Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

Copy paste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

He's all over the place now, looks totally gone TBH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

what am I watching? Wilson is in bits!!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

Another poor selection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Same pattern the whole time Wilson in great pot, poor positional play, breaks down. Jones gets in with a great pot, then does silly miss on an easy shot. Given another 3/4 chances by Wilson in a frame., rinse and repeat

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That red by Jones to the middle didn't look on. What is he seeing out there? It's happened numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pressure getting to both players. Neither player doing great. It’s only just before 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rolling boh

This is the chance now for Wilson ,should be routine for a pro even with what is at stake.

Ah here that double was madness, pure madness, could of just handed him the frame and match when he was seriously wilting, crazy shot to take on at this stage

• Advertisement

Why did Jones attempt that double red? I think he should have played a stun shot on the red on the cushion behind the yellow, leave the cue ball there and send the red up the table. Maybe the yellow was partially in the way.

He played it odd as well. When John Higgins plays them he makes sure he has idea where the cueball is going. Hitting it firm but not walloping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rolling boh

One of many bizarre shot choices but I suppose he made the scoreboard look respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭John arse

As Wilson absolutely falls over the line here,get ready for the Tears-MARK MY WORDS😥😥😥😥😥

Wilson will be lucky to win another world title. He gets too emotional.

One of the most undeserving "champions" I can remember is Wilson. He won't care one bit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This has been by far the worst world championships I've ever seen. Not just the final but the entire two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Delighted for Wilson.

Poor final but fair play to him. Jones shouldn't have been near the final.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fair play to him for doing enough in the end, hard to blame him for shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Oh no, here come the water works.

Got handed it in the end, why oh why would Jones take on that double, Wilson was gone.

The damage was done in the first session, but you'd nearly of fancied the comeback and then that double comes out of nowhere and he hands it to him in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

That was Dott- Ebdon final standard

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness it obviously means a lot to him to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

ya , he really should be robotic and show no emotion ! He is world champion for fec sake and knows he may never win it again .

Does Jones realise he could have won this? Take away the horrendous start, not even all of the 6 frame lead, just one even. The last frame on the repotted black in the second session. The fluked black by Wilson tonight that Jones should have buried. And many of the frames that Jones squandered on his own.

The channel was changed as soon as it was clear this was over. Not a chance in hell am I watching that presentation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wilson was the most consistent player of the tournament up to tonight. No one really pushed him close. Well done to him.

Tonight he was shocking, but it’s done.

Right, it’s been emotional lads. See you all in September for something less exciting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Stephen Hendry spotted backstage with a bottle of Jack Daniels 🥃🥃🥃

It was dramatic though. There were a few close games in Q-Final, Semi-Final. Quarter Finals in particular was good for drama. There were two other close ones in the 1st round. Ding/Lisowski - M.Williams Si

But it was definitely a very poor final standard wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Poor state of affairs that Kyren Wilson was the strongest player this tournament.

He got over the line in the end but he was pretty poor overall, 7-1 start saved him and Jones just left him off the hook wat too many times, he had so many chances to win more frames, on another day the score line could of easily been the other way round, Wilson was actually terrible tonight, think he had like one break over 50 tonight, plus that lucky finish on the black, plus the double Jak took on to gift him it, he looked totally gone in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great for the Northamptonshire! Bit tense at the end but delighted for Kyren.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surprised he wasn't a bit more disappointed in the end, he was immediately chuffed with the 200k and top 16.

I don't blame him. I usually have a drink during the last session of the WC. I could have done with one and I was tempted, but it would have been a waste of drink.

Edit: You know what? I think I deserve one after putting up with that. I might just do it.

Amazed no one said that in studio. I suppose they want to focus on the "lovely arena" and "spectacle" instead?

I lost count how many frames Jones threw away. It must be close to ten frames. Was there 3/4 black ball games alone that he lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah and could have been a very different tournament if some of those very tight matches had gone the other way.

Awful shame Allen didn't make it through his one, this could have been his year.

Scrap the cap!

Kyren Wilson is the champion and no one can take that away from him but the standard of play in that final - my god!,but anyway move on good luck to Wilson and enjoy the win . Unlucky Jak Jones.It was certainly entertaining!!!

Allen must be sick. Easily the most consistent and best player all season. World number one spot not much consolation.

I watched Mark Allen all season and while he played very well mostly he was prone to some unbelievable bad streaks during matches.I think he's the provisional world no. 1 but he still a way away from being the best in the world that he seems to think he is?

• Advertisement

Just as Wilson will never get an easier World title, equally, Jones will never get a better opportunity to win the World Championship. I would be very surprised if he gets this far again. It was a once in a lifetime chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He was 0/15 at one stage. Potted about two in total

Jones's long potting improved somewhat at points, and it was sporadic throughout. It was non-existent in the first 2 sessions, improved massively(from a base of 0, which wasn't that hard) at the beginning of the 3rd session. It went up and down throughout after that.

If it had turned up in the first 2 sessions, who knows what might have happened. He improved himself, in my view with the long potting, from a complete catastrophe, to maybe 50/50.

I remember focusing on Jones, and yet when the stats came up on BBC last night, Wilson was at 0% for long potting.

No comments section on the BBC, I wonder why. Maybe because it would be full of people slating the standard of this year's Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not that she was unwilling to put the money into a new venue, they just don't have it. Basic health care for older people and chikd social care takes up more and more of council budgets. Nearly 70% of the budget on average. Not their fault at all.

The whole discussion is incredibly one sided. I listened to the snooker podcast with Dave Hendon discussing the topic as suggested by a poster.

It was fine. It was fine and pretty much as you observed with Davis. The argument for staying is nostalgia because its been there for so long and... that's it.

Hendon talked about TV rights and how things could change if they moved venue. The "change" was a self contained argument where change itself was bad and didn't need to be explained in terms of why it was bad. Change itself was bad.

He also never once considered how it could be improved. That doesn't even factor into the equation. The reality is change is necessary. It can be difficult and a bit sad sometimes, but if done well, it would be good for the sport.

I presume snooker tends to have an older, more conservative fan base. And this is being g played out in front if us. . Nostalgia=good. Change=bad

I don't know Allen seems to be hard to beat, given his new style change. Anyone who beats him has to earn the win.

• Advertisement

The point I made about Allen was that he keeps saying himself about how good he is and can be world champion. He’s 38 years old now-no spring chicken, He's been to the semis twice in the world championship in twenty years. Obviously not as good as thinks he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

I got tickets to the Crucible next year, because for me, personally, I would like to be there one more time in case before it moves (for nostalgia's sake).

While personally nostalgic, I can also see a change is needed. I've been to the Crucible before (2105), and it is without doubt too small. As you approach the Crucible, you notice immediately how the event has outgrown the building with broadcast vans, the Eurosport studios, etc all appended to the building, literally bursting out from its usual size. You see how the Winter Garden is a very real extension of the Theatre, despite being hundreds of metres away from it. All the stuff in the Winter Garden that should be in the venue.

I can only imagine that behind the scenes of the theatre there is not really the room for the media, the event organisers, even the players and officials - let alone sponsors and fans. Not to mention the small playing area, the limited hospitality, etc, etc.

What was adequate 50 years ago is no longer adequate now, and I think it would be a positive sign to move to a better venue (however nostalgically I might wish it not to be so). A 'bigger, better' Crucible is one option, though probably unrealistic for many reasons. Another Sheffield venue is probably not realistic either.

I would like to think there is an opportunity to build a state of the art 3,000 seat venue configurable for 1,2 and up to 8 tables, if not in Sheffield, then somewhere in the north of England. Maybe near an international airport, a venue that could host the WC, but also its qualifiers, and perhaps 1-2 other top tier tournaments each year, along with Womens, Juniors, Seniors events. On the same site could be a coaching academy, a social side (hospitality / bar, maybe playing tables), a museum of Snooker, etc. This could be a home, or a HQ of the world game.

This is probably unrealistic too - World Snooker clearly don't seem to have the funds, or the ambition, to build it, and an non Olympic Sport is unlikely to be Government funded.

Failing the above, I think McManus pointed out that the venue for the Tour championship (Manchester Central) seemed to tick a lot of boxes - location, access, size, modern facilities, etc. That could be new WC only home if they want to keep it in England.

Mainly, I hope all this chatter is designed by Hearn and co to either up the ante on Sheffield / UK Govt, and/or to distract from the talk of a rival tour - and that whatever happens WST know that the WC should stay in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Stephen Hendry interviewing John Virgo. Some of you don't like him commentating but for me always enjoy his commentary on matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I don't really mind any of them. Some are more critical than others. Saw a clip of Willie Thorne playing Hendry when WT died and it was interesting to see the commentators didn't criticise anything, no matter how bad. A safety shot hit the blue on the way to balk and they didn't mention it.

That was the etiquette at the time. Interesting to see how things have changed.

I thought Mark Allen was very good on commentary this year. Not sure I ever heard him defore

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't hear much Dominic Dale for Eurosport this year, but any time I did he was doing awful giving out, maybe being knocked out the way he did affected his mood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement