Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

The strongest team U-15 was Dicksboro as they won the Co Final. The Comer players might be good enough for the panel but not on the starting 15 after watching the last 2 games. There are a few other players not good enough either but are starting these games. Management do not know their players and playing young Clifford half back showed that. He is a very good forward. There needs to be wholesale changes to the team after the last 2 displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sir Chaz

You can certainly argue re the rights and wrongs of team selection, and justifiably so, but on balance I think they have the correct panel.
    I don't the team is as good as they looked against Galway, or as bad as they looked yesterday. I'd nearly have stuck with the team that started against Wexford and given them the opportunity to right the wrongs of that game, seemed maybe a little bit of panic in yesterday's selection. Clifford wing back was an odd one alright.

Assuming they beat Kildare, the Galway game will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Leinster has being blown open with wexfords result Saturday and they were full value. Its a wonder how they only give that performance when their backs are to the wall. They would of beaten a few teams last Saturday.It will be intresting to see who we put on chin he is playing the hurling of his life.

I said it last week i wasnt impressed with galway. If they couldnt have fire in their bellys last week against kk missing 4 or 5 players after the heartache of last years leinster final and previous years defeat the writing was on the wall. Cathal mannion was obviously a huge loss but the performance was very poor but credit must go to the yellow bellies. Hard to believe only 6 thousand showed up for a do or die match i thought wexford would bring more than that.

Galway have antrim away and dublin at home who they have struggled with and dublin have 3 lads involved who won the all ireland with them. It wouldnt be the biggest shock in the world if galway didnt qualify but you would expect them to qualify. If galway win their 2 matches and we win ours its a kk v galway but theres a few teams who will fancy their chances now.

Carlow have being very competitive and had galway back to 4 points half way thru the 2nd half.They conceded a controversial goal that put distance between themselves and dublin. Kk teams wont be allowed train obviously in nowlan park this week which isnt ideal. Lets hope the pitch is back to normal for the wexford match. Anything other than a comfortable enough win would be a suprise and like all of the time they will take a professional approach. I hope tallis gets another run in goals.jordon molloy deserves a start. Wally will be soon back from injury and can make a difference when he comes on. Billy drennan has gone well down the pecking order going by the galway match. Id like to see a few changes this weekend but id expect derek to be cagey enough.

We must remember these are 16 and 17 year olds but Its hard to believe the minors have gone back so much in a few weeks. Saturdays performance was dreadful. 15 wides is a killer but the workrate and movement from the first day and the late push against wexford was no where to seen. Surely to god there will be changes this weekend. Im not going to slate any manager its not simple but going foward the right men need to put in charge of underage teams. If that means looking after them so be it. Our underage record is dreadful and we arent able to get over the line in senior. Lads like tom mullally would be a big addition to underage. Eddie brennan done a good job with laois. Thinking outside the box could we get a football coach involved in a set up. Theres a good few teams doing it now. It worked well before for us. Theres definitely much more work going on underage and teams should be better prepared but this has to be followed up along with good management and backroom teams. All the work we are doing at underage is years behind other counties who have being doing this a long time. It beggars believe how we sat on our hands when the underage is so poor. Hopefully our u20 team can bring a bit of silverware to the county but it will be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

We're as frustrated as anyone that we need our backs to the wall to deliver a performance, Liam Ryan back fit was massive, his presence alone seemed to make the defenders around him feel at ease, Damien Reck and Rory O'Connor were very poor by there good standards in Belfast but were excellent Saturday, last 2 weeks really showed the value of attitude and application, ours was very poor and we paid the price in Belfast, Galway's was really bad on Saturday and they were actually flattered by the 8 point margin, attendance was very poor but the Antrim result kept the casual fan anyway, Galway brought very little of a following and another factor I know from experience myself Saturday afternoon games in May can clash with communions and confirmations. Also I know personally a few regular match go'ers who were at the rugby in Croke Park. Funny thing is the atmosphere was brilliant with our season on the line those who were there really rowed in behind the team. Apologies just finishing up well aware this is a Kilkenny thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

No need to apologise, it is good to hear from sensible posters from other counties and you are the best poster on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Fair play to Tom Dempsey speaking out against RTE and GAA Go. Cork and Limerick which potentially could be the game of the year behind a paywall again and not accessible to thousand's of kids. What a setting in Cork Saturday evening, 40,000, knock out game for Cork, the colour, the atmosphere, the players on view and the drama it will provide is unrivalled and the GAA and RTE put it on the internet where most of the country and kids will not have access. Absolutely disgraceful carry on. These are the games which drive these kids to dream about playing and being the next Lee Chin, Shane O'Donnell, TJ Reid etc. RTE and GAA are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

If comer were the best u15 team last year how come Dicksboro and Dunnamaggin contested the county final at u15 A ?

Re Minor then the A league and county finals were the village and Dunnamaggin in both. So by the looks of that the comer bias certainly isn't based on, on the field results.

Again shur its grand Comer get half their team selected but thats down to selectors.l and management. However, results do not back this up at all.

Regarding players playing out of position, young Clifford is a brilliant forward but in fairness to him be played well last weekend at 5. With lads out Injured sometimes you have to shuffle the pack. I support the team and they are definitely better than the last performance. To take Mullen off the frees was silly as he's our best forward and confidence went after that.

Without being critical changes should have been made quicker at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Davey buggy I think, to be fair 4 players ain't half a team and the 4 playing all got scores (7 out of 12) and Josh Dowling was probably in the subs in case Dollard had problems because they had no replacement against wexford. If posters don't like a certain club or selector etc. don't have a pop at a few young lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I don’t think Davy Buggy is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Anyone know off-hand what's the story with the Kilkenny Hurling Podcast with Eddie Scally and Robbie Dowling? Last one was April 15th, nothing since. It was weekly up to that point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Hasn't been involved since before Christmas. Danesfort, Loughlins, Shamrocks and Ballycallan the clubs the management are from so I don't see any club bias involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Dunnamaggin have some fine players but I do think they benefited from being the right (easier) side of the championship draw in both minor and u15 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think there is a decent chance that 3 teams will finish level on points in Leinster. I am assuming that neither Antrim or Carlow do not create another shock.

Scenario 1. KK beat Dublin but lose to Wx. Galway beat Dublin. Galway, Wx and Kilkenny all on 7 points. Wx qualify for Final. KK too as long as they do not lose to Wx by 7 points or less.

Scenario 2. KK lose to Dublin but beat Wx. Dub lose to Galway. KK, Galway and Dub all on 7 points. Galway and Dublin qualify for final

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sir Chaz

yes the 15 championship draw was completely lopsided, 5 best teams were other side of the draw. Made the final a bit of a non event. That narrative re Dunnamaggin doesn't add up, more a circumstance of draws and maybe some of their better players being overage. There's possibly one hard luck story there but even that is arguable, and likely extended panel member at best. Hopefully minors can get their act together for Saturday and start afresh v Galway then in the semi.

To me what's happened is the total championship games has increased with the groups of 4 being introduced in football but the number of games being televised hasn't increased in line with this, i don't know if RTE or GAA is responsible for that, RTE have rights to 31 games and it's in the contract that they have to cover every provincial final in both codes.

It looks really bad that RTE owns 50% of GAAGO and the head of sport in RTE is on the GAAGO board of directors, as Eddie Brennan said last week feels like some people have 2 horses backed in the same race. GAAGO's rights are the rights Sky did have, looks very bad that GAAGO had 5 Munster championship games last year, 4 this year but Sky only had 1 in their last championship in 2022. As I said in another thread the reasons RTE have made the front pages over the last year wouldn't exactly make you trust them as an entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

It would be the GAA to blame for the number of matches shown as they didn't increase the number of rights packages that they issue when the number of matches increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

Trust and Rte are 2 words that should never be used I the same sentence

Your probably right but I wonder when Sky pulled out was that the prefect time for RTE to renegotiate for more games?

Amongst others is the hurling quarter finals moved to Saturday to accommodate the 2nd tier football competition that frankly nobody cares about. At least the Joe Mcdonagh offers promotion as a reward hence a more important competition imo. It is a number of factors that make my blood boil. Where was the Saturday night highlights that RTE served up last year. Saturdays game deserved that . I just cannot understand how Cork v Limerick is not on RTE Saturday. It is a shame for the youngsters that we are looking to be stars of the future.

Nobody seemed to care when it was all announced months ago. Get a juicy fixture and all hell breaks out. Too late in the day at this stage. Everybody knew the GAAGO schedule.

I have a yearly membership for GAA Go myself. GAA Go is not the issue, I have highlighted this issue on numerous occasions. The kids who are competing in numerous sports need to see matches like last Saturday in Walsh Park and this Saturday in Cork, these are the games that win their hearts and attention.

Oh yeah I knew this would happen, from a purely selfish point of view it's fine for myself I've the yearly subscription and can cast games to TV but it's the principles of it. The RTE link is a massive red flag given everything that has been in the news over the last year, if Sky still had the rights not a hope they'd get the volume of Munster championship games GAAGO has got, also it's difficult to use for people less tech savvy not blowing smoke up my own backside but I've a dad who is 80 and he wouldn't see a single game covered on GAAGO only for me. Also must be remembered wifi is brutal in alot of the country, real eye opener for me was being on holidays in Killarney for few days last year, trying to use any streaming platform was a disaster. I would finally add the actual coverage on it is really good, good presenter, pundits etc. but the other things would make you skeptical.

I'm not having a pop at young lads. 5 Comer lads were listed on the panel at the start of the year. That's my point, in relation to another poster saying they were the best U15 team last year. I didn't name anyone or have a pop at anyone.

My opinion is that whilst it's great to have that many from one club involved, the beaten County finalists have 0 from U15 and Minor. Something is wrong somewhere when a team that's beat another team or reached 3 finals cant get a player selected but yet certain clubs that didn't reach any final or lost to said club get 5.

That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Don't misquote me as having a go at young lads though.

In Minor throughout league and championship they beat O Loughlins, Dicksboro and Comer.

Not sure about U15 but only the Boro beat them

The easier side of the draw in Roinn A in Kilkenny, will ya jog on!

U15 A County Final, Minor A League Final, Minor A County Final.....so from what ive read on this thread they've got there by having an easier side of the draw, having one good player, blah blah blah. They got there on merit and because they beat the rest of the teams apart from the Boro and the village in the different age groups.

But yet not one player is worthy of a spot on a minor panel of how many including extended panel?

• Advertisement

I don't know to be honest

Advertisement