few very, very poor wides.

But I was delighted with how the full back line played

Everyone of them were tenacious, gave a few points away not wanting to give a goal chance.

That is a decision you have a moment to decide. Overall did very well.

Few players drifted in and out of the game. That happens.

Overall a great game to be at and I think we will qualify from Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If this was a disaster how would you describe the last 2 campaigns? A setback but hardly a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Maybe disaster is a bit strong of a word to use but when the final whistle went at that moment in time that’s how it felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yeah exactly. I think we all know we’d have taken these results a few weeks ago but I don’t like the way some people put us down for thinking big. Other counties would be unified in their disappointment at leaving points behind but with us, it’s like we’re not allowed to do that and are supposed to be happy we didn’t lose. We need to think big. If we can’t, I don’t know how the players are supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Genuine question...I saw someone on social media talking about the third man tackle as well re Prendergasts goal, would you care to elaborate what is being referred to here, was there an actual incident. I didn't see anything in Walsh Park or on the highlights. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Even if Cork are out by the time they play Tipp I wouldn't be ruling them out, ye done more than alright in that situation last year and the players could be very motivated to deliver a performance for Pat Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Such a kick in the stones that game, it certainly felt like a defeat at the end but I’m trying to take some consolation from knowing that it would have been even worse if Tipp got a winner.

When I saw the Tipp player out at the sideline going towards goal I was pleading with Callum Lyons (or any Waterford player nearby) to basically put their arms around him and pull him down, as cynical as it would’ve been. Take the yellow/red/black card and suspension if it went that way but for the love of god don’t let him through. We made the same mistake against Cork where they also got a late goal. Need to become more ruthless here to close out the game.

Fair play to the lads though they dug in and played well. My biggest fear going into the game was that Tipp would be well up for it given what happened them a week before combined with a flatness from ourselves, especially given the favourites tag and the fact that in recent times we’ve nearly always failed to put in back to back performances.

It at least makes me reasonably confident that we won’t be bet out the gate in Ennis, like in previous years. I don’t think we’ll win but would be hopeful of at least being in with half a shout and who knows it could just be the time to finally get one over Clare (something we’ve failed to do in years).

Ideally we go all out to get a result in Ennis (or Limerick – should they look after Cork next weekend they’ll be able to afford to rest players against us for a Munster final but even a half interested Limerick would be very tough).

However, if not the question is whether 3 pts would be enough to get out of Munster. We’ve to at least ensure Clare and Limerick don’t hammer us as it could come down to scoring difference. Would need Clare or Cork to do us a favour and beat Tipp, as well as Limerick to look after Cork next weekend.

Limerick should see off Cork and I’d give Clare a more than decent chance of beating Tipp (in Thurles). If Clare beat us, they’d be on 4pts going into that Tipp game and would need that one more result to guarantee a Munster final. They’d know if they lost to Tipp, Tipp would have an eliminated Cork in their final game (which they’d likely win) and Tipp would be through to a Munster final.

Many permutations and it’s nearly also a case of trying to assess what each team would have to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

that incident happened fairly close to where we were sitting and the tipp ‘fans’ in front and around us were ‘spitting bile/foaming at the mouth’…..in the build up to the goal Kevin Mahoney (I think) body checked / third man tackled a tipp lad (Barrett I think) and flattened him to the ground…… it was a stupid thing to do but was well away from the play and had zero impact or influence on their ability to defend the goal….don’t think Owens spotted it but the linesman alerted him to it and he subsequently yellow carded Mahoney…..which lead to absolute hysteria amongst the tipp fans and the usual tirade of abuse and expletives towards Owens as in their view the goal should not have stood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Jaysus flattened him is a stretch. From the replays he barely stood in his way and Barrett, who wasn't going to get near Dessie anyway, made an absolute meal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Forgot Tipp missed a chance straight after there goal so the result could of been a whole lot worse still a gut punch though

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LohansRedHelmet

Cusack park is far from a tight pitch, it’s the largest pitch you can have in GAA. Same size as Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

One other positive I'd suggest is that Waterford are now setting up in a shape that allows them to create goal scoring opportunities. Goal scoring is like a boxer with a knock out punch, it gives you a chance when you're up against a good opponent or even one better than you.

the lads on the Clare forum are full of confidence……. there is no way they will lose another game in their home ground……they have too much quality all over the pitch especially up front with SoD etc etc……thinking about it can anyone recall a victory in Cusack park down the years…..? Probably in the league but in last twenty years I don’t think we have. The 2022 game was forgettable and the second half of last year’s game equally as forgettable so we are well due a victory over them. The Covid year 2020 we gave them a good beating (3-27 to 3-18 I think) but since then ‘low-hans’ lads have beaten us well 😡😡 so it’s about time to reverse things

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wouldn't it be so Munster Championship is Cork end up doing a 2022 again winning there last 2 games. Be some laugh if they done that but we end up drawing with Limerick thus getting 3rd on H2H

sure why wouldn’t we be confident based on our recent record against you guys, the fact we are at home, the fact we have qualified top of the group in Munster last 2 seasons and the fact that without our best player we put 3-26 on cork in cork.

That being said, ye are playing well and with momentum so it’s not beyond anything that ye could win. This is a more dangerous game for Clare then I would have thought it would be at the start of the championship and credit to Waterford for picking things up but we would be certainly looking for 2 points here.

probably

It’s Munster championship.

Can ye turn us over in Ennis, possibly. Do I think it’s probable - no!

One thing is for sure, Davy would love a win in Ennis. After all ye have done right in championship this year, I am sure ye don’t want to have to go to the Gaelic Grounds looking for a result.

I hope ye travel in numbers and we have great weather. You can’t beat Ennis and the stadiums central location on a championship day when the weather is nice

Clare will obviously be favorites. They’re real all Ireland contenders and we’re just hoping to get out of the round robin for the first time. But on the day, if everything goes right, we have the players to beat anyone in a one off game. Yes, I’m living in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

do we reckon they’ll be more tickets on sale closer to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

hopefully some clubs return them, would like to go myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Getting ahead of myself what does Davy have to do to keep his job , get out of Munster or look 3 points is an improvement on last year if goes wrong and we don’t advance ?Or is it look nobody else would want it anyway go again no matter what happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

In a way it doesn't really matter about results, all about the performance and I couldn't be more delighted the way the team showed for the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Saturdays game was there for the taking and a draw was a fair result at the end. The standard of refereeing is awful. How Owens refereed the Clare Cork match to the game on Saturday were oceans apart. Handing out cards like confetti in the first game vs letting everything off on Saturday was baffling.
    On us, I believe even with Prunty out, we have probably the best set of 6 backs in the country bar Limerick. Kevin Mahoney needs to be dropped. It was clear after 10 to 15 min on Saturday that Cathal Barrett had him in his pocket and was living rent free in his head. I was very surprised that Davy let him on for so long.
    Going forward, I have a sneaky feeling that Davy has something up his sleeve for either the Clare or Limerick game. What it is or which game, I cant say. This Waterford team are going to have a huge say not only in the Munster Championship but in the All-Ireland series also. Davy has them humming nicely and there’s a lot more in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just now attempted to access the first page of this thread - and failed!
    I had intended to read "Mod note post #1" just for info.

Can others access the first page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I would say the Mahoney experiment hasn't worked, I guess Eoin Kelly may have been working with him and it hasn't really come off but he has time to work and get better. I can see Shane Bennet come in he was great on Saturday.

I presume Mahoney was in as some sort of physical disrupter presence to break or hold up the ball? I’d agree that it hasn’t worked. If Prunty was fit, I’d have Fagan up the forwards ahead of him. Clare are physical so maybe Patrick Fitz is held as first sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

He's good for Ballygunner but hasn't worked for Waterford (not yet anyway).

What's the story with Paddy Leavey not getting game time …. one of our standout performers in the league. Likewise, I would have thought that Conor Sheahan is worth bringing on as a sub, at least. Good to see Shane Bennett has recovered from his nasty injury ; pity about Prunty but quad problem seems to be a recurring issue for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Has the injury to Prunty been confirmed as quad related?

Advertisement