Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Target proximity for 5hcap on left, my average with arrows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Haven't really thrown anything up here as I've been playing crap mostly and the odd time hitting my HC points. The short game is still killing me but I finally found a simplified chipping technique that's repeatable. Essentially gripping right down almost to the steel. Forcing me closer to the ball and tightening up any flippiness, sways or wobbles.

During the last few weeks I did post a +3 front 9 which was a PB. The secret was hitting greens or being well outside my short chip kryptonite distance 🤣.

Just need to get on the practice green to build the short-game confidence, the longer sunshine hours will help and surely the rain will start to subside.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lost my matchplay game tonight, on the 19th hole. Disgusted is an understatement, as i had it in the bag, but completely threw it away. 2 up through 11, scratch 12 and 13, then 3 putt from 4 feet on the par 3 14th. Flew a nice drive down the 1st playoff hole, but club face opened right up for my 2nd shot, and i ended up blocking myself out twice to give him an easy par to win. I played some lovely shots, especially my approach shots from 120 yards or so, but my driving let me down again.

It was a scratch match though, and he plays off 6, so it was always going to be tough.

Onto the next one i suppose 😫

Lost another matchplay last night, and played possibly the worst golf of my life. Was a foursomes, and i don't think i hit a good shot from the 3rd hole to the 13th hole. Didn't hit a single fairway from the tee, put at least 2 oob, shanked a 4iron 50y right on a par 3. You name it, i did it last night. Was one of those rounds where i question what the **** i'm even doing playing.

I'm fine now, and looking forward to getting out again on Wednesday for what will likely by my last matchplay of the year.

But christ on a bike it was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

We had our voucher at the weekend. It was windier than I would have liked and the course is drying out which is good but still only 16 holes open. It's also at that stage where I think it's playing it's most difficult in the year, no run on the fairways so drives are all carry, enough growth in the grass that the rough is getting pretty dense before the sheep get out (yes we have sheep on the course) and lastly the tees moved back to summer position.

I've been putting a lot of work into some pretty big swing changes but yet to feel the benefits. This was the first round I've played that I could see the changes paying off. First couple of holes were scrappy but a good birdie on the 4th, a par 5, had me back in decent shape, 2 over after 4. Went on a bit of a bogey train then of 4 in a row but then managed 4 pars in a row which would still have had me in a pretty decent position at 6 over with 4 holes left to play. Then one bad shot led to a catastrophic blow up. Classic trying to play a hero shot out of some rough rather than the percentage shot. Went through the last 4 holes in 10 over. Ended up only being 6 shots off the winner which could have been very possible, even bogey golf for the last 4 would have had me tied.

A lot of positives to take away but disappointed with my decision making on that one hole. I'd been making smart decisions before than but for that one shot ego won over logic. Trying to smash a 3 wood out of rough to the green. Even with a decent lie it was a bad call.

• Advertisement

First proper game of golf on Saturday in a month (was over in Australia for a few weeks and got a casual game in, using a mates clubs, in baking heat, where we had to walk the course as there had been heavy rains in the prior days so no buggies were allowed)

So first game, and a baptism of fire...medal, in strong winds and with a couple of heavy downpours.

Performed much better than I expected to. Had low expectations. Ended up level through the first 5 holes. 3 pars, 1 bird, 1 bogey (on the index 1, with a chip-in, after putting my second in the water)

Onto 6, hit a decent 3w, draw, which thought would be held into a cross breeze, but cut straight through it and missed fairway left. In some scrub and needed a draw with the second. A repeat of the tee shot would be perfect, but a big block (only one of the day) and OB right. Struggled after it and ended up with a triple. Followed up with 2 pars and then a 3-putt bogey on 9. So +4 for 9, which was level for my handicap as I had 8 off the blues off the new calc. Pretty happy to be level with a triple and a 3-putt.

Started the back 9 with a shank of my second on 10. Manage to get my 3rd onto the back of the green, but 3-putted again for a double.

Another 3-putt bogey on 14, but a nice chip in par on the index 2 16th and birdie on the par 5 18th to finish.

So overall, pretty happy with the return to comp golf.

2 chip-ins

3 3-putts, but all with 40ft+ tricky first putts

2 birds

8 pars

6 bogeys

1 double

1 treble

Would have been a cut if there'd been qualifying. Really is a strong argument for courses to be implementing lift clean and replace to get seasons started

Golf's a funny auld game. After the shambolic showing on Sunday, i went out and played some of the best golf i've played in the last 18 months in a trial for one of our interclub teams. Started slowly as i rushed from work and just made the tee time, so had a 7 on the par 5 first. But really got going after that, and when i didn't drive it well, i scrambled really well. Only got 16 holes in, but i was +5 for those 16. 3 birdies, 6 pars, 6 bogeys and a double.

The bad golf was definitely related to massive stress that i've been under in work lately. Managed to fix something that has been at me for months now, holding up a huge migration project, and that lifted a hell of a weight off my shoulders. Shows how much the mental side of things can really help or hinder your game.

Another match tomorrow, and if i play like that i think i'll win it well 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I got out for an open comp in Roganstown yesterday. I was a bit iffy about playing due to how soft I was expecting things to be. I must say I was very impressed with how wet it wasn't. My balls were plugging everywhere, but I didn't lose any due to plugging and the ground was fine to hit off.

But what made me particularly happy with my decision to play was that I played really well for the most part. 38 points overall, so I'd say I'm not too far from a prize. On the negatives - I hit a couple of wild drives, but I got away with them. It was criminal that a couple of them were still in play, let along not even in trouble. I had 3 bad 3 putts which were annoying. Particularly the one on 17 when I felt I had a decent chance of winning. And I scratched two par 5s from promising positions - nailed a drive on 4, shanked an iron OB. On 10 I was greenside after 3, hoping to get up and down for a par. I chipped way past the hole and 3 putted for nada. On the positives, I struck it really well for the most part. 8 greens in regulation, got up and down 4 times. While I was happy with 38 points, I really came away thinking it should have been a few more.

It's a course I'm considering for long term membership and that was my first time playing it. My perception is probably skewed by how I played, but I really liked it. I'd say you get away with some wildness there which would suit me. But I liked the look of the course, there seemed to be nice variety to the course. I'll just have to go out there and stink it out and see if I still like it. That'll be the real test.

The last 2 rounds I've played have been very strong. Is a run of two rounds in a row enough to be a change in ability as opposed to two freak rounds? I think so. I am annoyed though that I couldn't submit either. On my back of the postage stamp calculation I reckon I'd have dropped 1.9 shots from them if I could have submitted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Got 40 pts for the first time in a few years yesterday - being a while coming . Off 8 on the day - but WHS puts you were you should be fairly quickly - so you end up where your average is. There is a psychological battle with WHS - and you got to just run with it and go - this is my form , this is the average golfer I am. But you still think back to the old system - but the new system gives you more shots and the new calculation also gives you more shots. So new 40s are a little bit of lesser value. You have to retrain the brain a bit.

Anyway - still had to go 4 over - and I felt I could go a little lower too.

Nice when you have the day when it pays off - But I still find golf very very hard - and you put massive amount of work in at range - practice area and improvement is slow. But I'm hoping I'm going to have a bit of a step change in performance - there are signs there - more birds - hitting things at range , hole a few putts and chips. Hitting fairways and greens - and as mad as this sounds - a bit of luck. Maybe you don't know why you get this luck - but it comes all at once at times.

Such a very very odd game - a mystery.

Not sure how long the form will last - but might try get near the par this year / summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I played a charity event up in Rockmount near Belfast at the weekend. Very nice course, some gorgeous holes although there were a lot of hills to navigate. Thankfully I was playing with people who had played the course before.

I thought I was playing some okay stuff during the front 9 and a good bit better during the back 9. I'd not looked at my score once throughout the round and was surprised and happy to see I shot 36. This was enough to win the comp and get a golf bag worth £99. I didn't need another bag so exchanged it for a 19 degree Wilson DynaPower hybrid which was £95 down from £185. I'd be looking to get a new hybrid for a while so that worked out really well.

I got incredibly lucky on the last hole when I overshot the green and the ball was bouncing towards the glass of the club house, it hit a chair and bounced back towards the green. I duffed the chip a little but then sunk a 12 footer to essentially earn me the point that won the comp.

I've been improving a lot lately, 2 outright wins and 1 division win in my last 4 comps, and really enjoyed playing a new course. Normally I struggle terribly when I'm not in my home club but the confidence in striking the ball fairly consistently really lets you enjoy golf rather than enduring it. Knowing that that terrible shot is not likely to become a string of terrible shots is such a benefit of not being utterly brutal anymore.

• Advertisement

It's almost summer so it means Wexford Strawberries and counting golf!

We didn't have counting golf at the weekend but it was close enough tbh. Almost perfect conditions for Sat/Sun bar a couple of soft areas and GUR.

Played with a mate on Sat morning off the blues and we went "as-is" except mudballs. Turned in a respectable 89 off 15 course HC. After going +1 through 5. I threw a massive hook to lose a ball and triple. Next I had a monster drive (for me) on our index 1 par 4 #7 with a little wind assist. Left a 9i (never had 9i off blues) that I pulled a bit left of the green. It wasn't a bad leave and then I conspired for a double (short game horrors 😂). The rest was irrelevant tbh. It was almost enchanting to play the full course, see the ball carry more and roll out before being fooled on slicker greens.

Sunday I felt good having dusted off the cobwebs the morning before. Now time for the whites off 13 playing HC for our Sun comp. Unfortunately, it was hilarious army golf on the front 9 for the most part so I used up my 13 shots with 11 points. However, I didn't foresee my fortunes turning on the back 9.

Ripped a big drive onto the downslope of #10 long par 4 index 2. Then hit a career shot tbf. I rifled a 185yd 6i from the downslope that faded towards the back right pin, pitching on the hump before resting to 4 feet. I couldn't see the ball finish as it was hidden behind the hump but it brought a welcome surprise. Made the putt with no fuss and I was over the moon. One of my goals for the year was to birdie the last two hard holes (7&10) which I have barely threatened since I took up the game. To make it funnier I was telling my playing partner I've yet to birdie 7&10 before I hit the iron despite having loads of approaches from 130-170. So he was giving me loads of stick before the putt.

An avoidable double aside the back 9 could have been my best ever back 9 with +2 gross (I won't count it due to placing and a temp green). I wasn't far from eagling 18 with that temp green about 30 yards short of normal. Driver/6i onto the temp dance floor and gave it a good scare from 15ft.

A trio of 3x stabs on the way out was disappointing but that back 9 and birdie on 10 felt magical. Roll on counting golf next weekend and our first major. With any luck at all the forecast will change and we get some half decent weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played my first home counting round of 2024 on Friday - a very mixed bag. When I played well, it was excellent, but there were too many bad shots and the odd example of poor tactics too. I was unlucky in a few places (ended up 18 inches out of bounds twice on separate holes!) but all in all I didn't play well at all. Ended on 22 points.

First counting comp today. Strokeplay off the blues. Turned in an 87 for nett level par.

Started well with two pars. Whisker from birdie on 1 and a great up/down on 2. A couple of bogies followed by 2 pars before a dissapointing double from the fairway on our index 1 par 4. Scrambled a bogey on 8 before bogeying 9. Had a wedge from 75 yards and flew the green 😁.

Luckily found a bad drive in scrub next to OB on 10 before making a double on what could have been a biiiig number. Bogeyed the next 5 inc a poor 3 putt on 15. Scrambled 2 ridiculous pars on 16/17, both with 15+ft putts off the back fringe. Duck hooked 18 and took relief from machinery tracks before pulling my 2nd into the spinney. Opted to hit a high wedge over a tree but caught a branch and had to punch back out. My pitch spun and didn't release onto the temp green so I closed with a dissatisfying double. The green is 30 yards short so it's a driver/6i par 5 atm and par should be a given.

A mixed bag but I was delighted to get the 72 on reflection. The luck balanced out tbh. My index drops 0.3 and I'll qualify for next week's final round. Leaders bunched on 66-67 so I've an outside chance. Great to see the ball going miles in 17C and sun on the back. Hopefully, some good weather to dry out the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Had the worst two rounds of golf at the weekend since I got a GUI about 4 years ago.

Friday, 7 points on the front 9 off the Blues. (107) 22points overall

Sunday, 5 points on the back 9 off the Whites. (104) 22points overall

Wouldn't mind, I had been playing so well over the winter and spring months.

Don't beat yourself up too much, we all have bad rounds...at least you broke 20 both days 😀

Adjusting from placing everywhere to play as it lies often will have a bit of a short term knock on effect while people get back used to not teeing it up in the rough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I dont post often but in the last few weeks won first monthly medal (net66). Played in and Won my first singles interclub matchplay match (6&5) and this morning shot my lowest ever round.

4 over around Corballis for 43 points.

We play as it lies out of the rough in Arklow during the winter months. So can't even blame that. Just poor golf after improving my driving so much over the winter, my short game went to pot.

Back at it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Of course the other way of looking at it is you scored 15 points on back 9 off blues and 17 points on the front 9 following day off the whites.

Solid scoring.You need to take the positives in this game and forget everything else.

Otherwise it will wreck your head.

Glass half full attitude. It will be grand.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great golf..as almost impossible to keep it going or not have 2 or 4 nightmare holes there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I think i was over thinking as i got into back 9.

14 topped driver and slid past for par after two good recovery shots

15 leaked second shot right onto path and left tricky par putt an inch short.

16 approach leaked right took a big bounce and buried in rough. Two to get on green. Two putts for double bogey.

Par par to finish.

Was still beaten by a point 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement

I know, thanks. It was just one of those weekends.

The last few seasons I was so inconsistent with my driver, now after a lot of practice, I'm a lot more consistent and a lot longer off the tee, out driving some of my mates by easily 70+ yards. To then start struggling around the green is a bit of head melt.

It'll all come together for me this season and I'm sure to post a great score.

Rosapenna for the 3-links ticket in 2 weeks time, be the perfect time. Hopefully some of the same weather as this weekend.

Frustrating game even at the best of times 😄. Similar to you I'm generally good with the driver and longer than most club golfers but not huge (I'm not carrying more than 260 very often and that would be summer). The short game just disappeared and it's head melting to be playing low 80s golf tee to green and then 100+ golf around the green. Keep the faith and grind out the short game reps. Maybe even a lesson is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I’ll add to some of the misery posted.

Picked up a chest injury at the beginning of April and a back injury at the end so played very little and what little I did play only made my golf worse. Topping driver, fatting irons,have it all

Now (relatively) healthy and struggling to score. Last few rounds have been 92,85,86,93 and plus 4 for 9. Took a lesson but need to go back as was the plan. Went from an out to in swing to over the top and a poor release and weight shift. All over having to lift something awkward. Ah well

I think a lesson for my iron play around 100 to 140 range is required. The only lesson I ever had previously was purely to sort out my driving which worked after a lot of practice, I had a major slice issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Head is telling you "dont hurt yourself".

Practice easy swings to convince yourself its ok.

Back injuries and operations taught me that one.

The game is 90 percent whats going on between your ears😃

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

need to just vent.

Made mad mistake of signing up for club comp today. Strokeplay off the blue tees! HCI of 19 giving playing hc of 22 (vs 19 off the whites that normally play off).

Jazus but it like playing a completely different course. First few holes were ok, couple doubles, couple pars, couple bogeys. And then it went mad. A 4 over on index 2 6 th holes followed by par followed by 4 over.

And then it got worse. An 11 on the 11th, a 4 over again and finished with an 11 on the 18th. 120 total. Looking back in arccos haven’t had that bad of a day since using arccos (Jan 2020). Driver broke my heart With so far back and trying to get over **** in front, (had to retee 7 times), approach shots were Poor (over trying to kill the ball). Short and putter was grand thank god.

I wont be playing blues again for a long long long time. Saying that lads I was out with and 4 ball in front of us struggled also (flags were in very difficult positions also).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

What course was it?

I’ve been meaning to play the rare blue tee comp in Headfort new the last two years but missed it both times. Last time I played it I was off 23 and had a nightmare😂 It’s very long from the blues, off 8 it gives me a PH of 13 😂

Anyway, played some good golf last night for at least a few holes. Swing is getting there, tee’d off at 5pm after been up for work since 3.30am so was feeling fairly tired on the back 9. Put too many in the rough on the back 9, it’s either wedge it out or try to chop it out with a hybrid and both usually go the same distance , grass probably 3/4 of an inch above the ball 2 ft into the rough

83 strokes

3 over front 9

8 over back 9 with a lost ball and two doubles 🤦‍♂️

Played the final round of our 1st major yesterday. Had a decent start and cobbled together a scrappy front 9 for nett par. It included a double on a par 5 where I badly pulled a 100yd approach for GIR and also a triple where I duffed two chips. Tbf my putter was actually having a good day.

Back 9 started with a poor triple that was avoidable. A terrible punch shot that I topped into the tree I was trying to avoid, then an equally terrible flubbed pitch shot. Another poor pitch before tidying for Scrambled in a couple of great par saves before giving myself an eagle chance on Par 5 14th that I tapped in for birdie. I checked my score at this point and I was +10 with 5 shots left on my HC and thought I'd a reasonable chance of decent score with two par 5s and a short par 3 to come.

Bogeyed the par 3 and left 125yds with a wedge in hand on the next Par 5 16 for GIR. The less said about the 9 I walked off with the better (chunked into water and duffed/bladed my way) 😂. I had 150yds from the fairway on 17 Par 4 and pulled it about 30yds left beyond another tee box. That ended up with more messing before a triple and finished with a bogey for Nett +5.

Very disappointed with the two wedges and duffed chips/pitches. The big positive has been putting and scrambling other holes, especially on a day when my drivers and irons were middling. Feels like a round where there was easily 6-8 shots left behind. The weather was fantastic and with any luck we'll see more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

+2 75 gross in Lucan today.

Pretty scrappy round but I ground like hell, couldnt have really have been any better.

Made a good putt for par on 1 before errant drives right on 2 and 3 led to bogies. Was only hitting a 6 iron into the par 5 4th but made par which was disappointing. Made a good par on the tough 5th then drained from 20ft odd for a birdie on the 6th to get back to +1. Then doubled 7 to throw all that away, and 3 putted the par 3 8th for good measure. Pushed drive off 9 but hit a very good, flat out lob wedge over trees to get it to 18ft and promptly nailed the putt; poorly read and struck, it had no business going in but she caught the left lip and dropped. So +3 the f9, not great but not terrible.

Hit a scruffy 5wd up the middle of the par 4 10th; downwind so left me with a gapwedge in. Pulled pin high to maybe 22ft and nailed that one too. All good on the greens at this stage but did miss from 10ft on 11 after a good 7 iron off the tee. Regulation par on 12 then hacked my way up 13; longish par 5 but it was straight downwind so a birdie chance with a decent drive. Which I didnt hit. Drop kick left and could only hack an 8 iron out of cabbage to within 115 yards odd, which left an awkward pitch with the wind and the angle. Pulled a sand wedge and missed the green left, where theres a big drop off. Had a nasty 4th up a 15ft rise with no green to work with. Got that to 8ft (pretty happy with the shot tbh) and made the putt, so delighted to get out of that one with a par.

Ditto on 14. Terrible drive, pull hook, couldve gone OB for the same money. As it was, a chop out sideways was all I had. PW from 130 to 5ft and made it for a par. Decent par on 15, then a bit unlucky on 16. Decent 7 iron that ran by the pin and through the back of the green, which left a tricky chip, downhill but into the wind. Got it to a foot. Onwards, 2 par 5s to finish.

Decent drive on 17 but caught a poor lie in between the semi and the primary rough right. Had a go with the 3wd but hit a poor shot, into a fw bunker right. 60 yards from the pin. Rotten length shot, tried to pinch it clean and caught it thin, went through the green about 60ft away. From there, I hit maybe my best shot of the day, a lovely chip that made it to the top of a tier and rolled out stone dead for a par 5.

And then came 18, also a par 5, index 2. Tough hole from start to finish and kicked things off with a horrid drive, way right, one place you cant go. Hit a good 2nd, hack 4 iron that had to get over a pesky root only a foot in front of me. Still 200 plus away for my 3rd, but downhill downwind, it was a lashed 7 iron all day. Poxy shot, thin and heely short right, which left me with a nigh on impossible 4th shot, a 15 yard chip / bump, with a steep ridge only 15ft short of the hole from a fluffy enough lie. Hit the worst shot I hit all day, just a horrible torquey blade hit that scuttled through a patch of semi rough 2ft in front of me, dribbled towards the aforementioned ridge, almost stopped dead on top of it, before finding an extra foot of momentum and trickling out to 3ft beyond the hole. Putt was fast, left edge with good pace and, thank God, she dropped.

Respectable number on the face of it but it was a struggle out there. At least the thunder storms held off!

• Advertisement

A bit better last night, 35 points with 0 scratches.

Only for a couple of poor iron shots and a few missed putts by mm's could easily of had 40+.

Hopefully more to follow at the weekend.

Advertisement