Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

A silly, totally non-workable and impractical hypothetical that is going to strip Leinster of some of its best players would dilute Leinster’s ability to compete in Europe? Yeah, that’s hardly a controversial statement.

You’re consistently missing the point though - Leinster’s advantage isn’t the fact that the other provinces don’t have the ability to overpay to steal away their talent (when they effectively already do), Leinster’s advantage is their superiority at producing high quality prospects and then turning those prospects into elite international rugby players.

This isn’t something that can’t be replicated elsewhere or that the other provinces can’t get significantly better at, it’s just something Leinster have been better at for the past decade or so.

How does it help Leinster disproportionately when it’s only the other Irish provinces who are prevented from outbidding Leinster? The IRFU have no control over the bidding practices of the French, English, Japanese clubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

You asked what protections Leinster have vs clubs sitting on similar talent rich areas.

That's the protection. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

A normal player market isn't some crazy hypothetical. That's the reality for those other clubs.

I have no idea why you made this into a big deal. This is a SELF EVIDENT advantage.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

you are banging on for weeks now, it the same rubbish over and over again.

The Leinster thread is just pages of you complaining about Leinster 🤦‍♂️

Maybe… or maybe i say something extremely obvious like 'player movement restrictions in ireland are an advantage for leinster vs big clubs overseas' and people drive themselves into a FRENZY arguing about other things.

Edit: but yea fair enough, let's leave it here.

Except your whole premise is grounded on a belief that it’s just money alone that is the only driving factor that’s stopping all of Leinster’s talent flying the coop when it is absolutely clear this isn’t the case.

As usual though- when discussing this topic your proposed solutions are always about dragging Leinster down rather than bringing up the levels of the others.

It’s hard not to see that as coming from a place of bitterness or jealousy rather than being actual rational proposals

• Advertisement

Oh my **** god. You asked what the protection is vs foreign clubs with talent bases and i told you. Which you already recognized would weaken Leinster vs european comp if lifted.

Now you aren't even arguing that any more. You are just psycho analyzing me for some reason.

Ok, i'm out. Have a lovely day.

Edit : also just to be clear. I don't mean leinster players are money hungry or whatever. I just mean free markets effect player values especially at the top.

So is that a more significant advantage conferred onto Leinster to undo the restrictions, for example, on recruiting virtually limitless numbers of NIQs like La Rochelle (Skelton, Botia, Sclavi, Latu, Kerr Barlow, Seuteni, Leyds, Nowell, Rhule, West etc) or Toulouse (Laulala, Ain’u, Arnold, Willis, Chocobarres, Capuozzo, Cruz Mallia, Kinghorn, Ahki) etc?

You are constantly trying to imply Leinster have some sort of unfair advantage versus other clubs, but frequently refuse to acknowledge the limitations imposed on Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Have you ever actually been involved in or played any team sport ulsteru20s?

Most of the young lads at Leinster that you’ve spent the last 10 pages debating about are born and bred in Leinster. They grew up dreaming of playing for Leinster. They live in Leinster, their families and friends are in Leinster. They’re playing rugby now with a team they grew up supporting and some of them with teammates they’ve been with since they first started playing rugby.

For a lot of them the wages are irrelevant and they’d play for Leinster for no wages as it’s what they’ve always wanted to do.

That’s what team sport is about when you’re playing for your own club.

Of course there will be some exceptions to the rule, and as lads get older and start families etc. priorities will change and some will move for better money to support that.

Some will move due to not making first teams etc, but in their first few years where a lot of them are probably still living at home with parents and don’t have major financial commitments the dream is to make it at Leinster and a few pound more from another province isn’t going to change that dream as it’s not about the money yet.

You are infuriating.

YOU ASKED WHAT PROTECTION LEINSTER HAVE. I TOLD YOU.

Correct or not?

Are you saying its an advantage that french clubs can sign more foreign players? Yes, of course it is. I agree. I would be **** insane spending hours disagreeing with something so obvious.

I'm not saying guys don't want to play for their province. I'm saying that the only real way to sway some people away from that is probably to outbid leinster or ulster or munster or connacht.

People are taking this very black and white but i honestly don't think its that controversial.

If there is a rule against that, which popular perception says there is, that's why its there. To stop bidding wars to get guys out of their province. Which is a good thing, but is still … an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Leinster play fantastically as a team but in the likely man to man match-ups, how do you we think we look against Toulouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Rugbyf565

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ed Byrne to Cardiff? No takers in Ireland? Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

interested to see what side plays this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I think Byrne realised that there was little to no chance he was going to get into the Ireland set up with Porter, Healy, Boyle and Milne ahead of him at Leinster alone who are all in Farrell's plans for the current and future. Makes sense to get himself a bit more money in Cardiff and maybe play some more competitive fixtures. James Cronin did fairly well for himself with a move away from Munster so maybe Byrne does well over there and maybe lands himself another decent contract.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did Cardiff get a new backer recently? The Welsh clubs were haemorrhaging players lately with no cash to pay them but Cardiff have signed 3 props now.

I doubt Cardiff are offering more money, WRU have cut the crap out of budgets

no people are looking at it and thinking what is best for the IRFu, player, provinces, system….take whichever you want as a priority but the plan fails for all of them

Maybe move it to another thread because running it constantly in the Leinster thread just suggests bitterness toward Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I'm not saying they are paying him head and shoulders above what the other provinces would but I wouldn't be surprised if he got a modest pay bump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect it was dysfunction in Ulster rather than pay that was the driving factor, though we'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Isn't it entirely possible that neither Deegan or Ed Byrne were ever really contemplating moving to Ulster, or that Ulster weren't really pursuing them?

Like, the Deegan rumour in particular has been floating around for years, and the Ed Byrne move never made sense to begin with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The former sure, the latter I'd be less sure on.

The Deegan rumour has been floating around for years, though more as supposition and conjecture - it felt like it had more legs this time round.

The Ed Byrne move absolutely made sense to me - given Eric O'Sullivan is being let go, Kitshoff is gone and the only other looseheads are the incredibly underwhelming Callum Reid and 33-year-old Andy Warwick. Ed Byrne is absolutely a better player than Reid or Warwick.

Maybe the rumours of O'Toole being switched to LHP swayed him away, but even still I'd have thought he's in their first choice 23.

I'd have had in all of the other Irish provinces first choice 23 tbh - think he's a better player than Josh Wycherley, Peter Dooley & Jordan Duggan etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think O'Sullivan is staying now that Kitshoff is gone.

But I agree with your point. Byrne would probably have been our first choice. Absolute worst case he was 2nd choice and always in our strongest 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Conan. Doris. VDF. Baird. Culhane. Moloney. Deegan. Penny. Connors

Ruddock retiring possibly, or maybe moving away? Easy to see why the Deegan rumours keep surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ruddock retiring.

If he'd signed for a Top14 club I'd say "okay, he was probably looking for a decent amount of cash", but really struggle to believe Cardiff outbid the Irish provinces. He's just 30, and by all accounts is one of the absolute best trainers and cultural fit guys in the entire Leinster squad. I've heard that said about him (and his brother) since they first broke through.

Kind of baffles me there was no interest in him from the other three provinces.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would be amazed if there was no interest from Ulster. Amazed.

Can't imagine Byrne would be on a big contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

They have another post up hinting at more signatures. I have massive respect for what Leinster are doing and what they have achieved (I see the impact of it on a weekly basis) but it feels like they're just trolling at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Someone called Helford Capital took over Cardiff this year apparently and promised funding for players.

Advertisement