Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flancmange

Easy to say. But within a few years we have gone from no protests, no arson, no political representation of heretofore unsavoury attitudes and no migrant camps, to name just some elements, to where we are now.

There is a very definite trend, and the reasons fueling that trend (housing, increasing arrivals etc) are worse than ever, with every sign of exponential worsening and zero solutions on offer.

Nobody needs a crystal ball to see the escalation coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

How come we can't get some of our own voluntarily life-long unemployed to clean the toilets? How come we don't have enough Irish people to fill the highly skilled roles? Could it be that our successive governments have failed us in some way? Poor planning, poor social policy, incompetence, laziness, greed, dishonesty, nepotism ……….

I don't think the average Irish person ever had an issue with a moderate/proportionate number of foreigners coming here to work if the labour was needed. But that's not what we're seeing now. We're seeing something else entirely and I believe you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Really ?

Where you getting this from ?

Ivana Bacik was rubbished here yesterday for her suggestions about state owned accommodation NEARBY …Ready to go for the last few years Baggott St Hospital but nobody who rowed in Bacik bashing seemed to understand that reference .

Could take a few hundred off the canal straight away .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Roderic has been very quite over the past 2 weeks, not a peep

So they should not discuss those newly released statistics ?

That would be GB News and other rag journalism you'd be thinking about there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You think life long unemployed people are employable in any way, have you ever met any? Anyway there aren't many were almost at full employment. We can't fill all the roles as we don't have enough graduates to keep up with available roles.

I was responding to someone pointing out that foreign people are buying housing here now, obviously those people are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

Where is Russia flying planes from?? Sounds like a crazy story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

so has the community engagement team, not a peep out of them regarding the plans for Newtown either. Think they're still at the stage of a site is ear-marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm not entirely sure about the "nailing it" bit here, at least from the chosen quote.

In the first para, he is doing little more than describing a problem shared across the developed world whereby the protocols in place end up allowing asylum seekers to remain, regardless of the outcome of their application. I don't think anyone particularly disputes this. It's how you actually remove people which is more problematic.

To his point around borders — sure — there are people who think borders are bad. But they aren't really the body in power, nor do I imagine they ever really will be. The world is divided along borders and nation states and no parties with sizeable support are really pushing to change this.

As for his point around people thinking migration is a human right. Again there might be, but it sounds to me like he is ignoring the fact that (whether people see it as a human right or not), almost everyone in the developed world — left and right — at least desires to have the option and relative freedom to move abroad for what they perceive to be a better life. The option to migrate is desired by everyone — and therefore the existence of migration is perpetuated by everybody.

• Advertisement

Something happened with the quote link. The other post got tied up with yours.

Fixed now .

Replied to you about accommodation NEARBY .

From the Middle East, with migrants from mostly Iraq but also Afghanistan and Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If an AS is offered tented accommodation and they refuse, are they still entitled to the accommodation allowance?

The difference being those asylum seekers in less affluent areas are in accommodation of sorts .

You are not surely comparing like for like when you talk about an encampment in Mount St or now on the Canal ? No running water or sanitary facilities except the canal itself !

As I pointed out to you Ivana and others IN THAT AREA have pointed to the empty Baggott St Hospital which has running water and toilet facilities AND is not in Coolock or Finglas .

But instead you are trying to say that those people living around that area are somehow racist for wanting the very local hospital to be used to house these people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I find it funny that Monaghan has some of the lowest rates in the country for AS and the biggest benefactor from the whole thing lives there.

I think Kerry has the highest.

The community engagement team, like what is any of that even about?

We're going to unceremoniously dump some large amount of people in your small town that doesn't have infrastructure. Is that okay, now that we've communicated that to you?

No, it doesn't make any difference in the slightest.

Might as well be called the Shooting You In The Face Explanation Unit.

Id hazard a guess thats why all that has shrivelled up and blown away in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Have I ever met any of them? I have indeed - spent twenty years teaching in DEIS primary schools so among the parents, I met the full gamut ranging from the young ones destroyed by heroin, the older ones begging on the Ha'penny Bridge, the ones coming out of Mountjoy and getting their Junior Infant kid to do lookout while they nicked bikes… the list goes on. The ones who do the nicking are more than capable of wielding a broom or a mop.

The terrible thing is that when the kids first come to school they're a great little bunch, some are very bright and there is a lot of potential there but so many end up going the way of the parents. We've never really dealt with that issue effectively. But that's another story for another thread. Just want to add that many inner city families are solid as a rock and give their kids a great foundation amid challenging circumstances and hats off to the mothers and grandmothers. Some amazing women there.

Where did I say the locals were racist for wanting to use Baggot St. Hospital exactly?

Again conflating an ENCAMPMENT with regular hygienic and safe and dry accommodation .

For what reason ? think you know the difference kaiser .

But you go and eat your popcorn ...

Yeah pity he didn't put as much effort into his legislation when he was MoJ .

Maybe he wouldn't have got the boot !

• Advertisement

Let me tell you, converting large tracts of infrastructure to house migrants is not going to wash in this environment.

The optics of going to lengths never gone to before to house non irish people, while their own housing crisis is treated with the urgency of a snail, just looks terrible.

Were they to take that hospital, put money into to it and rapidly turn it around into acceptable, temporary, cheap but liveable accommodation exclusively for irish citizens, some form of basic social housing that could be used for some years so as the people ould actually save some money while working to escape the trap, now you'd be talking good optics.

But doing the opposite is oooooooooWEEEEEEEEE, that's some fire stoking stuff right there.

Somebody better get a grip on this spiralling situation like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Nice to know I've a Boards.ie stalker...…

3 elections. 2011, 2016 & 2020. 1st preference to local FG candidate each time.

Not sure who I'll vote for next time. Most likely whoever I perceive to be the best of a bad lot. FG guy I voted for in the past is not running in next general election. Politics is very fractured now in Ireland. Don't think the average Joe/Jane are well represented. But then, I won't be running for election either so I'll have to choose my poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Iwana besick is being simplistic here. The Baggot street hospital is not suitable for housing. It's a cheap shot, cycling down on her cargo bike, to get photographed beside the tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

where was Ivana Bacik all the years when homeless men and women were in tents along the canal ? I saw them there at Portobello bridge myself and no one gave a toss then

She wasn't going to be upstaged by Aodhán Ó Ríordáin walking through the tents at Mount Street…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,194 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

right well you were just saying the permanently unemployed could be doing some of the low level jobs we have been needing immigrants to do, but you must know yourself that these people are incapable of holding down a job, anyway we're going off course here.

The optics are terrible. Creating accommodation for non-irish people, while doing sweet fukk all for irish people in the worst housing crisis ever known is just beyond words.

Not only are the optics terrible, the practicality is even worse. Were they to repurpose yet another large piece of infrastructure, it will be filled overnight, and the next morning another migrant camp will appear. The epitome of fruitless.

Looks terrible, is terrible.

Advertisement