Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone gone E-Class to M3?

• 07-05-2024 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Anyone else swapped their eclass for a M3? Any regrets?

I really like my W213 2017 eclass and it's low enough mileage (73k km). 2 litre diesel, 9 speed auto. It's is a bit of an old-man-mobile but it's quiet, comfortable and economical for an ICE car. Its a lovely car to be in and to drive. I bought it when I thought I'd have to commute (Wexford to Dublin 150km each way approx) a lot more than I do. It's the perfect car for shuttling up and down the motorway but I only have to do that once or twice a month. The rest of the time it's on shorter runs (but long enough to get up to temp).

Thinking of trading it in for a used M3 LR. Then the wife would use it for her shorter commute (60km per day) and her car (2014 Panda - she loves it and won't get rid of it! And we Defo need 2 cars) would do a lot less mileage, just local runs really.

Looking at 2020 or 2021 M3 LR. Anything in particular I should look out for or spec that is a must have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If it's the move to EV you're asking about, I went Audi A6 to cupra Born, so not a dissimilar situation to you, moving from a 900km range diesel premium comfortable motorway cruiser of a saloon to a much less premium EV.

I miss the interior comfort of the Audi and the lack of physical buttons in the cupra.

Would I go back? No. I love the EV, it has enough range for me apart from the odd time and I will be staying EV forever hopefully but did miss the premium feel and look so I took the opportunity to buy an Audi Etron when it presented itself.

Model 3 interior is very poor in my opinion about the worst interior out there so it will be a huge downgrade from E class but the software is apparently the best around, I've only ever driven a Tesla a couple of times but not long enough to get to grips with the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I get 1200-1300km from a tank on the e-class! Yeah, I've been an M3 a few times and didn't think the interior was awful - basic but fine. Interested in hearing about longer trips in the M3 too (comfort, wind-noise, tyre noise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I had a W211 (E200K), but a good 6 years before getting the Model 3. I really liked the cars and found it very comfortable. I had purchased a W210 because I needed a comfortable auto-box due to a back injury. I quickly upgraded to the W211 and kept it for a few months before eventually getting our first EV (24kWh Leaf). What I really like about the W211 was the sense of luxury and the very, very comfortable seats and driving position, combined with the space of the car. There was some nice power, but it did lag compared to other cars I had driven before it.

Going to the Model 3, I would say the seats are far more supportive. Like comparing a quality orthopedic chair to an old medium density leather chair of the W211. It certainly makes a difference to my comfort on short and long journeys. Any other car, I am getting sore within 20 minutes of driving, including the W211. The M3 is so empty compared to the E-Class and although I can't comment on the W213, the W211 just felt much more luxurious to be in, but that's not to say I prefer it. The M3 feels cleaner and of course, there is no clutter. I like this. The drive is infinitely more responsive and more fun. The warning beeps are annoying, but you get used to them. Happy enough with the RWD version which gives me everything I need. If you are just using it for short commutes, there is little need to pay for the LR version. For the same money, you could pick up a newer 2022 Made in China RWD which likes to be fully charged, rather than charged to 80%. It is better built and has a few upgrades from the older version.

Your Wife won't want to drive the Panda after using the Model 3 😉

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭User1998

I went from a C Class to a Model 3. I’d be fairly confident in saying the Model 3 is better in every way, and just as comfortable inside.

Obviously the E Class is a step up in comfort from the C Class, but my mate has an E Class which I’m a passenger in regularly and I’d still pick the Model 3, even though the E Class is that bit more luxurious inside.

To say the Tesla has one of the worst interiors is a bit mad in my opinion. I guess the minimalist design is a personal preference.

In terms of spec, Tesla don’t really do different specs. Its just battery size, interior/exterior colour, wheels, autopilot.

Cheers for this. Good to hear about the seats - I do like the W213 leather armchair though! Yeah, the LR is more insurance against winter range anxiety. I'll look at some 2022s though.

My missus prefers the Panda to the e-class so I'm not betting that she'll prefer the M3. It's a cool little car really - 900cc 4x4 version with heated seats, heated windscreen and it can be parked on a postage stamp. I'd get in that in a snowstorm before I'd get in the RWD merc!

• Advertisement

Thanks - I think range and autopilot are the only two I care about. Any colour or wheels would be fine. Is the enhanced autopilot worth getting over the standard autopilot? Assume FSD is still too beta to bother with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t have advanced auto pilot personally but from what I’ve read it seems like a waste of money in Europe. The standard autopilot is basically a step up from adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist that you might find in other cars. Its quite good for long journeys.

Anyway you can purchase autopilot at any stage. You don’t need to specifically look for one that already has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The range difference won't even be noticeable between the older LR and newer RWD. The newer model has the heat pump, so is more efficient. I haven't had any range anxiety in the 1.5 years of being in the M3, but then I have experience of being a Leaf owner 😂.

As an aside, I'll be driving to Germany and back in July and can't say I am worried about range. Plenty of reliable charging along the way.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Core6

We moved from having a C Class and an E Class Merc to the Model 3. We kept the E Class as it is an estate and the space in the rear is cavernous. Both the Mercs are 2011 models so an W212 E Class (actually it is an S212 as the estates are designated 'S').

To compare the E Class to the M3 — driving the M3 is a more sporty feel with a firm ride and responsive steering and much more power. The power is instant too. The E Clas is more comfortable but doesn't have the same responsive handling.

Passenger space isn't much different between the E Class and the M3 although the external dimensions of the M3 are smaller. Probably the rear passenger space is a bit tighter in the M3 but not dramatically so.

The doors on the E Class feel more solid and close with a satisfying thunk. The doors on the M3, with frameless windows, don't have the same feel.

The boot in the M3 is surprisingly big and with fold down seats larger items can easily fit in.

The windscreen in the M3 is much bigger and the bonnet is shorter and lower so the visibility is far better.

My Mercs just had parking sensors and the M3 has cameras (and sensors — it is a 2022 model). The cameras are great.

One pedal driving is great too — very easy to get used to and makes driving much easier.

No servicing schedule is a unique positive of Teslas. All others have a service schedule which is linked to the warranty.

With all of the above, the biggest single benefit (and this isn't an M3 specific item) is the difference in running costs. I can get 350 - 400 kms for just over €5!! That is charging at home using EV rates. Others on here can charge for 'free' using solar energy.

We wouldn't go back to an ICE car and are probably going to sell the E Class to get another EV.

Thanks - yes the economics of it are a big consideration. Cost to change could be covered by 3 or 4 years of fuel savings. My e-class has self-parking but it's just a party piece really, I don't use it. It's impressive though.

• Advertisement

Been onto a few dealers about used Tesla's for the past few days. Prices in the market for used Tesla's are nuts generally - little to no value out there. Reckon I'll be selling the eclass and buying a brand new Model 3 SR

I picked the M3 up on Monday. After a few hundred kms I don't miss the e-class! It's quieter than I expected and the standard autopilot is way better than expected - it does a fair percentage of a late-night Dublin-Wexford spin.

Post edited by dmigsy on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wolftown

I'm very interested in this as thinking of making the same change (albeit from a W211). Would love your input on a few of the concerns I have:

Motorway road noise

Lack of buttons

Real life range at motorway speeds of 120-140 km/h

The range isn't a big concern as I rarely do long trips, but I'm regularly on the dual carriageway and motorway and would like to know what realistic consumption would be so as avoid disappointment.

Any info appreciated.

Beautiful car by the way!

Motorway road noise - I'd say it's similar to the e-Class. I'd need to drive them back to back to determine which is quieter.

Lack of buttons - used to it after a week. Not an issue at all.

Real-life range at motorway speeds of 120-140 km/h. I've only done motorway @ 120km/h. Spin from Sandyford to where I am in Wexford (~150km, 80% motorway, 20% N road @ 100km/h) and used 35% battery. So ~420ish range at those speeds in summer. I wanted to be able to get to Dublin and back without needing a charge so I'm comfortably able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wolftown

Perfect, appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I moved from driving Golf GTIs and BMW 3 series for twenty years into a new M3 eight weeks ago. I had never owned an EV or automatic car before. I'm now in my mid-50s to give you some context.

The lack of buttons is becoming less of an annoyance as I get used to the Tesla. I would prefer, if I'm being honest, to have physical buttons for the heating especially the windscreen and rear window heaters that are still awkward (for me). Those buttons should be almost instinctive to hit (and available in one click or press as opposed to a menu) as they are important when driving.

The indicator buttons are simply not an issue for me and neither are the wipers/lights.

I love automatic driving (I'll never go manual for a daily driver again). I absolutely love the one pedal driving - it's brilliant! I like the screen, the cameras and the phone charger. The lights are excellent and the view to the road is also excellent. Ride is good and the power is impressive and instant.

It is quiet inside and the radio/Spotify is also a good standard as is bluetooth.

I like the fact that I can warm/cool the car from my sitting room or work before I use it.

The interior is no match in quality to the BMW (although I see several complaints that BMW have dropped their standards in this regard also). I've already ordered better car mats (the ones in the car are flimsy and poor).

Although the ride quality and power is good, there isn't quite the same "driver experience" with an EV. It's more of a press pedal, point and drive. With the BMW and, especially the GTI, it was fun driving them but I'm older now so it's not really an issue.

Would I go back? It's too early to say but I doubt it. EVs are the way forward; the economy is great and range anxiety is not an issue for me. I have a good drive down the country coming up that will require at least one stop for a charge so we'll see how that goes!

Advertisement