Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody flown to Alghero from Cork? How is it? Any tips / things to do and see?

Options
  • 29-04-2024 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I recently discovered that Sardinia exists. Totally forgot about it. Turns out there's a flight direct from Cork to a city called Alghero.

Anybody here been? How is it? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Only problem is that the flight home is quite late at 8pm ish. So will have to wander around the city for hours after checking out at 10am.

For folks who went there, what did ye do while waiting for the flight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We rented a car so just dropped it back in time for the flight.

It's a nice place. More expensive than the usual holiday spots. I went in August and it was way too packed. Had to book restaurants ahead of time, book sun loungers on beach a few days in advance etc. I like a more casual - walk up to a restaurant and see what looks good approach. A friend of mine went in June and said it was way quieter then. I wouldn't recommend going in August after our experience.

It's a nice island, Alghero is fine but if you can I would recommend getting out and seeing other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m going tomorrow lol - we picked it cos you can fly from Cork but it looks like a lovely place anyway! Will let ye know how I get on it I think of it! Flight out is at bloody 5:45am though

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

We were on the same flight :)

Jesus that 5.45am flight was an absolute dose. I was so wrecked. Luckily we were able to check in to the airbnb early at 11am.

And then the super late flight on Sunday at 9pm.

We checked out at 10am on Sunday and got bored dragging the bags around so got another hotel room for 58 yoyos and used that as a base to chill out and store the bags.

However there is a 24hr baggage storage locker available close to the old town, near the park. It's an automated system with a touch screen.

Weather was a bit **** for a couple of days, but we got a few good days. Friday, Saturday and Sunday was great.

It's a nice relaxed town. Nice beaches easily accessible by public transport. Absolutely delicious pizzas. Yummy gelato. Food and pints were more expensive than I expected, but that's because we were mostly in the touristy areas. I'm sure there are cheaper hidden gems somewhere.

Drink is super cheap in the shops though. Bottles of wine for 1 or 2 euro.

It was a bit quiet, I think I'd go towards the end of May next time, or early June. None of the beaches had the umbrellas out so got blasted by the sun. And some nice beach bars and restaurants I had marked on Google maps beforehand weren't open yet.

Overall, would return! And maybe rent a car.

How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hahaha that's gas 😀

I really enjoyed it - it was very relaxed and weather was lovely for the most part - the first 2 days a bit showery but was still mild.

We booked an apartment on booking.com and it was lovely - so spacious. We had to check out at 10am on the Sunday but the lady allowed us to leave our bags on the terrace on the roof which was really handy cos otherwise we would have been wrecked hauling the bags around all day.

Food was so nice and I had the nicest pizza ever in one restaurant - went back on the last day and had pasta and it was gorgeous too. Had dinner in a place called Al Vecchio Mulino and it was sooo good too.

Went to the caves one day - pretty nice but the boat trip was a bit long and took ages to get docked and was very rocky getting off! The caves are pretty impressive but we weren't in there very long and it was 14e on top of the boat trip which was 17e.

Lovely ice-cream place at one end of Via Gilbert Ferret!

I actually liked it quiet - apparently it's really busy and uncomfortable (as well as roasting) in the summer months. Overall, I really enjoyed it and would go back also but the flight times are crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

You need to rent a car in Sardinia public transport absolutely sucks .All the best places you need to drive ,its a small island -beware though the roads are sh1te and the locals drive like maniacs .

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

A few years ago, I camped there.We flew to Alghero, then public transport all around the island and took ferry to Corsica. Both islands were beautiful with very different landscapes.

Would definitely consider another visit. The tourists were mainly Italians from the mainland.

Advertisement