Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Such a bizarre and stupid decision by MS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really is a different breed of sociopaths running these companies now. Other than Nintendo they just seem to be blindly chasing profits and shareholder appeasement. It's chasing the current trends which always brings diminishing returns instead of fostering healthy eco systems with broad appeal and funding lower risk more out there products while the reliable money makers keep things stable.

Listening to Tim Rogers talking about the early days of PlayStation when it was run by old school Sony music executives that wanted to create a brand that was more like a music or movie publisher fostering a wide portfolio of products.

I don't know, this closure just really doesn't sit right with me. I kind of wanted Microsoft to do well and be some healthy competition to Sony but **** them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It also really makes me question the benefit of something like GamePass. I always thought the saving grace of that model given the drawbacks was potentially funding smaller games like Hi-Fi Rush to ensure a steady stream of releases that might not have otherwise gotten the green light. But if that’s not what’s going to happen and it’s only going to just be a model to fund mediocre AAA slop like Starfield and Halo Infinite, then it just reaffirms the worst fears about a subscription model.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

The writing has been on the wall for a while.

GamePass is just unsustainable and cuts/closures were always coming when they were buying so many studios/funding aaa games from the ground up on an ecosystem that doesn't want it's customers to buy games.

Might not be the most popular figure but Colin Moriarty has been calling this for years.

I really think it's time for Phil Spencer to go. It just hasn't been working. They need a change in leadership and a new vision. Everything releasing on PS5 soon after Xbox isn't the way forward either. Sony having such control over the high end console market is going to make them even more complacent than they already are.

Such a shame as I really enjoyed Ghostwire Tokyo and HiFi Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was confirmed yesterday (after it was confirmed by Tony Hawk ages back) that Tony Hawk 3&4 remaster pitch was rejected as Activision wanted the Devs to work on supporting call of duty instead. So much of the gaming industry is leaning into this awful, mediocre, singular area of trying to make money from AAA online games, it really sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw that all over twitter the last few days but it was known about since around the time of the first TH remake. Still ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Its going to make any up and coming MS announcements bitter sweet because regardless of how good something is you cant promise that the developer will be there in the future. Creativity is almost being consumed by generic open world titles or cash grab GAAS. I guess I have outgrown what these companies want me to be playing or I at least feel I have.

I am almost lucky enough to have each console going Id be despairing if I was a sole MS consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Really such a brain dead move from MS, actually getting angrier over it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Would you like Halo or Forza with your fries sir ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is there something going on in the background? Doesn't make sense to close down the HiFi Rush team after how successful the game was.

Yup especially since it's just being launched on PS and Switch. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats what I'm saying. This is a successful team so why kill them off? Is there something going on in the background? Some scandal maybe? Or maybe the team never wanted to be solely working for Microsoft and they've agreed to close and reopen under another name? Did they have a valuable IP that Microsoft wanted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Genuinely just don’t think Microsoft really know what they’re doing at the moment - the messaging and strategy is bizarre, confused, contradictory. It seems like they’ve hit a wall with Game Pass sustainability, but now also have a staggering bill from all the acquisitions to worry about too.

But beyond Microsoft the closure of all these small studios (like Roll7) is a disgrace. None of these massive companies give a **** about quality - just endless growth. Modest success isn’t good enough. It brings me some solace at least that the indie space has seen so many successes recently, because really that’s the place where there’s cause for optimism in gaming at the moment as the AAA and corporate space implodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Maybe it hasn't sold? Didn't they say they needed to make the move to 3rd party in order to fund the sequels? Guess their metrics are telling them its gone as far as it's going to go and it's not worth investing in a sequel.

I only hope the team get hired elsewhere or maybe even moved somewhere else internally within xbox studios.No future in Tango but look we value your talent and have something else in mind for you. Wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

These days, no game makes enough money unless it makes all the money. No game meets sales expectations unless we're all currently playing it right now. No game is successful unless we're all staying on the roadmap for all future seasons, battlepasses and cosmetic mtxs.

The criteria for "success" has become a near-unreachable goal throughout the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

They've just assured that no studios will ever want to join the brand in the future!

Bit of an own goal here!

I think we might look back on this decision as the start of the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They're not even allowed to have CoD on there, are they?

Remember when Microsoft came very close to purchasing Sega?

Thank **** that didn't happen.

They did enquire about Nintendo, and Nintendo just laughed at them. 😁😁😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fairness, when MS comes calling with a giant cheque, I think that'd change developers minds. No, this is more about consumer facing, and it just means that they're becoming just like Activision, where all their studios are got roped into the COD mill, this is just the same thing, except the games that they're going to be working on aren't even as good as cod, they're fecking Halo and Forza.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They've just assured that no studios will ever want to join the brand in the future!

Absolutely. And they just announced their summer showcase and have apparently sent out embargo details to journalists today re some of the games that will be on show. Hard to be excited about any of those titles now when it's been made very clear that their future commercial and/or critical success could still see the studios canned.

At least Microsoft have the safe bet of Indiana Jones to fall back on this holiday season as a guaranteed, COD-scale licensed blockbuster.

Hold on, just checking the final box office of Dial of Destiny…

Man, Ninja Theory absolutely must be feeling like this.

• Advertisement

Advertisement