Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of Migrant checkpoints in Northern Ireland? - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you check everyone crossing the border when there are hundreds of roads that cross it and then you have the fields that people can just walk to cross it? We had 2 armies and 2 police forces trying to stop people crossing the border for 30 years and they couldn't stop it. So apart from building a wall around the land border and putting gun boats in the sea how do you propose to check everyone who is crossing the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

How, it's actually pretty easy. You take their phone away and examine it. I'm willing to bet 5 minutes of examining the phones of these border hoppers would tell you exactly who they are, who their mates are, the trafficker's identity etc. If there's one thing that low IQ criminals have proved beyond a doubt, it's that they can't help themselves on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ok and then how do you get a passport for them to go to whatever place they're from?

what do you do when they hear of phones being checked and act accordingly to hide stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

There are no shortage of embassies in town that I'm sure could provide consular assistance and issue the poor unfortunate and careless individual with a new passport for the one they 'lost'. And as I pointed out, they hide nothing, you get their social media, you will know exactly who they are and what they're up to as they will be communicating it all to friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ok. Let's say you do that. It'll work for a while but then people will wise up. Traffickers will let people know they need to get a phone with nothing much on it or even fill it with information that would pass that kind of test.

What then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Do you think there's no room for improvement on the current set up?

Like most things in the civil service there's likely a big issue with man power and general resources causing a lot of delays.

In the case of the people being discussed in this thread, those coming from the UK via Northern Ireland, they should have some claim of asylum with the UK system that they should be willing to share details of with officials in Ireland.

Put simply, if an asylum seeker has been in the UK system and refuses to share information of their application in the UK with Irish authorities they should be deported with immediate effect.

Nobody is winning with how things work currently, our system is creaking under the weight of the number of people arriving here and those people are being shoved into tents in the meen time.

Genuine asylum seekers aren't and never have been the issue, if somebody comes here and is gaming the system they need to be made ann example of in order to deter any more chancers taking advantage of us, it will improve things for everyone.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

We cant put check IN northern Ireland we can Only put checks at the Border.

Check for people at the Irish Sea will NOT happen so no point in voting for it or asking for it. UK is delighted to pass this problem over the sea. And delighted to get back at Ireland for insisting that there be free movement accross the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yes. No doubt - we should have physical check points with detention centres, and we should have roving teams of border guards working 24/7 across the length of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

I am very sceptical of these claims and the “announcement” that the government were going to send them back to the UK.

It all seems a very convenient way of an under pressure government blaming the problem on someone else, and who better than the Brits.

Also, RTE ran an article a few days ago and according to them, during the last six years that the UK was part of the Dublin agreement and asylum seekers could be sent back to the UK, we sent a massive 163 asylum to the UK and they sent us 154, so hardly a huge number.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Border checks on border with NI or in NI will not work if we still throw out welcome mat.

We also can't force another jurisdiction to do something about the ones we would refuse entry.

Besides the border checks would be unenforceable on our current border.

The ultimate solution is to make ourselves so uninviting that no one wants to go to bother of coming in the first place and the ones already here want to leave.

That means we introduce internment, lets try an island off West coast.

I nominate one of the ones in Galway (mind you not Inisbofin as lovely place with nice people) or Blaskets in Kerry.

No chance of citizenship ever, no working after few months, no social welfare of any kind, no revolving door taxpayer funded legal slush fund appeals system, no own door accommodation ever.

You get ticket to where ever you came from, to whoever has arrest warrant out for you or you go home - we will pay for it.

If you want asylum here you apply from refugee camp and we assess you like we did with Vietnamese boat people, etc.

You don't get to wander around half of Europe first.

Just for the hard of understanding around here…

This does not apply to normal decent VISA applicants who foolishly go to bother of getting skills and qualifications before applying for work visas or to those that apply for legitimate university courses.

Of course now to some I am a fascist worse than those in waffen SS Das Reich division.

Or hell maybe even as bad as one of those awful Australians.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Achill would be better,or some of the islands in clew bay,much more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Cross border buses and trains have had Gardai checks for several years south of the border before Dundalk.

The common travel area ONLY applies to UK/EU citizens. If you're from elsewhere it is NOT a common travel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You want people in the 6 counties to carry a passport whenever they are traveling to the Republic?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a foreign country run by a corrupt foreign parliament in Westminster and with a local assembly full of bomb makers and religious zealots. Of course we should have customs controls on our border with Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Absolutely not, it would be seen as a victory for unionism.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I believe that legally you don't need a passport with Ryanair for a flight to the UK. I don't know if you remember that far back but there was a time when ryanair accepted student ID's for flights to the UK. It's just company policy.

And you can hop on a ferry without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you need one nowadays, aer lingus require at least a driver's license to go to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Legally no, but Ryanair run their airline with their rules. Just a nuisance and an unwanted expense.

Quote function fuerked

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

A hard border would permanently prevent reunification with the 6 counties so I wouldn't be in favour of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

We do need to remember here that the British also insisted on free movement across the border. We really, really can't allow that part of history be rewritten. The most the British government suggested was technological solutions for the purposes of customs re goods and materials crossing the border — and those suggestions were always put forward with the [highly optimitic] assertion that they would cause minimal friction for the movement of people across the border.

At no point did the British ever propose, and therefore at no point did Ireland ever refuse, the establishment of a hard border. The idea that they are getting vengeance on Ireland for some perceived sleight is a narrative created in London to appease a jingoistic narrative that the Tories have used time and time again to boost their English nationalism credentials to make Labour look weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Just when I thought we put this behind us with Brexit, we once again find ourselves in "magic border" world — a world where a border can just be whatever you say it will be, and all you have to do is just believe hard enough and it will manifest itself.

A hard border for people but "soft for trading in goods". Right. OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

What's the problem with a hard border? The likes of Israel are allowed by the neo-liberal leaders of the free world to have a hard border, not only that, they are allowed increase it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah, Wow is right, why is it acceptable for one nation in the free allied apple pie democratic neo liberal loving world and not any other?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Agreed. A lot of unionists and far right people in Ireland backed by them would love a border. I don't think anyone else in Ireland would. Reunification seemed on track not that long ago but there certainly seems to be some smart forces working against it and establishing a border is one example of their attempts to further Unionism in Ireland in my view.

This seems an odd perspective, especially when you consider that the calls for border checks seems to be loudest in the South at present.

Illegal immigration existed long before the current situation, it is just being exacerbated by the addition of the displaced Ukrainian population also here as a result of war. It really is a stretch to link any increase in asylum seekers and calls from the southern population for them to be turned back at a re-established border, to some nefarious plot by Unionists to have a hard border again.

The theme of this thread seems to be the call from the population in the Republic to twart further incoming illegals flowing through NI by turning them back before they enter the Republic. That of course is a practical impossibility unless the border was sealed again, and as was pointed out earlier, if it couldn’t be done by hundreds/thousands of British soldiers in the past, it certainly isn’t going to be done by a handful of Gardai.
    This isnt a problem unique to Ireland, virtually every developed country in the world where there is relatively free movement of people experiences it. Irish illegals have been travelling to the US for generations. If there wasn’t a shortage of accommodation, the fact is that most here wouldn’t give a damn about it because it wouldn’t be in the news unless someone died in a cargo container.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

I don't think it's a stretch at all. It's being said far and wide across social media. There is a reason there has always been such a big attempt to bash Sinn Fein by these types. We know loyalists with a history behind them are supporting the far right here, sharing their stuff on social media and big question marks are there about how some of these far right guys are funded. I even saw some wearing the Orange Order attire "for the laugh" in some pictures. A lot of people in Ireland would need to be literally deceased before you'd be able to get that attire on them. People are connecting the dots. I think loyalists are having a good laugh at Paddy while they share the videos of protests and bash Sinn Fein at the same time. We all know the history. My dad was telling me that when he was younger the likes of Tommy Robinson wouldn't even be safe walking around parts of Dublin but now he's welcomed by those types with open arms which is crazy when you think about what he's done in relation to a soldier involved in Bloody Sunday. And now we get this push for a hard border. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to start putting things together.

In your view, far right Nationalists in the South are being controlled from the North by Unionists?

There have been far bigger scumbags than Tommy Robinson walking around Dublin for decades. Ask your dad why he didn’t do something about the drug dealers, racketeers, Nationalist murderers when he was younger. I think he is pulling your leg, or playing the big man.

Social media will feed whatever loony views people have, don’t believe all you read, you don’t know the source in a lot of cases, nor their motives.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it's not about illegal immigrants flowing through NI.

Illegal immigrants cross the border and don't make themselves known to the authorities.

We are taking about asylum seekers here, people who present themselves to the authorities and whom the authorities are obliged to help while their asylum claim is being processed.

The current forore is about the obviously visible asylum seekers living in tents because we can't accommodate them any more.

To most people the illegal immigrants that are here taking the jobs we don't want to do are grand compared to the guys looking for asylum.

Advertisement