Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It is incredible to me such a high proportion of these idiots find their way into political life and get their voices heard.

I cannot think of one person that is properly representative of the workers of this country, the ones who "get up at 5am".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nice set of runners be had on.

Brand new and cost more than I have on my feet.

What an absolute scam and farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sinead Gibney on VM earlier - That's Sinead of Irish Refugee Council fame, now running for an MEP position c/o the SocDems. The fact that Ms Gibney will most likely avail of the €600k avg (largely unvouched for) expenses available (over a 5 year stint) along with the €107k pa salary has nothing to do with it at all - Nice money to be made in this racket

I also note - The little princess of Wokeitania (Holly Cairns) is still MIA having being locked up by her handlers, so she doesn't f up with more pre-famine population stats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

She was chief commissioner of the Irish human rights and equality commission.

Not Irish refugee council.

And if elected, she will receive the same remuneration as everyone else in the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Indeed. Which they are paid to represent the interests of the Irish people, not the interests of whoever decides to rock up onto our shores, without identification, in too many cases, or openly admitting to having lived for years in the UK in many others... while claiming asylum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

We aren’t heading towards bankruptcy, we are stampeding towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

genuine question where are you get the figure of 1 billion for 30k AS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

People who draw more on state resources than they contribute deplete same, this will eventually lead to the bankrupting of the state and none to severely restriced resources for everyone.

Same type of gross oversimplification we see we 'build the wall' and 'send them back'.

Many low paid workers draw on state resources (your terms), through requiring HEPA or income supports, but contribute far more through supporting higher paid workers.

Without hospital cleaners, construction labourers, retail staff, restaurant staff, care workers etc there simply wouldn't be a functioning society for higher paid tech and pharma etc jobs

It's a disgusting attack on the poor to get at IPAs.

Initial costs for IPAs are too high though, we clearly need to move urgently to state owned accommodation.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

RTE reporting there are 100 tents on the Canal now.

Is that more than Mount Street had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Loads of half empty buildings in Dublin they could go into. Also lots of on site catering too, showers, security.

Edit ...

RTE reporter took photo on way to work and counted tents in office. #Journalism

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Islands are a different story to Athens, they're on the routes that migrants/traffickers take from Türkiye as they're so close to the EU border… The fact also is that the migrants believe that when they "arrive in the EU" that it's just a matter of getting on a train to Berlin from the shores they arrive on and have no intentions of staying on a remote island.

Also they won't get an influx of Arab-Palestinian refugees as they won't leave Gaza for fear of never being able to return to their lands..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Lead story on Morning Ireland RTE this morning was a shocking rise in hate crime stats, apparently up 12% over one year to 651 incidents. So an extra 80 or so reports across the 26 counties in 12 months….. or a bit more than one a week!!!!

This was casually tied into an introductory spiel about tents in Dublin by the RTE reporter at the outset. Struck me as very biased, lazy and just incompetent journalism.

Bizarrely this followed on from more discussions on the news about how same RTE would be funded into the future.

If that's the level of competence in RTE as on show this morning, better to close the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Athens has had or still has large migrant camps though. They may be temporary but the reality is Greece will still have to hold an enormous amount of refugees all the time, any that leave will be replaced by more and more and it will just get worse. I was just making the point that much of Europe has this problem and it's not going away, it's starting to trickle through to Ireland more and more and being able to enter easily from the North will facilitate the numbers to keep exploding.

Initial costs for IPAs are too high though, we clearly need to move urgently to state owned accommodation.

I see this line trotted out all the time, move to state owned accommodation.. Where? When you consider that building an apartment block that already has full PP applied for and a building contractor ready to go will take at least 2 years to complete.. in that time how many more thousands of single male migrants will arrive here?

Yeap, all kept on the outskirts of Athens, well away from the city centre, unlike Dublin where we have the beginnings of the camps right in the heart of the city..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Dept Of integration spent 2.5bn last year alone.

well everyone seems to want the refugees to be camped in the nice parts of dublin, so maybe the canal and around that area makes the most sense, because it's lovely around there

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I'd say that the rise could be partially due to incidents that might not have been classified as hate crimes previously but are now.

And of course ordinary Irish people will be told that it's their fault that hate crimes are being committed whereas in fact it's the government's fault.

Successive governments have done nothing to manage our plague of feral street youth. Many of today's scumbags responsible for the hate crimes are the children of the previous generation of scumbags, many of whom are still active. And the current mismanagement of the migration crisis gives said scumbags their excuse to kick in the head of anyone with a foreign accent or skin of a different colour to theirs.

Everyone apart from the local home/office owners.

• Advertisement

yeah but the houses around there are crazy money to buy so that's where all the refugees welcome crowd live is what i keep hearing, rich areas like this. so this works out for everyone really. if we were to put them in some field in finglas everyone would say they're being dumped on the working classes.

Not sure how much of that is true, however a recent case of a violent incident in Dublin has proven how successfully some cultures have integrated with the "Local culture"…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is it true that some AS who were moved to crooksling have returned to the grand canal encampment? Is it not better to be in a place with sanitary facilities and other services so why go back to a tent beside the IP office?

Can anyone answer why there are queues and tents around mount sreet, is that the only place to make an application? And once the application is made and AS receive paperwork, they can move wherever they like? If that's the process, then it's no surprise that tents keep appearing.

Lots of calls from TDs, ngo's and charities to provide accommodation but if AS need to register first before they get accommodation, then clearly they will wait as long as necessary in order to register.

Don't worry, the camps there won't last long before they will be moved to Finglas/Coolock where the residents don't have the financial resources to hire the best legal teams to force the Govt. to remove the migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

they most definitely are in the city centre, how long is it since you were there?

have rich residents hired legal teams to remove migrants from somewhere?

they're in loads of city centres in europe on a far worse scale, we're just catching up. the sheer amount of numbers coming to europe means some of them are going to try coming to ireland, especially from the UK as there could be hundreds of 1000s of undocumented people there that can come to ireland easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Leaving that orange buffoons opinions aside here is my own thought.

I suppose the fact that our Government has collectively seemed to drop border controls and has taken an approach of paying mad money to acquire hotels and properties as well as incentivising people to come in their droves via extraordinary welfare payments. Not to mention sending out tweets in multiple languages.

And now, in case you haven't noticed we have a rapidly building shanty town in our capital city with many more arrivals by the day.

All wars aside, the clear lack of a wilful deterrent measures in crisis defies rational logic to me. Why would a country do such a thing, not to mind one with only 5million people? The state have demonstrated they are ready to take on communities on this.

Obviously it's going to change the landscape forever. None of it makes sense.

The obvious immediate and very real risk is that without border controls infrastructure we could literally become Europe's biggest refugee camp.

Also go away with your patronising "you lot". I see what I see and this tent city it 1.5km away from me so I've every right to question it.

Not that long ago…Didn't see any camps around the Acropolis, Monastiraki, Syntagma… I did see a lot of Police on motorcycles though…

• Advertisement

Advertisement