Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That makes me sad.

You'd need to knock 2 or 3 together to make a comfortable home for a single person, or a couple with very few possessions. It's absolutely tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Luna84

What the hell type of golden spoon in the mouth upbringing did you have? Did you never wash yourself with a sponge from the sink as well as wash your hair also over the sink? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Might be this? The "George Best Hotel" in Belfast. Bought by an investment company whose business model was to sell the rooms to investors to fund the construction, then investors get the returns when the hotel opens. Shockingly, it didn't work out. The building is still empty today and the Signature Living company is liquidated. Such a pity as it's a stunning building literally in the centre of Belfast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No, it was The Grand Canal Hotel. I see @spurious posted a link to an article from 2018 about it, upthread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I've seen similar ads during the recession, where some hotels were selling a suite/rooms for a set period of time.

I think it works like this. For your €225,000, you 'own' the suite for 35 years with a guaranteed income.

So, €19,000 x 35 years = €665,000. After 35 years, ownership of the suite reverts back to the hotel. So you have €665,00 - €225,000 = €440,000 (minus any capital gains tax, e.g. current rate is 33%.

It's a very long financial commitment for modest returns, in my opinion. I'd prefer to have the original €225,000 in some well managed investment fund(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Fairly sure that the building of the Grand Canal hotel was financed that way too. I remember people trying to offload suites there during the recession and when we had more hotels than we could fill back then, they were essentially worthless.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

If big houses are your thing, this is one of the finest examples in my home town. A fairly recent build too

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-castlemagarretpark-old-claremorris-co-mayo/5681561

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lordy that is ugly. Haven't looked at the interior yet.

Edit, the exterior pics get worse, and the interior doesn't redeem it.

'To The Manor Born' notions, but they failed spectacularly. It's hideous, and every room is too big to feel like a home. The flooring is particularly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The entrance hall marble floor looks like a sea of vomit.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Imagine the fart echoes in that bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That bathroom is a ridiculous - a total waste of so much space. Does anyone really need a bathroom that big?

I know that house as I live an hour away and passed it many times. Nice to get a look inside. There is a ruins of a castle on the other side of the road and another two mansions down the road in the same parish. One more spectacular than the other. Wouldn't mind a look in that house as well.

I just remembered who ever owns that house has cameras monitoring the traffic going over the bridge where I circled in black. He also has cameras on the gate which isn't too unreasonable but monitoring the traffic with two cameras a day and night one going over the bridge is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

At first glance of the cover picture I thought "ah, that's not all that bad, I do like a nice square multi-bay pile....."

but having gone through the whole lot, it's worse!!

Nice utility room and sauna/ gym though...

Notions is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Oof, that is an architectural abomination. I'm not entirely certain what style they were trying to imitate there, but they failed badly. Nearest I can come up with is "Broke minor landed gentry who can't afford to build a modern manor and so resorts to knocking a few more windows in the walls of the family's old fortified house…", but even they would usually do a better job than that mess.

The interior ranges from "meh" to hideous, too. The hall and staircase are a crime against humanity; the plain white walls and ceiling don't work at all with the staircase or with that marble floor (not that anything else would make the latter any more palatable anyway). The rest of the downstairs is inoffensive enough, though, other than some wasted space here and there. Upstairs, the red carpet in the hall is certainly a choice, and the main bathroom is ridiculously huge and also hideous. The larger bedrooms are big, but not as ridiculously so as they could be, and the rest is fine. All of the bedrooms being ensuite is handy enough (well, except for that one box room which has an "unsuite" for some reason, whatever that means… 😛). The attic is just a basement substitute for the lads to hang out in, I suppose. I guess the one advantage to living in the place is not having to look at the exterior most of the time…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Questions it raises;

What architect would consciously design something as horrible as that?

Why did the Planning department let it through? I thought they fancied themselves as arbiters of taste, they are certainly quick enough to insist on quite picky details usually. (Ah, yes, it was built in 1997 during the 'build whatever you like' period, this is why Planning got fussy).

Why do people stick monstrous houses in the middle of bare fields and never put a bit of planting around them? A few trees would improve it considerably. I suppose if you are going to build a McMansion you want people to see how much you have spent.

That's what I meant to say also - what is it with plonking giant houses (and even some not so giant ones) on enormous patches of absolutely bare tarmac, in absolutely bare fields, without so much as a pot plant to soften it??

I mean, even a box hedge lollipop tree either side of the front door would go a long way - never mind some actual planting and landscaping....

It's very scorched earth looking.

• Advertisement

There is one close to me, its very rural and the few houses are scattered, but that one is the only blot on the landscape. Its actually not a bad looking house but it's nakedness would be so improved by some planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

That one is crying out for some trees to be planted along the driveway and around house.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

What?!?

Plant vegetation and mess up the fine line of sight there is for when you're picking off approaching peasants with the ol' shotgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Island living, 3 houses, rights over 9,500 acres of Connemara. Yours for 2.9m. Euromillions tonight so!

https://www.irishtimes.com/property/residential/2024/05/07/connemara-hunting-lodge-adored-by-earls-and-kings-for-29m/

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭Deeec

I actually dont think the exterior of the house is that bad. It does have an old country manor look to it and the stone used etc make it fit in to the countryside even through its large. It looks like it could have sat there for a 100 years. All it needs is some expert landscaping and it would look fine.

The inside however is attrocious. It screams no money and no taste everywhere. Everything needs to be redone inside. The inside is not in keeping with the exterior at all. It looks like they had no money left to do the interiors properly.

Its not bad value by the look of it. I bet there is a big back story to that house and owners though which sometimes can turn buyers off.

The proportions of the outside are all wrong, the spacing of the windows, the size and number of them, the shape of the entranceway are all clumsy. The spacing between the plain upper windows and the parapet is wrong. The stone, in itself, is fine, but its just stuck onto a cobbled together blockwork shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The front of the house needed the tall bay windows that you see on Victorian and Georgian houses.

The camera beside the bridge can be seen in one of the photos.

Class of owner is exemplified here: TV in a cabinet? nothing wrong with that, but WTF is in in a glass cabinet for? Some days I'd arrive home and be so knackered I'd just watch the TV through the glass instead of opening the doors.

The windows really bothered me looking through all the photos.

At first I thought they were plastic hinged ones, but on zooming in I realised they actually are sash, and presumably wooden - but my goodness they're mean, and way out of proportion to the house itself. Horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is a really interesting home for sale in Ballinamore in Leitrim. The long windows on the front caught my eye and the inside is very much not what I expected of a farmhouse in Leitrim 😊

This modernist home at Ballinamore Co. Leitrim was one of the first modernist buildings to be constructed in that area. Itâ??s life started with ambitious beginnings, the base for an impressive initiative to bring Irish Farming into the modern age in an era that marked the start of mechanisation of agriculture, the use of fertilizers, genetics for better breeding. As an indication of the importance and ambition of this work, Architects were commissioned to design this impressive building. This 1960's era was when orientation and the utilization of natural light became central. At the Model Farm, the staggered roof line with end to end windows facing west bringing light to the middle of this impressive building is a prime example of the style.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-the-old-model-farm-cleendargan-ballinamore-co-leitrim/5679824

Advertisement