Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That self confidence would be highly misplaced; Cullen is going nowhere and many many attack coaches (Lancaster, Goodman, Nienbar, etc) have failed to recognise him as being a top 23 player.

Obviously can't hold anything against him, but you can't help but think things could be so much bigger for him. IIRC he and Doris were both called up to the same 6N squad for the first time and you'll find comments from me saying back then that I rated Deegan higher than Doris (shows what I know :P lol).

Obvious caveat as well is that I'd much prefer he stays in the country than go abroad (and he may well be the same), so if that's with Leinster then so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must say I don't understand Deegan remaining at all. Third choice No.8?

He's amazing, but he's wasted not playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You'll be amazed how quickly I can pivot from "10s have to be able to tackle" when it suits me 😉

But in all seriousness yeah, he's got quite a lanky frame though so I think another off season of putting on some more muscle will help. He needs to stop flapping his arms at people so much though.

He was getting nowhere near the 5m line. He might have gotten an extra couple metres into the 22 but it made sense for him to look for support. That was not a confidence issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We maybe crap, but we till managed to beat Leinster the last time we played

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Indeed and even that didn’t turn Deegans head!

My point stands though Ulster is a very hard sell to players, if they were showing signs of going somewhere it might be easier, whatever is happening with Kitschoff hasn’t helped. Things just don’t seem right up there and it’s more than just the coaches.

The lack of certainty around the team right now has to be hindering recruitment.

The single most important voice in the building in terms of persuading a player to move there is the coach who is going to be picking the team and setting the gameplan for how you intend to play. Right now for Ulster that's not settled, so I completely understand why players would be reticent around moving there without that certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Ulster can't offer more than leinster. Waiting for an injury at leinster is probably a better international rugby plan than starting for ulster. Those are the two reasons.

This isn't really a uniquely Ulster thing either. I'm struggling to remember the last player leinster actually lost to another province, one they cared about keeping. It should happen more often. Usually talented squads shed players who want bigger roles.

Those aren't the only two factors though.

He has to be convinced he's genuinely putting himself into a better situation; to that he has to be satisfied that he's going to be in an environment where he's going to improve as a player and that will be better than the one he's currently in.

He can't be confident of that at the moment - Ulster have looked unstable and erratic for a few years now really all in, and to have elite players like Kitshoff bounce out of there so quickly doesn't reflect well on the team culture or environment.

He can't be confident around his playing development because he doesn't even know who the coach is who'll be picking the team.

Even something as simple as the lack of a recognised 10 in the squad for next season is going to impact these sort of decisions. If we're all asking that question, you can be pretty sure the players are too.

There aren't a multitude of guys who've made that switch who it has worked out well for either.

There isn't a huge amount either to support a belief that he'll play a lot more big games there either - since that requires Ulster qualifying for those big European knock outs.

So there are plenty of factors beyond just the one you're mentioning why he made the decision he made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I say this with the fullest respect to Ulster as a rugby team. With no Chief Executive, no director of rugby and no long term head coach in place, why would Deegan sign on to play for Ulster next season with that much uncertainty looming for Ulster.

Ulster have a solid team of players, they just need to address the CEO, DoR and Head coach positions with good people and a bit of investment and they will be back to their best.

I straight up question Leinster even offering him a contract. It doesn't strike me as a remotely good use of resources.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Paddy McCarthy onto senior deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Big show of faith in him, himself and Boyle will have a right tussle.

Presumably Usanov will come in on an Academy deal?

And presumably the two of them moving onto senior deals = no NIQ prop?

That's not the case though. Guys like Max Deegan (and Ruddock, Molony etc) have been utterly invaluable to Leinster in recent years - the level of rotation for the international guys impacts Leinster significantly, and Deegan has played a huge role in getting those crucial wins earlier in the season that has facilitated rotating heavily ahead of the European knockouts.

I know the hope is Culhane keeps pushing through and challenging Deegan for those minutes, and hopefully that will happen, but having quality depth players like Deegan has been crucially important to Leinster for years.

I'd say generally the most high profile switches have worked out pretty well with some duds as you'd expect. Its just that when someone leaves leinster, its assumed that if they stayed they would have had the perfect career.

Or to put it another way, if deegan had left three years ago and had a similar career, it would be assumed that he would have excelled at leinster in that time frame.

The fact is that the typical 'push/pull factors' that usually lead guys from marginal roles at big teams to bigger roles at smaller teams don't really exist in irish rugby any more.

This must mean Ed Byrne is on the way out as widely speculated.

Right now for next season Leinster have Porter, Milne, Boyle and McCarthy contracted at LHP, with no certainty yet around Cian Healy or Ed Byrne's future.

Who are the leinster players going to munster and connacht? Players leinster wanted to keep, leaving for a bigger role?

Which ones have worked?

Jordi Murphy was only 27/28 when he made the switch, and he arguably regressed as a player following the move. There is a clear nagging feeling that Joey Carbery, for a multitude of reasons, never really realised his potential following his move.

I'm utterly convinced he'd be a far better player today had he never left Leinster.

I wouldn't count Jack McGrath as a failure simply because his injury problems were so significant, but I genuinely struggle to think of examples where it worked out too well for a relatively high profile guy to move.

My concerns around Prendergast's defence etc. are more to do with his apparent reticence to take contact (in attack and defence) rather than just his frame.

It would be one thing if he was putting himself in position to make hits and getting blown off physically - that is something you would be more confident could be solved for. To me though looking at him this season, I see a guy who I think shies away from physical contact in a way Johnny Sexton or Jack Crowley absolutely never did/do.

I don't think just putting more physical size on him will necessarily solve that problem unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Carbery is the best example of this. He played 38 times for ireland, in the position he wanted to play, even though he was killed by injuries for most of it.

The most probable alternate path at leinster was what … back up ten? Maybe starting fifteen?

Unless we are positing that injuries are unique to Munster (at least in his case he picked up the major one with ireland) then i don't really see a care for massive under achievement, or that playing for leinster would have been better,

If Deegan leaves Leinster at 23, we hear ALL this about him too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cian Prendergast has had a marginally better career so far than he would have if he'd stayed at Leinster and Deegan had gone to Connacht, IMO.

I think crucially important is over-egging it. I would more say "useful". But I'd rather see them back Culhane at this point.

I guess he is going to take the Ruddock role, but it just seems like a massive waste for everyone to me.

They're not really comparable though - they were at totally different points in their careers. Prendergast was never part of Leinster's academy - they passed him over to take Alex Soroka, which clearly looks like a decision Leinster got wrong.

But it's not comparable to a 27 year old guy moving 8 years into his pro career.

This is highly debatable to me. He was already on 13 caps before he made the move as a 23-year-old, so he was already pretty clearly in the national squad framework, and it's not like he became an international level player after that move.

I believe he'd be a better, more well-rounded, more confident rugby player had he stayed, it's not just about what shirt he'd have had on his back.

I mean maybe he would have better hair, more vitality and so on, but i don't see how its a given he has a better career.

He started for a long time and played for ireland. He also dealt with a ton of injuries.

Again, Deegan leaves at 23, this is the same conversation. Leinster would definitely have done a better job with the former junior world player of the year than 'hapless province X'.

I dunno - those are games that it is crucially important that Leinster win.

If you look at this season - those early season wins (34-13 against Sharks - Deegan MotM and try scorer, 36-27 over Edinburgh - Deegan try scorer, 54-5 over Scarlets - Deegan 2 tries etc etc) are really important.

He's Leinster's second highest URC try scorer this year with 6 tries, is the second highest in the entire URC in terms of line out steals (with 8) and brings an experience and leadership to those teams as well that is crucial. Leinster just rolling out quasi-academy sides in those games will not see them getting the results they need for home knock out games and the ability to rest players ahead of big European knock outs etc.

He was also dropped (out of the 23) last year by Munster for the run-in to the league, behind a guy who was already confirmed to be leaving, lost his place in the Irish squad and is leaving for France at the age of 28. It's hardly the stuff of fairytale success either.

I mean maybe he would have better hair, more vitality and so on…

I've literally no idea what you're on about here with this nonsense.

My argument for why he'd be a better player is that over that same period since he left Leinster - from c. 2018 to now, there is a multitude of players who Leinster can evidence improved significantly from the benefit of quality coaching teams. Guys like James Lowe, JGP, Hugo Keenan and JVDF are prime examples of this.

Munster arguably now have a coaching team which you'd be confident under, but for a lot of Carbery's time there that simply wasn't the case and he looked like a player ill-suited to the gameplan he was asked to play and who was visibly drained of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

ulster wont be happy until the whole ulster starting 15 is subsidized by leinster.

Post edited by Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3 on

He got beat out by players who are just better in crowley and who was in better form in Healy. He got endless opportunity before that. You seem to think its a given he beats out Keenan long term. Seems unlikely.

And again,.. this started with Deegan who also lost his place .. but at Leinster.

AGAIN, deegan leaves at 23, and we have this exact same conversation. The exact same one. Leave leinster and it is automatically assumed that you have had the ideal version of your career there. Its nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you keep ignoring my point. I can't see many examples of players who left who seemed to develop or significantly improve as players. Carbery certainly did not. It's not just about opportunity, he just never seemed to be the player we thought he might have been when he broke through. Just getting minutes is pointless if its playing a gameplan he's singularly ill-suited to playing.

It is an entirely fair statement to say Leinster have been by far the best coached, most stable and most successful province over the past 10 years or so. That's the primary reason why, all else being equal, it's where players want to play when they have the chance.

Advertisement