Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, they'll certainly want to win, but if they don't they'll have just missed one golden chance to add another star. If Leinster don't they'll be the new Clermont/Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I laughed out loud when I saw the alert on my phone. I was convinced when I saw Will Connors re-sign that the Deegan deal was 100% happening. Deegan might have just been really nervous about the lack of stability up north with no nailed on head coach or CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Suprised by that to be honest..

Obviously everyone's situation is different but I honestly thought at 27 going 28 Deegan would be better off moving to another province in order to get some decent game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder could Deegan be played at 12 occasionally to get him some extra minutes. His running lines, timing and understanding of how to draw and pass are very good. Botia can play backrow and centre, and Ben Te'o switched from being a league backrower to playing centre in union.

• Advertisement

I see where you are coming from but it seems like a fairly sizeable reach that they would go with that line of thinking especially with Jordie Barrett arriving at Christmas. The only way it truly makes sense to me is if Leinster really want to move Ryan Baird back and forth between Lock and Blindside flanker depending on how they are allowed use RG Snyman next year. They probably view Baird as a Molony replacement in certain instances even though he is starting at blindside flanker. Either that or Leo must have made a fairly concrete promise to give Deegan some important Champions cup and big game minutes next season if he maintains his level of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lol! Deegan staying put. I thought he was definitely leaving. Great news that he's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

just listening to OTB and they are saying that Deegan is confirmed to Ulster, this is podcast from this morning

Oops

Watched the match twice last night. I can't ever figure out what the officials are seeing with the scrums. Raynal has got to be the most inconsistent, or one of the most inconsistent.

Leinster definitely switched off and the replacements were fairly meh. A poor 2nd half, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

can we start the countdown to next seasons episode of everyone saying where Deegan should go for the good of his career?

Ulster would be an unbelievably hard sell at the moment. They are a mess.

• Advertisement

RB really is slow! Glacial even! Overall, I thought he was average. A fair drop off from the qtr final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Going full circle and joining awec on the "Leinster have too much money" bandwagon.

That is an absurd signing for all parties. Waste of money for Leinster, waste of talent for Deegan and a pain in the ass for Culhane.

Baird back in the row? Interested to see what the 2nd row stocks look like for next season.

I'm delighted that Deegan is staying. Honestly, Ulster don’t need him. Going up to Belfast might get Deegan better opportunities but, there's a strong group of back rows at Ulster. I thought France might have been an option.

Who's next?

I've a feeling Sam Prendergast is going to get a fairly hefty push next season to stake his claim long term for the 10 jersey. I can't imagine Leo or Nienaber are thrilled with the consistency at the position. They have given Harry and Ross a lot of chances and they can't seem to grab the jersey and make it their own. They love how versatile Frawley is so they probably aren't going to hand the jersey to him because how well he can play at centre and full back.

Prendergast has a lot of Sexton in his game but is more expressive in how he moves the ball around the pitch. He has all the tools to be an Ireland international in the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

scoop?

frisch on a central contract for the twitter carnage

Maybe a NIQ THP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don’t see why a pro would want to go north to be honest. They are crap with little signs of becoming less crap. Ridiculously hard sell to a player of quality.

Sure, I get that. And frankly a player of Deegan's quality willing to just settle for non-knockout URC level action isn't going to help them much.

Unless it's peanuts, I don't think Leinster should have offered him a contract though. They should have just used the promotion of Culhane to a senior deal to phase him out. Waste of money.

• Advertisement

Ross was great v LaR. But really his athletic ability is limited. He's a very good player but not the player who's going to run in tries from anywhere. To be fair, Harry has looked very good this season, imo. He's certainly athletic enough and I reckon if he grabs that intercept, he gets a lot closer to the try line.

Ross was always ideal as the back up fly half, He in so solid across the board but I really struggle to pick one thing he does at the highest level needed. I would have said his place kicking was a strength of his in the past but it seems to have dropped off quite a bit the past 12 months. I was at the game at the weekend and his head was completely gone when he missed that kick in front of the post from 30 metres out. It seems to be a confidence issue for Ross, he should have been able to run in that intercept but straight away was looking for help. Your fly half has to have irrational and supreme confidence that they are going to make every kick and every time the ball leaves their boot, something good is gonna happen and if it doesn't, try, try and try again.

Prendergast has these traits in abundance as well as a killer instinct to finish teams off. Harry does have upside but injuries might cause him to miss out on getting a consistent shot at the 10 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Replacement scrum half is a now a problem position for Leinster. Luke McGrath has barely played in Europe this season and he wasn't trusted to help see the game home against Northampton at the weekend either. If you go back to last season's Champions Cup final he came off the bench in the 78th minute. JGP should have been taken off sooner as he was shattered but he was kept on.

We need Foley or even Gunne to make a push for inclusion in European squads next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah McGrath was a wasted jersey last Saturday.

Foley is the nearest to him currently imo and should be overtaking him by the end of next season

Ah here, there is no way on earth he was ever going to be running in that intercept. Better to look for help then get isolated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Deegan staying is good for Leinster. Clearly he's in a comfort zone being a URC guy and he's happy for it, but it's a bit of a waste.

He had a good head start ahead of him, My seat in Croke Park was in line with the try line he was running towards the posts, he would have at bare minimum gotten himself to near the 5 metre line if he just kept running. I don't blame him for looking for help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He's happy.

He might have the self confidence to think he'll dethrone one of the current incumbents in blue or green.

He might be content with being a professional player with his favoured team for as long as possible.

Either way a Leinster contract appears to be what he wants and what he has got! Fair play to him, there are hundreds that fail to get that far.

This is all perfectly fair, but I just don't know why Leinster are spending the money on him. It is just clogging up the path for potentially better players behind him.

• Advertisement

I think you are onto something there. Leinster tried for Tom O'Toole, Finley Bealham and supposedly Jack Aungier before they all signed new deals. They clearly wanted to keep a NIQ available for a different position. Luke just isn't the same player he once was anymore. A fantastic servant to Leinster but his time of playing quality rugby seem to be coming to an end.

Advertisement