Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from immigration thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

All depends on what side of the point of view you have. Totally.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Far left this, far right that, maybe if we all stopped with the American style labelling of everything it would help. It's an Irish website for god sake. I hate how it has invaded every single debate on the website in the past few years.

Instead of making new rules just follow the current ones, attack the post not the poster and don't be a dick. If you don't like something someone said, report it and don't engage. Use a bit of bloody common sense!

If you find a particular topic is very emotive for you maybe take a step back and have a think about whether it's worth spending time on the internet arguing with someone who has a polar opposite view of the topic than you do, you are never going to change their mind so why waste energy on it?

If everyone was just a little bit more considerate and accepting that their own viewpoint wasn't the centre of the universe there'd be far less issues to be dealt with by the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Or polls saying three out of four think we've taken in too many refugees, are we all far right now, father?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your point ?

We have all had thread bans for our behaviour at times, I ain't complaing and I find it a bit pathetic that the same faces keep on crying about it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hello all. Once again we find ourselves involved in a HELP DESK thread where we see users dragging in other topics, issues and personal gripes and it has run its course. The feedback, suggestions and comments have been heard and taken on board. This will not be allowed to become a current affairs thread that descends into name calling and bickering.

I think that Necro has summed it up well in their last comment. The rules that currently govern the forums are there to help things run smoothly and ensure everyone is on the same page more or less, depending on how individuals interpret them and the moderators actions of course.

If there are any other constructive points to be made this thread will remain open. If not I will close it.

• Advertisement

What a few posters have been trying to do.

Probably no loss in closing it as IMHO I Don't think anything will be taken on board and it will just be the same as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was revealed in the latest Feedback thread that reporting a post counts as a discussion started by the user. If you click on their profile and they have a large number of discussions, but very few show, you can conclude that they either start a lot of threads in private groups (which are notoriously quiet), or they report a lot of posts.

I know the posters you referred to earlier - shoehorning stock phrases into every thread, snide comments designed to get a reaction so they can report another poster, ridiculous quirks in their posting style, and backslapping one another on threads. Everyone knows who they are and their previous usernames, but they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Everyday a school day. Wow and wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ryan of Enfield

Passions running high but I see the occasional poster just making the single argument, time after time, and that's everyone on the opposing side is scum or a scumbag. Just my two cents worth but I would have thought that should be easy to moderate, even more so if its obvious in advance who the culprits are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Thread has just become another thread to rant about other posters without restrictions. Like all these threads

• Advertisement

Any idea what it means if you click on a users profile and it says you don't have access to the discussions

Posts made in a Group (private forum on the old site) or reported posts.

You do not have any access to discussions on this page is All it says under the highlighted Discussions word of a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Another great example of such bias was Nazi comparisons. Which were common on any threads about the "far right" or Trump, and totally tolerated. Yet during covid, anti restriction people started making similar comparisons to the other side. Eventually Beasty banned such comparisons on those threads, as they were being aimed at the righteous.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

Yep, you need to have access to a private group to see any threads started there, or the mod forum where reported posts show.

There was a discussion about this in the Feedback thread and an Admin clarified that reporting a post starts a discussion, as threads are now called, and that shows on your profile in the number of discussions. It even lead one poster to rapidly edit a post.

I think serial reporting is a form of trolling and should be actioned, it's an incredibly underhanded way of ensuring your side of the argument dominates. Otherwise, it seems many people are too sensitive to leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The only thing that needs to be considered is applying the rules evenly at all times.

There is an untouchable class of posters on this site who are free to do as they like. Anyone else being a dick is already being dealt with, just round up the stragglers and nobody can complain.

Glazers Out!

Answers alot of what has been happening. IF ,Just say you had 100 hundred or so discussions and I could see them and i had maybe 62 discussions that are visible on my profile and i come across say ssomeone I can't access There discussions but they have say 500 discussions in total this could be serial reporting.

Yes, the private groups are very quiet so it's most likely that most of the discussions you can't access are reported posts.

The Mods obviously can't clarify, but unless anyone is spuriously reporting posts they shouldn't have a problem with their tally being known. I'd be happy for a Mod or Admin to list how many I've reported and how many were deemed actionable.

Thanks leg End, Absolutely can't thank you enough for the input. I clicked on the profile of a poster that alot of posters had suspicions about and seemed to get a wide Berth from the moderators. Itcertainly seems to all add up now. Can't thank you enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Some people have their profiles set to private also,

Yeah but it still shows the total of how many discussions. Very interesting counts for some

No longer possible on Vanilla because Mods can't view a private profile, all are open by default now.

Hopefully Mike doesn't close this thread yet. After what leg End has stated it could be possible that a few posters sole aim was to serial report other posters to have them removed or banned so it became a one sided discussion. Also surely the moderators should of been suspicious and copped on what was happening. Let's hope that the thread is kept open to clear this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

I would echo nullzero’s sentiments here, there is one particular poster who is based in the US (apparently) and who seems to have a fetish for starting threads on an Irish forum to rant at right wing politics in the USA. The same poster seems to get away with personally attacking posters who disagree with their opinion without sanction.

If the moderators are not exercising some degree of impartiality in applying sanctions, then people will just go elsewhere and the website will die a slow death.(I suspect it already is)

It’s a pity,because it used to be a great site.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The frequency with which any one individual poster makes use of the report system is a bit of a red herring. Something being reported does not lead to mod action, particularly in CA.

Someone reporting a lot of posts for weak reasons does nothing except annoy the mods.

Reported posts are reviewed and not actioned all the time, particularly in CA. I have no stats, but I would guess that a lot more posts are deemed not worthy of action than posts were action is taken.

Thanks for the reply. Why would someone want to report non stop, what do you think they were trying to do. Surely it would flag something was seriously fishy about maybe hundreds of reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Yeah, But you're not one of these vexatious bad faith posters who are being complained of here.

Locks only keep out honest people.

There's about 8 or 10 of these individuals who are wrecking CA in particular.

I'd bet they wouldn't be happy to see their report stats being visible.

This will just go round and round with the mods insisting there's nothing to see here, until the makeup of the mod team becomes more balanced. It's like the reverse of the US Supreme Court.

This carry on of "we have investigated ourselves and found ourselves to be correct" is also problematic.

When every mod and most of the Admins are of the same worldview as the problem posters, then they get to have total home rule.

This attitude of 'the beatings will continue until morale improves' won't and can't work.

Action those 8 or 10 posters properly and balance the mod team.

It's really that simple.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I don't think anyone thinks that every reported posts is automatically sanctioned, but a serial reporter isn't just annoying mods, they are using the report function to try to silence opposing views.

It's a form of trolling and should be actioned. It would do no harm to post an on thread warning using the @ function and tell the repeat offenders to stop or they'll be thread banned. I've seen it done in some forums and it stops a lot of nonsense.

And, I'll repeat, anyone who is genuine about reporting should have no problem with others knowing they've reported posts.

• Advertisement

I'd bet they wouldn't be happy to see their report stats being visible.

I agree, that's why I think they should be called out. It's insidious and petty behaviour designed to annoy and shut down others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement