Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Solar panels at home, worth it?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

Which brands offered here should one buy that provide good interoperability?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Maybe this thread should be moved to the renewable energies forum?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cheaper isn't false economy when you're using reputable, well known components. You can buy stuff that isn't Huawei and still have a quality product.

That's the sort of logic that the Activ8 customers have when they spent €2-3k more than everyone else who got a €5k setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Huwaei are so reputable their telecoms equipment are banned in many countries

Post edited by ted1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sunneysun7

Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoyRitar

It’s been a while since your post, but I still wanted to say something.
    Considering solar panels for your crib? I went for it myself, and it's been pretty rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AndreyMal

very intersting

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MeganOgden

The savings on our electricity bill have been noticeable, especially with two EVs in the mix. It's not just about the financial benefits; there's a real sense of satisfaction in generating our own clean energy. Plus, knowing that we're contributing less to carbon emissions is a big motivator. Of course, it's crucial to do your research and calculate potential savings based on your energy needs and local conditions. Solar panels are an investment, but for us, it's been a worthwhile one. «mod snipped promoted company»

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Ev fan

Would totally agree with your thinking. My esb bill for the last 12 months net was less than eur 100 including fueling an EV. However it's not just about money it's also about doing your bit in increasing use of greener energies.

Post edited by liamog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

We got 18 panels installed in late January, and went operational February 1st, as of today, we generated 3,775 kWh, over 152 days until today, of that, 81 % was exported, or 3,049 kWH, i got my latest bill today, and am €344 in credit after current bill, with the 3 bills since install,(1st bill was partly pre solar install) totalling minus €177. Appreciate winter won’t be like this, but i’l have circa €700 in credit before October comes.

It is very clear now, i will generate in excess of what i normally consume annually, which is 6,250 kWh, we have one low mileage EV charging at home, no electric showers - the single biggest user of electricity, and a heat pump.

The grant also came through, we were inspected in early June, so that delayed it somewhat.

It of course depends on your consumption, and, how many panels you can fit, and individual setup. but repeating a few things, what many others have told me, all of which i have found to be very accurate:

1)max out your panels.

2) combine with a suitable tarriff, and max out low night rates.

3) Export everything, allthough realistically, that is only possible with a large battery.

4) Look carefully at the supplier export rates which varies significantly by up to 9 cent a unit, from the lowest (Yuno 16 cent) to the highest (Pinergy 25 cent), the export rates will drop overtime, but so will the unit consumption rates, look carefully as well, at the day and night rates. My day rates have fallen away to 15 %, that will be 0 % when battery goes in for the vast bulk of the year.

Currently on a day /night tarriff, but 15 kw battery is being activated hopefully next week, so will be moving to a smart tarriff, with 3 to 4 hours at a sub 8 cent night rate, to charge battery at night, and power the house fully from battery during the day, that will suffice for at least 9 months of the year, but won’t always be possible during cold snaps, as i have a heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭djan

Great and very detailed write up. Seems to have worked out well for ye. Would you by any chance have a rough number on ROI accounting for the electricity grants/credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

That is very much user circumstances specific, and depends on so many variables:

How many panels you can get fitted

Invertor capacity, and type

Equipment selected - panel & invertor quality, battery choice or no battery, hot water divertor, cabling involved.

What your annual usage is, and as important your specific split between night and day, and individual household requirements, eg EV, Heatpump y/n

Battery size match to ones needs

The most suitable tarriff and export rates applicable to your own individual setup.

There is also the € unquantifiable as many have already said, it is good to generate your own electricity.

I did my own details, and tweaked it for scenarios, and it came out around 7.5 years ROI. but it is an ever changing situation, with tarrifs slowly dropping. as will export rates, and waited for 4 months for the battery to drop, which it did by about 1k.

Theres a bit of “homework” involved in it

Advertisement