Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hotel staff around the country were often foreign 10, even 20 years ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can't usefully reply, as anecdotes as we all know, are not allowed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

You should try (actually, no, I hope it doesn't happen to you) having children who need health intervention or CAMHS and not being able to get help for them due to overcrowding, canceled scheduled surgeries and 'funding issues' all whilst paying similarly scandalous amounts of income tax.

Can't post the specifics as that would be posting "anecdotes" which I probably made up...

Then see how much angrier you'll be...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I seen a documentary in 2015 about scoliosis. It is etched in my mind to this day. I'm so sorry for any family dealing with these things. Gross mismanagement.

Anyone that says differently is a fool as many Govt supporters would say.

A country is a society first and foremost, then an economy. The Govt have ripped up the social contract.

How we treat some of our most vulnerable certainly makes me feel uneasy about the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree with everything you say ...except the last paragraph .

I don't agree that many are so excercised about the issue ... annoyed, yes , and want McEntee and others to step up and sort it.

But not enough to go to a very well publicised protest march on a grey bank holiday Monday . The crowd attending would be a turn off for sure for many people in the middle .

It certainly is going to be one of the issues in the European elections and next GE but it has moved down the list of priorities again with the voting public .

Housing is back up there well ahead this month .

All of the issues that affect voters are dynamic but housing is consistently up there for the last year topping the list of voter concerns . Health going down and up , people always worried about that .

Also SF moving up again in polls think because of their newfound stronger stance on immigration .

Lets face it we all knew they would pivot seeing as the majority of their voters are the most vocal about immigration .

The majority of those polled who are for border checkpoints were SF voters which is ironic given how that would affect the Irish in the North if implemented. Be more a coup for Unionists, especially hardliners if that was to happen at this stage .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/poll-50pc-in-favour-of-migrant-checkpoints-at-the-border-with-northern-ireland/a420206090.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

What about the public health issue of toilet facilities for the Grand Canal tents?

According to RTE "Most of those sleeping in the tents say they are staying warm, but are having to walk 30 minutes to access toilet and shower facilities."

Can you imagine what goes on during the night when somebody is caught short? An open sewer in the heart of the city centre. Un-effing believable really.

I pity any tourist who's spent a small fortune booking an overpriced holiday in Dublin's scarce accommodation. What great memories they'll be taking home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The water flows into Grand Canal Dock where there'll be young fellas and young wans jumping in on the hot days. Surely an e-coli risk!?

Not that anyone should be jumping in there anyway but they do.

it's not really unique to dublin though. paris, rome, brussels, berlin, london, all still get plenty of tourists but have migrant camps nowadays, far bigger than the grand canal one too. tenerife has a massive tent city too, madrid has the biggest shanty town in europe. my brother lives in malta and its full of homeless migrants too. tourists can handle the sight of a few tents it seems.

this is the new europe and is only going to keep getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

And fg / ff to blame for allowing them in. They should be transported down to the most remote parts of the country. See how easily they make their way back them. Or else offer them free flights home to their " war torn" countries.

where in the country do you think locals will be accepting of this setup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

I think we in the "remote parts of the country" have more than taken our share of Ukes and Illegals. Kerry has 33 times the ratio of Dunlaoghaire and 7 times the national average.

How's dem apples....

Suddenly It's an issue when they're camping and sh1tting in Dublin..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

I found it via Google from The Guardian- child’s funeral in France yesterday or the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

The fact that it exists in other countries doesn't make it ok that it should exist here. The issues in places like Spain and France have different historic reasons and vast slums have developed there as a result. Their cities are also much larger and you don't find shanty towns in the heart of the most affluent commercial and residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

It would all end in the morning if the Government announced they will give no social welfare to these new immigrants, its that simple, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

When I view the forum homepage on Chrome it shows "Latest Posts", but not "Trending", and this thread does appear under that at the moment, and I've seen it there very often in the past.

But when I view the forum homepage in MS Edge, it shows "Trending" and "Latest Posts" and it shows the Migrant Checkpoint thread in both, but this thread is not in "Trending". But the Checkpoint thread has had only around ~42 posts today, compared to >100 posts in this thread.

So it is a bit weird but maybe there's an explanation in how it's coded….

you do actually, there have been migrant camps set up in mayfair, a very fancy part of london. there was one by marble arch for a while when i lived there. they only cleared one from central paris the other day too

https://apnews.com/article/france-paris-olympics-migrants-police-security-camp-2dde4d2cccb8b7d9b9914c3798530fe5

i'm not saying this means they should exist here, i was responding to someone saying tourists will be horrified, but it's pretty much part and parcel with many tourist destinations in europe nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Healy Raes making millions out of housing Ukrainians in Kerry .Blowing out both sides of their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Oh it's certainly financially driven, Simon Harris said in the Dail a few months ago on this topic RE: Sweden etc. problems; "we will integrate them better"

Anyone who walks along the canal this week can see how much salt we should put into Simon's words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes, unfortunately this is 100% the case.

The Govt has basically won the economic lottery with the tax-take from the FDI sector. Our own indigenous industries are completely ignored or, as in the case of tourism, being actively destroyed by Government policy.

The money these FDIs generate is highly mobile and incredibly susceptible to a change in tax-policy by an American administration. It could disappear in an instant and leave a massive hole in our economy.

If the Government were acting in the best interests of its citizens, present and future, they would be using this windfall to improve our underlying economy and invest in Health, Education, Infrastructure, etc.

Instead they are pissing it away in front of our eyes.

It actually makes me livid to see the waste these charlatans have presided over. They are fcuking up this country for our children because they haven't a backbone between the lot of them. The worst thing about it all is there is no credible opposition either.

Make no mistake, they will piss billions away on the immigration issue - money that could be used to transform the country will be instead used to jack up property and rental prices and place more strain on our services.

What a fcuking joke we have become - the whole thing is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Proper remote though, not in remote towns and villages. Set up a massive camp say in Crilly, Donegal. Miles from anything. Right on the U.K. border, plenty of fields. Put in basic facilities and tell them they can’t leave without permission unless they’re heading home. Anyone that does leave has their deportation fast-tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Why not Mosney, it's an established accommodation centre, it's on an 80 acre site, has every support service that AS need, medical etc. There must be plenty of space in the vast grounds there to site 100's of .tents until applications are processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Asylum seekers have not received social welfare since about 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

A report on drive time on radio about the new tented areas popping up, the reporter asked some of the people in tents were they moved in from Mount Street and they didn't know where or what mount Street was so obviously new arrivals in the last week.

Tents down at the central bank too now according to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I'd love to know whats going on in the Justice Department.

As mentioned by Michael McNamara, the German Justice Department managed to deport 4,000 people over the same time period that the DoJ deported 2 people. That's a serious chasm in performance.

You would have to wonder are there activist lawyers embedded in there who go through the motions but with a wink and a nod are just looking for any excuse not to pursue people and enforce deportation. Lawyers who might get a job in an NGO next. I wonder is the problem that the DoJ are employing human rights lawyers, when they really need to employ lawyers experienced in prosecuting criminality and human trafficking!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They receive a social welfare payment called a Daily Expenses Allowance.

Or are you being overly pedantic as by that logic Irish people don't get social welfare either we get jobseekers allowance/benefit etc.

It's still coming from the Department of Social Protection and still called a social welfare payment by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm quite certain the person I was quoting thought they got the dole, based on their other contributions.

They may have thought that cutting the 30/week would be a deterrent; but when being given a tent and nowhere to pitch it as "accomodation" isn't a successful deterrent, they'd be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I've always got the impression that the Dept. of Justice is full of lifers counting down the days. The Sec Gen is a lifer who worked her way up. No idea what accountability or action means.

Advertisement