Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New procedure for claiming pothole tyre damage for Cork County

Options
  • 07-05-2024 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

HI All,

Made absolute xxxx of a NEW tyre the other day. Found VERY little on how to claim for a replacement online , so did a bit of digging. Note this is only for Cork County Council.

Text POTHOLE + (YOUR REG #) TO 51777

They will send you a link to fill out.

MaKe sure you take lots of pictures of the road in the direction you were travelling, a close up of the pothole, a picture of the wheel and tyre damage, pic of tax disc, ins disc , nct disc, tax book, drivers licence and a few more details and you're damage will be refunded in full! NICE TO KNOW WITH THE STATE OF OUR ROADS NOWADAYS !! GOOD LUCK!

Post edited by PENPEN500 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭JVince

my guess is you are quite young - under 35/40.

If you think roads are bad now, you should have tried driving in the 80's

Generally Irish roads are as good as any in a comparable country and these days would definitely be better than the roads in the UK. But you will get potholes now and then and even the odd sinkhole

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

I guess you haven't visited Cork in a while.

My missus is from Brazil and she said the roads in Cork city centre remind her of the favelas.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Thanks to OP @PENPEN500 for the claim process info. Busted my tyre in April, reported the protruding stone to the council, got the case number and submitted the claim to IPB. Last week they agreed to pay €295 for tyre replacement and installation without admitting liabity (obviously). Money have landed in my account yesterday. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PENPEN500

@jvince I'm no spring chicken but thank you for your kind comments. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PENPEN500

@ruskyrusky Nice one! Happy to help. It's a handy system. You did a right job on the tyre, they were quick to fill it in. It took ccc a month to fill the pothole that blew my tyre out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I claimed through this for a pothole that destroyed my new tyre in Laois. They refused to pay here was their reason.

"We refer to the above matter and previous correspondence.
    We wish to advise that our investigations into this matter are now complete. Based on our
    investigations we are of the view that the defence of nonfeasance is open to us and we are
    therefore denying liability in respect of this claim.
    There are thousands of kilometres of road network in the charge of Laois County Council and it
    is simply not feasible for them to be aware of every defect on every roadway. They rely on the
    public to notify them of any issues at which point they will look to carry out remedial works.
    Whilst every effort is made by the Council to repair and maintain roads within the funds
    allocated for this purpose, the Council cannot be held responsible for damage resulting from
    normal wear and tear of the road.
    Laois County Council therefore have not breached a duty of care to you and therefore the legal
    defence of nonfeasance is available to us and we will rely upon same.
    It is with regret that we wish to advise that we can be of no financial assistance to you in
    respect of this matter."

Post edited by patrickc on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly reach out to your local councillors and they’ll sort you after they speak with the Laois CC.

It’s the exact kinda stuff they’re there to do.

Advertisement