Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭maik3n

Funnily enough, the IT reported on it before Grift.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/04/30/man-seriously-injured-in-suspected-knife-attack-at-homeless-tents-in-dublin-city-centre/

Mind you, from the vague details in the article above, it seems like it involved the indigenous homeless population in Dublin so I'm not sure what angle Grift are hinting at here, that would have RTE hiding it?

Is it

• Lawless Dublin?
    • IPAs attacking indigenous homeless?
    • IPAs attacking each other in their tent cities?

If it's just lawless Dublin, we can probably easily understand how a sword wielding madman in London is a much bigger story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I posted that and removed it because the poster said RTÉ, as opposed to the media as a whole, had ignored it.

I'm still waiting for this claim to be substantiated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

No discussion of anything before the courts permitted on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I hear if you repeat the name Mohamed fifteen times into a mirror, he appears behind you…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭francois

NGO, the latest meaningless bogeyman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What's to discuss? It's Grift cherrypicking an anecdote and pretending it's representative.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

While RTE and Virgin media was left wanting for coverage on the 'Anti-immigration protest' today. Just short blink and you miss it moment on 'Six One' and 'Nine' for RTE. Even 'Musk' took time to reply to a tweet.

There were criticisms of media outlet for the coverage of the crowds – and praise for X, which Elon Musk responded to by tweeting that “The people of Ireland are standing up for themselves”.

I suppose this below article is just more misinformation?

https://gript.ie/watch-largest-protest-opposing-immigration-to-date-packs-city-centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The fact that the likes of RTÉ and the Indo reported that the protest today was only a few hundred, yet anyone with access to a Twitter or tik tok account can see it was in the thousands just shows the sorry state the mainstream media is in in this country. It’s only “disinformation” when the other side does it!

Gript have gotten things wrong in the past but I like them for at least trying to provide even a semblance of balanced reporting.

All RTÉ, Virgin, Irish Times etc do these days is push the government progressive narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Largely down to misleading reporting by our old friends in Gript, who report 'overall spend on NGOs' while forgetting to highlight that this includes spend on universities, elder care, disability care services, homeless services, addiction services and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is a bit rich for people to be chomping at the bit claiming Gript are a source of mis information when one looks at the headlines on mainstream tv, radio and in print with regards to the protest in Dublin on Monday.

All of the mainstream media claim that only hundreds of people attended the protests and actually imply there were equal numbers of counter protestors.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Take Jack whites article in the times. Economical with the truth. But it’s ok. It’s the paper of record.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How do you know it's Mohamed if no images are allowed to be shown of him?

Glazers Out!

Yes, if you want to provide those services directly by the State, you'll be adding 30-40% to labour costs to bring the staff involved up to standard PS3 rates and pensions.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tarvis

Surely those who care for for the sick, disabled and elderly members of our families deserve to paid properly. They are more deserving of decent employment conditions than many hundreds of our superannuated paper shufflers.

Who are the 'paper shufflers'? What roles in what organisations are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sure, they all deserve decent employment conditions.

Frontline and administrative staff are both essential to supply services.

So all we have to do is collect more tax in order that we can pay them.

I wonder what Gript would think of that ?

Grift hates that. It exists to buttress current structures of power, not to improve anything for working class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

I think the blanket dismissal of any significant news outlet is all too common.

One side auto-dismisses The Guardian whilst the other auto-dismisses The Telegraph etc.

We see the same phenomenon with Gript.

My point is this: even if a news outlet has a bias, that bias doesn't invalidate everything they publish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Shoog

Gript has a history of lying, they are not a trustworthy source. You do not trust anything a liar tells you. That's the price of been caught lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gript is not a news outlet, that's the category error you're making.

It's a propaganda outlet.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

News outlet? Sounds more like a dating app for w@nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly. Trust is earned. People buy the Irish Times, the Independent and so on because they can expect a minimal level of honesty and a correction when errors occur.

Grift is not a news outlet, it's a disinformation platform funded most likely by malevolent foreign actors. The comparison is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

They must be doing something right if they are upsetting the usual suspects. Might up my subscription tbh. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gript are religious nutters with a conservative Catholic agenda.

They know there arent that many religious people left (certainly none of an age who would pay for a digital sub) so they market to angry thickos with whatever is trending on Twitter.

I think the Catholic thing just provides a nice set of symbols for them to exploit. It means they can push hate while looking righteous. It exists to buttress power by shutting down discussion of topics like inequality, housing, racism, climate change, etc. Sometimes it does this by pushing the sort of anti-scientific nonsense used by American think tanks. Mostly, it's good old deflection and immigration along with trans people are the best ammunition Grift could ask for.

I'm guessing Grift doesn't make money but I don't know because they don't disclose who owns them or their finances. Ultimately, it's just professional pricks typing on a computer. There's no journalism which also helps keep the costs down. Anyone with a laptop and wifi along with the right opinions can be a Grift writer. There's no other qualifications necessary.

I don't personally use Gript as my primary, secondary or tertiary news source. It exists, and sometimes I come across it peripherally on social media or elsewhere. So I'm not speaking here as some prophet advocate for Gript.ie.

Rather, what I have found is that many people who condemn Gript ab initio have never read an article from the website to begin with. Yet they speak with undying hatred about it. Their ostracism began before they even began publishing. Yet this is from the same people who condemn Gript for not being accurate or fair. At the very least, that's ironic.

Second to that, I have no doubt that sometimes Gript have, at times, published inaccurate stories and issued retractions; the same as any other news outlet. I mean, if the Irish Times or any other experienced news organization sometimes get it wrong, then surely it's not beyond possibility that a start-up outlet is more likely to experience the same thing?

Is that a reason to wholly dismiss absolutely everything they publish, or the arc of bias they happen to promote? It's unsound.

For what it's worth, here is the current homepage stories on the Gript.ie:

This is extreme hatred?

If anything, it's very banal.

I think the hysteria around Gript.ie is fomented from an online echo-chamber who want to hate the outlet for the crime of just existing.

If you are going to argue that Gript.ie is foreign funded by malevolent actors, you would need to provide a citation to back up that so far unsubstantiated claim. Remember again, that you criticised Gript.ie for being inaccurate and not sourcing their stories properly, so it would be the absolute summit of irony if your claims are held to that very same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Augme

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the point.

Nobody expects Gript to report the same content as RTE or the Irish Times.

If that were the case, why would they have a reason to exist?

The purpose of Gript, from my understanding of it, is to precisely report on those stories and angles that would not be expected to be parroted on RTE or the Irish Times.

There are many people in this country who feel that their views on specific concerns go ignored. If we are to claim to live in an open and democratic country, we cannot dismiss those concerns or shout those concerns down. In the end, that's what contributes to the rise of violence and extremism. Nobody should want either.

And I say that as someone who doesn't agree with everything published on Gript, in the same way that I don't agree with everything published on RTE or the Irish Times. I read all the stories and evidence, and I make my own mind up — matter by matter.

That's what it means to think critically.

Advertisement