Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

United showing tonight what they have threatened all season, the quality and potential that is there in the squad when they play together as a team.

Maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

10 points from 27 since this was posted, still have to play Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton away.

I was'nt far off.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Definitely feels like everyone has downed tools since the partial takeover was announced.

The effect on the team was never even considered by the Glazers.

Great fun for rival fans but this crisis club Manchester United thing had gone on long enough before Ineos arrived this is just a continuation. Ten Hag must have known he was fvcked once the new arrivals started happening at the top level. You can't be preparing for future success and be planning to keep a manager who can't get the basics right.

I'm fully expecting United to finish in the bottom half of the table at this stage, this is the worst we've been post Ferguson, and we've had some abysmal lows in that time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That Adam Wharton has put in a few very good performances lately when I've watched Palace on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Palace have been excellent, the scoreline flatters Utd.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That effort off the post a few minutes ago was a beaut as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City players must be licking their lips watching that. A pure shambles of a team performance by United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Game week 36 table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wonder if Van Tall Cemetery still reckons he should get another season? The level of delusion from Utd fans for this fellah was wild altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've only seen the goals but Man U players didn't look bothered for any one the goals. Palace players had lots of space and any United players who did move did so at a snail's pace while Onana was flapping at anything that came near him. Sad to see.

On that viewing, I can't see why they'd even give ETH the cup final. You really wonder who can come in and sort out the mess at OT. I'd see the likes of Tuchel and Conte being too demanding and impatient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Munich apparently sniffing round ETH if/when he gets the sack. The man must have a great agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is there a post somewhere that explains this table? I can't make any sense of it.

Each team is next to the number of their currant points. In brackets after each is their potential max points total, and their goal difference.

Great table, fierce handy to see after each round of games.

Well he’s not getting it! But you’re going down with the ship I see, salute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The poor man has been up since 6:30. Or maybe just went to bed there after re-watching that game a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's a few.

1 - up until now ETH had been working with the absolute shambles of a football structure the Glaziers had installed at the club. People in positions that had no business being in those roles and that was reflected in the performances on and off the pitch.
    We have been going into summer transfer windows with a "we'll wait and see what comes up" approach that has seen us flither money away like there is no tomorrow.

Other teams have identified their summer targets and have backup plans if they can't get their main target to be able to move to another player with a similar profile to get that squad position filled and thus creating a stronger team overall. And a cohesive team that complements each other player profile.

Until that part is sorted. It won't matter what man is in the dugout - he is on a hiding to nothing.

ETH had this structure at Ajax and it worked but we signed him and didn't offer this structure and then expected something different

2 - the options being mentioned to replace ETH make little to no sense if we are looking to build something longer-term. Southgate, Potter, Tuchel so on… None of them in any shape look like the correct man for the job. We would be resetting the clock for the sake of it and then back at a similar place again in 18 months time.

The manager market looks very poor at the moment. There isn't a man sitting there I would be screaming yes he is the one to lead the change.

3- The main issue at the club is (and has been for years before ETH) the playing staff. We reward bang average with bumper new deals. We have a squad that was built on the ideas of 3 different managers who share very little in common philosophy wise. We have a mismatch of players who can't play together because their profiles suit different setups.
    The best example of this in the squad is our 1st choice CB vs our 2nd choice CB. Martinez vs Maguire.
    One is small so less effective in the air but excellent on the ball. Press resistant. Allows the team to sit further up the pitch and compress the space between midfield and defence.
    The other is good in the air but slow. Not press resistant, drops the defensive line as he cannot cover the space in behind and helps create a lot of space between midfield and defence.

The team falls apart once there are a few injuries or players out of form as we have nothing close to the level of squad overall needed.
    We seen last year ETH played a lot of the same players each week and the team done well for a period of time. Tailed off at the end of the season but there were signs there with the correct personnel that he could build something. Top 4 and a cup coming off the back of our worst every PL points tally is progress.

We got to the summer and once again had no actual plan. Signed some lads who we could. Ran into an injury crisis and the team fell apart.

It could be prime Fergie in the dugout - that squad of players aren't getting the club back to the top.

The only players in the squad we have to keep are Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo, Martinez and maybe Onana (but I would want him replaced eventually). Everyone else needs an upgrade or to be replaced now. That isn't going to happen overnight.

Now on ETH - he has made mistakes, massive mistakes. He could have changed things tactically more to grind out results perhaps to get over the line more this season. His record in the transfer market is shaky at best.

BUT, He needs support that he would get at every other top club in Europe. Utd need to come into the modern era. Once we have that side sorted we can start to judge the manager.

I don't know if ETH will turn it around or if he is the right man long-term. But I do feel we seen enough last season when he had the player profiles on the pitch that we can build something with the correct support around him.

Edit -
    What I do know for certain is hitting reset every 18-24 months on the manager and allowing the players a "fresh slate" again under a new setup 100% does not work.
    It resets the clock and fails to ignore the root cause of the issue so we are destined to once again end up back here.

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been saying this all along, I'm in total agreement with you. Unfortunately I don't expect ETH to survive because somebody has to take the blame and that's almost always the manager.

I do think it'd be smart to give him another season under the new regime and see how it goes.

On the transfers since he went there. I think everybody would have agreed before they played that Anthony and Onana were excellent buys. It hasn't worked out but Anthony has been deployed as a winger not a wide forward like he played at Ajax. Sancho was put on the left. Rashford through the middle. That's three square pegs in round holes. Mount played almost always on the right side at Chelsea, he's never been there since he joined United. They had three players for the one position. I don't think Casemiro ever played a bad game at Real Madrid, so what's happened to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But…. EtH demanded, contractually, control over transfers.

Antony was his call.
    Onana was his call.
    Amrabat was his call.
    Martinez was his call.
    He wanted Kane but is it any coincidence that Hojlund joined the SEG agency before signing for United?
    I'd say Mount was as much a club signing, but EtH 100% signed off on it, cause if he didn't he would not have been signed. I reckon the same for Casemiro.
    Malacia was his call.

Antony was called out, prior to signing, as a massive gamble based on needing to add a lot to his game. has been reported that the United scouting dept. rated him as a 20-30million player.

EtH, rightly or wrongly (wrongly imo…..) had ultimate authority over transfers, so the buck stops with him for the players we signed. Even after the INEOS deal went through EtH made a point, in press conferences, of stating he knows what is in his contract (regarding control over transfers). He doesn't want to give that up despite being rubbish at it.

As for Antony being deployed as a winger and not a wide forward… if only the manager who had him at Ajax was the guy at United… like c'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

There was many people, even Ajax fans questioning the Antony transfer! Never in a millions years was he going to be good enough to cut it at a club like UTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

EtH isn't to blame for having no capable centre backs available, but Onana, Mount, Casemiro, Eriksen, Hojlund, Antony and Garnacho are all his men and they looked lost and incapable of doing basic tasks yesterday. He has to take blame for that. For all that last season showed some signs of progression, we still shipped a series of heavy embarrassing defeats and things haven't improved this year. The club can't let him go into next season with less than a year on his contract and the sword of damocles hanging over his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You said it would be smart to give him a season, then named 3 players been played out of position. Isn't that the coaches job in this case Ten Hag to play them in the right positions?

Casemiro is another Brazilian midfielder like fabinho to drop off a cliff near or around 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

What is it with Brazilian players going off the boil post 30? Casameiro another one by the looks who’s cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say there's plenty of fault with ETH relating to the defensive injuries. Didn't he play Shaw and Martinez to early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Early in the season Martinez was played and the injury he got last season recurred and he ended up needing surgery, metatarsal iirc. He was out for several months then nearly first game back he got milled in a tackle and has been out since.

The metatarsal is a notorious injury for being relatively light but has a long recovery period. ETH can be blamed for alot but he has no case to answer on this one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Shaw missed 3 months with a muscle injury and then proceeded to play 76, 90, 90, 90, 79 in 14 days. No easing back into it, no rests. 5 starts in 14 days and nearly max minutes in the weekend/midweek/weekend cycle. Which was then followed up directly with another round of 45, 90 midweek & weekend. Eventually Shaw got a midweek break and played the full 90 mins again and broke down. 8 starts in 28 days, playing 90+% of minutes that the club played.

Regulion & Varane sat on the bench for nearly all of those games too, so it wasn't a case that ETH's hand was being forced to play Shaw the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,339 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And i know Eriksens injury last season was due to a bad tackle, but I will always wonder why he was starting yet another game, at home to Reading, in the cup. His lack of squad utilization, throughout his time, has been terrible and part of the problem.

• Advertisement

One good and one rubbish with half the team out. We need a Fergie reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't see why the one year left thing is a negative at all.

I'd leave him there and clear out as many players as possible over the next season. Next season is transitional no matter what happens, so why not let him stay and take the hit for the some of the dirty work needed.

As noted, its not like there is any great candidate waiting in the wings. And a nice side effect is that the players don't get to sack yet another manager.

If he does well next season then grand, negotiate a new contract. If he doesn't, then off he goes with no big pay off to worry about. By then there may be a better candidate lined up and a lot of the necessary groundwork firmly in place for the real rebuild to begin.

Sacking him now in the hope that a miracle happens next season would be somewhat delusional to my mind, may as well let him have the final year.

On this thing of no good managers available - i'm really surprised to not see fans clamouring for Hansi Flick. In his two years at Bayern he won literally everything, and was 1st and 3rd in the world manager of the year awards. Wants to get back into club management, and wants to try his hand outside Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some people are talking Martinez like he’s VVD or Rio. He played when Utd lost 7-0 to Liverpool. He’s a losss when you have to play Evans or Varane. But he wouldn’t get into any of the top teams back lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yeah. Fully agree. You wouldnt see VVD playing in a team that conceded 7 goals. He's way too good for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Well he is available now. I'm sure you'd be estastic to have him back at Man Utd ☺️

• Advertisement

What does that even mean? Sure VVD started in a game where Liverpool shipped 7 goals to Aston Villa 😂😂

Fully fit Martinez starts for all the top 6 except maybe Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Who does Martinez start ahead of in the city/Liverpool teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

That’s probably the only time he’s taken a hammering playing for Liverpool. Martinez has taken several and he’s hardly played in half the games over the last two years. Like, he’s grand. But people are talking about him being some sort of Baresi type figure. He doesn’t get into the Arsenal, Liverpool or City teams. If you want to extend it to the top 6, that’s up to you. I was talking about the top teams as in the best teams in the league. But if you want to call Spurs a top team, I can’t reason with you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

• Advertisement

It's ok to say you didn't watch much of him last season or only seen him in a handful of games etc..

Anyone who's watched him regularly would struggle to hold that opinion.

City start Ake all the time - he's better than Ake by some distance. Stones and Dias on form though would be difficult to argue granted.

Liverpool - he partners VVD. He's better than all Liverpools other CB. Konate is good and I know that's the one pool fans will argue for. Yeah… No.

Arsenal - hard to argue he'd split up Saliba and Gabriel. They've been the best paring in the league.

Walks into the rest of the leagues teams

The only question around him is how he comes back from these injuries. If he's the same player after so long out.

Wouldn't agree on him being better than Konate in a Liverpool back 4 anyway. Konate's pace and power are unreal. Monster of a player when he's fully fit. That's no disrespect to Martinez, he's a very good player, i'd have him just behind Konate for how we play though.

Now, if it wasn't to partner Virg, then I might go with Martinez for his ball playing, but that's less important beside VVD, and Konate's not bad at that himself either anyway.

(A fully fit Matip is immense too - ahead of both for me. But given that he's out of contract shortly, and has been out so long that we're not sure if the version that returns will be him at his best, he's a bit of a moot point worth ignoring for the sake of this conversation.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

He wouldn’t get in ahead of Romero or VdV at Tottenham either, bad and all as they are

Has Konate not been pulled from the starting lineup recently due to his poor form? With Quansah taking his place?

I remember Carragher calling for him to be replaced this summer due to poor form recently?

Anytime I've seen Konate I think he's solid. Potential is there to kick on for sure.

But yeah Martinez all day. If he comes back the same player that is

Martinez does not get the kudos he deserves from rival fans because he plays for United and he's not over 6 foot but he is intrinsic to how United play under ETH. It's no coincidence that his absence from the team at the end of last season and for most of this one correlates with poor performances. I'm sure people will say that no one player should effect a team so much but those same people saw first hand how having a pivotal player missing disrupts everything ie VVD when he did his cruciate.

Konate,Matip and VVD ahead of Martinez all day long and I could make a case for Quansah. You say that Martinez might not make the Arsenal team but then why is Konate picked ahead of Saliba for the French team?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cos Deschamps doesn't like Saliba basically. It's an ongoing issue for the past while.

Why doesn't he like him? Anyway bit of a moot point anyway because if Konate wasn't putting in the performances for France then there would be extreme pressure put on Deschamps to drop him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No idea. Deschamps hasn't really explained it either other than saying Saliba does things he doesn't like. There's talk he might not even make the Euros squad.

https://www.90min.com/posts/didier-deschamps-explains-why-he-overlooks-william-saliba-despite-amazing-arsenal-form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm amazed you didn't include Phillips, Williams Koumetio, and Van Den Berg ahead of Martinez aswell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement