Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from immigration thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

I'm the thread OP. The discussion is unnecessarily being dragged down a us v them path.

Can you just ask your moderators to moderate fairly. If an anecdote is posted by anyone no matter their political belief it's a thread ban or it's not. It's very frustrating i was personally banned from a thread i have an interest in for posting a personal anecdote and others have not for exactly the same thing.

This isn't rocket science here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Agreed. The total number of reports you make should be visible on your profile. It would certainly stop certain posters trying to destroy discussions and would certainly ease the pressure on moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Way to much double standards on this forum the past few years, thread after thread on here highlighting it, and nothing done, It needs to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Focussing on constructive feedback. It would be nice to see blatant insults and name calling consistently dealt with. I understand that post reviews are most likely prioritised by report numbers, but there have been multiple incidents where I have had to report obvious insults and bad faith insinuations multiple times.

These types of posts should absolutely be removed because they set the tone in a thread and will encourage others to post the same way. I don’t even mean the meaningless left wing/ right wing labels but obvious insults.

Definitely I would have no problem with anyone reporting something they genuinely thought was in bad taste or aggressive etc. But if a poster reported let's say nearly 8,9 or10 posts every week for a year ,how would you see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Are you sure on this? I've only started four or five threads of my own, yet my "discussions" says 112!

I'm not a member of any private groups. I have reported posts occasionally, but not that many!

I always thought it was the number of discussions you've taken part in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I agree, and it's obvious from posters that post abuse towards you regularly, just because you might have a different point of view from them. If they are left on thread, it makes other posters think it's ok to pile on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Could the balance be reported posts?

When you report a post it starts a discussion in the relevant mod forum. That adds to your total but normal posters, including yourself, can't access it.

It was explained by an admin in the recent Feedback thread.

ETA: if you post on a discussion started by someone else that's included in your comments total.

I'd be shocked if I reported that many. It takes a lot for me to report now, as it doesn't seem to do anything.

But I guess its possible from the early days of the EB thread, when the trolls were rampant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

This explains a lot. I often wondered how so many posters with similar views on certain threads all get banned.

This makes it clear that some threads have resident complainers who try their best to close down debate by having opposing views banned.

Just today, for instance, I came upon a Hasbara website called gnasherjew.com which states on its homepage :

As a digital investigation team, we leverage open-source intelligence
    and cutting-edge technology to expose and hold antisemites accountable.
    With no political affiliations, GnasherJew is committed to the
    unvarnished truth.

I wonder if they are active on this forum?

• Advertisement

I've just checked mine - 104 discussions, 15 are visible to me, 1 in a private group and 14 on a public forum.

So I've obviously reported 89 posts in nearly 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've got 507 discussions on my profile and I never really start threads so since joining in May 2009 I've averaged 33 or so reported posts per year.

I checked one other users profile and they've almost matched my 15 years of reporting posts in the space of 12 months of membership.

Some users are definitely using the report post function in a tactical manner.

I agree with you on this matter, and I think it’s a bit ridiculous to report posts because you just don’t like the poster or because you feel offended by a different opinion.

That’s it exactly and it turns into a pile on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m aware that “thanks intimidation” was a bit of a thing but are people now trying to intimidate users out of reporting posts?

The mods, and admins, have asked, repeatedly, for users to help them out by reporting posts as there is too much “content” for them to moderate alone.

Personally, I think the first thing that should be tried is users posting within the rules. If they could manage that we wouldn’t see so many of these “types” of threads every few weeks, at this stage.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Rules don’t work if they are not applied consistently to everyone. It’s the lack of consistency that are the problem.

Fess up - who else is enjoying snooping on profiles? 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Reported posts are only acted upon if a mod deems it appropriate to do so. If it is acted upon thats on the person who posted it, not on whoever reported it. Blaming the reporter doesn’t make sense.

°°°°°

You believe people talking about the report function being spammed is equal to intimidation?

Earlier you were banging on about the compassion of the left wing posters here, having experienced the pile ons and abuse of lefties on boards I can atest to the fact that such a statement is pure nonsense.

Some achievement to jump the shark twice in one day.

It's telling how the usual suspects who circumvent the rules are on this thread trying to misrepresent and carry out character assassinations of any dissenting voices.

But if I report posts like it's an Olympic sport and very few are actually actionable that's on me and I should be warned/banned for trolling.

It works both ways, that's the point that's being made.

°°°°°

Nobody is talking about blaming people for reporting posts, we're merely observing the rate at which certain people use the report function.

I've reported posts where I was fault out abused by people and no action has been taken, the mods obviously don't take a dim view of abuse if it's carried out against someone with the wrong opinions. Hence the calls for an equal application of rules across the board. I don't think I should get away with being a dick but it's galling to see others do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would it be better then to report the post / poster on the thread tagging the mods

FWIW, I report the post, not the poster.

I don't have the power to decide if another poster is warned or threadbanned. That is down to the mods.

But if I see something that imo warrants a report, (e.g. transphobic) then I make no apology for reporting it.

I will add, that I've let openly aggressive and uncivil posts towards me go in the past without reporting them, only to have reports made against me, and I've ended up with the sanction despite provocation, so it goes both ways. You get no thanks for not reporting if someone is being a dick.

I said it on the other feedback thread, my main issue with moderation is that it is inconsistently applied, and context is not taken into consideration.

Pity I'm banned from C/A, I'm thinking that there be some reporting statistics by some on there. I snooped on one in this thread and I wasn't disappointed. Why would someone stay in a forum that makes you so uneasy your reporting non stop. I wonder.

I'd love to see that trialled for a month, especially to see the reasons people report posts. The problem is that it would lead to petty squabbles and vendettas.

If someone is petty enough to serially report posts they'll get the hump if one of their own is reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Well you are blaming people for “using the report post function in a tactical manner”. It is not a tactic that would work for the reason I gave, so it’s not something I would be overly.concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can report all you like but if the post hasn't broken the rules nothing will happen.

Mighty big persecution complex going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel I am in a game of werewolf here now 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You can be reported 50 times a day, but if you haven't broken any rules, then it doesn't matter, it won't be actioned.

No persecution complex just fairness and level playing field wanted. I can give as good as I get but some it seems can give it but can't take it .

By the way this is no way aimed at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Mods favs aren't being sanctioned like others, that's the problem here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement