Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Banned from immigration thread.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are actually two. I think you can see the OP by logging out

I would add though that no-one can expect to have their threadban lifted if they do not ask (the mod who issued it if still around)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

I just had a look through archive, and can see two bans were lifted (nullzero and suvigirl), if this is the case then the aggressive lmao10 has been posting in breach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

and a pair of them posting away even when you could see the threadbans.

You used to be able to look at page 1 by going incognito or logging out and it'd show the first "new" page which was the first page but that's not working anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Isn't that part of the problem?
    "uncivil" is open to interpretation, but thread rules are not. Yet some people can flout thread rules with apparent impunity and others cannot. To mere ordinary posters, this will appear as biased moderation.

I also do not understand the logic behind a "threadban" in a forum like AH/CA. Just ban the poster from the forum for a period of time. If someone is being a dick in one AH/CA thread chances are they are doing it in the rest of them too.

Why have different rules at the thread level in CA/AH? Its just overcomplicating things for no benefit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No one can flout thread rules with impunity. What on earth gave you that idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

I had my ban lifted (after I asked the mods) but got banned again, which was a right pain in the nads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not sure if that was directed at me or not.

Step 1. Look at threadbanned list.

Step 2. See said names posting.

The one that you reported was actioned

EDIT - and I will deal with the ones that were not reported now

2nd EDIT - my post was responding to the post immediately before it, not yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can't see you there, unless under different name. My mistake - yes two bans lifted. But look down this list, many longstanding and credible posters on it, along with new reg trolls. That these former are thread banned undermines credibility greatly.

Threadbans: 07/05/24

Cognitive Dissident

realdanbreen

jmayo

nullzero (lifted Feb 20th)

hynesie08

dtothebtotheh

hotmail.com

buried

Hungry Burger

Boggles

DeadHand

Overheal

lmao10

Dyr

nullzero

TomTomTim

sb95

maninasia

Hamachi

Star Bingo

NattyO

hymenelectra

Nuts102

treemaster

JohnJoFitz

Beechwoodspark

high_tower

tastyt

paxreseuropa

JP Liz V1

superbatman

enricoh

0ph0rce0

suvigirl - lifted 7/4/24

creeper1

Honesty Policy

Tikka2020

highpressisbest

Potatoeman

Galwayguy35

lmimmfn

sive60

Long Sean Silver

US3

Thinkabouit

Strumms

Dublincc2

smallbeef

malinheader

1800_Ladladlad

Guildenstern

Modulok

ToweringPerformance

Gym_Imposter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was banned from both Immigration and Zero Refugees threads but was back in the Immigration thread with lift after appealing to the mods then the thread was closed which honestly I don't understand why

One thing that really irritated me as I would mention crimes by IPAs refugees migrants AS etc., I would be asked for proof and even when proof links from sufficient msm were provided as social media or Gript are not seen as reliable, I was asked again and again for proof or the proof links dissed off as nothings

I do think in these threads that crimes should be allowed in discussion as it is one reason for people's fears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You bring up a good point, JP, should users with multiple threadbans receive a forum ban?

I mean, they’ve clearly shown they can’t “debate” a topic without resorting to rule breaking and one threadban, obviously, didn’t deter them.

Could it be time to bring in a forum ban for serial threadbanners?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Are you referring to things before the courts when referencing crimes? If so there is zero flexibility - it's a site rule that anything before the courts cannot be discussed.

My bad Furze, I was referring to the other thread on immigration that was closed. Apologies for the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes I understand if still in the courts no discussion but if sentenced or an old case then showing an example should be allowed

I own up that I sometimes forget that on going court cases cannot be mentioned

In regard @EmmetSpiceland post above about forum ban, is that a thing, I thought just thread bans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What thread is that?

It looks like the refugee thread and if so then why am I having to read through lmao10 posting nonsense everyday on it.

Post edited by Backstreet Moyes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Shoog

They way I see it, the far right have saturated their right orientated messaging services and cannot expand their reach without greater penetration of more conventional discussion forums such as boards.ie

As such there is a constant wave of new members pushing a hard right agenda trying to create a beachhead for their campaign of greater legitimacy and these types of threads are just another front in trying to shift the agenda to one more tolerant of hard right talking points.

There is an obvious attempt to try to wear down the moderators by these constant threads of complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If you replaced the word right with the word left in your post you'd be directed to the conspiracy theories forum.

Glazers Out!

Its called gaslighting the moderator team.

I suspect it ain't going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Packrat

Ah would you lay off the labeling. How long before it gets through your heads that this calling everyone far right has failed.

Call us whatever you want. I really don't care anymore. I'm here on boards since about 2007 as are many of the posters that your declining small contingent disagree with.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

You suspect?

I've seen you post all sorts of crap on various threads without sanction, I've reported plenty of posts you've made.

Of course you want the status quo to remain, you benefit from it.

To you, everyone who isn't left wing is far right, and as a result of that you feel entitled to act anyway you like towards them.

You're literally posting a conspiracy theory claiming it as fact with absolutely ZERO evidence but you're allowed to do so because you're on side with the editoral bent of the site.

Glazers Out!

I am actually centrist in the same way you imagine that you are centrist.

But if you have reported me and I wasn't banned then maybe that grounds for you to reflect on your own position not mine.

And just to set the record straight I have been thread banned on quite a few occasions but you don't see me crying like a baby about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

How is it gaslighting, when the anecdotal contradictions highlighted ITT are literally there in the refugee thread?

You're no stranger to insulting those who don't align with your views. Many a tantrum thrown in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

possibly the moderators need to bring in new rules around calling everything far right and insinuating that protest attendees are using the faciast salute(like is currently sitting on the zero refugees thread all day today) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Saw this posted regarding the recent referendums, the range of opinions expressed here mightn't be too far off the public in general

Interesting that the so-called "conservative" boards.ie is almost an exact replica of the general public in this vote.

A lot of heads need to be removed from arses this morning.

The recent referendums was rejected by all political persuasions because it was so poorly drafted. Any party faction which attempts to own that result is just deluding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Christ, If the names on this list of people banned doesn’t show prejudice against a certain point of view nothing will.

Totally biased moderating in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Post edited by kabakuyu on

Did I insult you. I was making a statement of fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Iirc You have a history of using uncivil and uncouth language and if Iam not mistaken you were banned from some thread/s for same behaviour,might be time to moderate yourself.

All depends on what side of the point of view you have. Totally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Far left this, far right that, maybe if we all stopped with the American style labelling of everything it would help. It's an Irish website for god sake. I hate how it has invaded every single debate on the website in the past few years.

Instead of making new rules just follow the current ones, attack the post not the poster and don't be a dick. If you don't like something someone said, report it and don't engage. Use a bit of bloody common sense!

If you find a particular topic is very emotive for you maybe take a step back and have a think about whether it's worth spending time on the internet arguing with someone who has a polar opposite view of the topic than you do, you are never going to change their mind so why waste energy on it?

If everyone was just a little bit more considerate and accepting that their own viewpoint wasn't the centre of the universe there'd be far less issues to be dealt with by the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Or polls saying three out of four think we've taken in too many refugees, are we all far right now, father?

Your point ?

We have all had thread bans for our behaviour at times, I ain't complaing and I find it a bit pathetic that the same faces keep on crying about it.

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hello all. Once again we find ourselves involved in a HELP DESK thread where we see users dragging in other topics, issues and personal gripes and it has run its course. The feedback, suggestions and comments have been heard and taken on board. This will not be allowed to become a current affairs thread that descends into name calling and bickering.

I think that Necro has summed it up well in their last comment. The rules that currently govern the forums are there to help things run smoothly and ensure everyone is on the same page more or less, depending on how individuals interpret them and the moderators actions of course.

If there are any other constructive points to be made this thread will remain open. If not I will close it.

• Advertisement

What a few posters have been trying to do.

Probably no loss in closing it as IMHO I Don't think anything will be taken on board and it will just be the same as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was revealed in the latest Feedback thread that reporting a post counts as a discussion started by the user. If you click on their profile and they have a large number of discussions, but very few show, you can conclude that they either start a lot of threads in private groups (which are notoriously quiet), or they report a lot of posts.

I know the posters you referred to earlier - shoehorning stock phrases into every thread, snide comments designed to get a reaction so they can report another poster, ridiculous quirks in their posting style, and backslapping one another on threads. Everyone knows who they are and their previous usernames, but they get away with it.

Everyday a school day. Wow and wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ryan of Enfield

Passions running high but I see the occasional poster just making the single argument, time after time, and that's everyone on the opposing side is scum or a scumbag. Just my two cents worth but I would have thought that should be easy to moderate, even more so if its obvious in advance who the culprits are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Thread has just become another thread to rant about other posters without restrictions. Like all these threads

• Advertisement

Any idea what it means if you click on a users profile and it says you don't have access to the discussions

Posts made in a Group (private forum on the old site) or reported posts.

You do not have any access to discussions on this page is All it says under the highlighted Discussions word of a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Another great example of such bias was Nazi comparisons. Which were common on any threads about the "far right" or Trump, and totally tolerated. Yet during covid, anti restriction people started making similar comparisons to the other side. Eventually Beasty banned such comparisons on those threads, as they were being aimed at the righteous.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Yep, you need to have access to a private group to see any threads started there, or the mod forum where reported posts show.

There was a discussion about this in the Feedback thread and an Admin clarified that reporting a post starts a discussion, as threads are now called, and that shows on your profile in the number of discussions. It even lead one poster to rapidly edit a post.

I think serial reporting is a form of trolling and should be actioned, it's an incredibly underhanded way of ensuring your side of the argument dominates. Otherwise, it seems many people are too sensitive to leave the house.

°°°°°

The only thing that needs to be considered is applying the rules evenly at all times.

There is an untouchable class of posters on this site who are free to do as they like. Anyone else being a dick is already being dealt with, just round up the stragglers and nobody can complain.

Glazers Out!

Answers alot of what has been happening. IF ,Just say you had 100 hundred or so discussions and I could see them and i had maybe 62 discussions that are visible on my profile and i come across say ssomeone I can't access There discussions but they have say 500 discussions in total this could be serial reporting.

Yes, the private groups are very quiet so it's most likely that most of the discussions you can't access are reported posts.

The Mods obviously can't clarify, but unless anyone is spuriously reporting posts they shouldn't have a problem with their tally being known. I'd be happy for a Mod or Admin to list how many I've reported and how many were deemed actionable.

Thanks leg End, Absolutely can't thank you enough for the input. I clicked on the profile of a poster that alot of posters had suspicions about and seemed to get a wide Berth from the moderators. Itcertainly seems to all add up now. Can't thank you enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement