Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

She/ They/ It were giving some quare dirty looks whilst waiting on the votes last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The Eurovision has always been ridiculous and camp.

I think it started out genuinely as a song contest. Eastern Europe then turned it into a bit of 'wtf' and then everyone embraced that, camped it up and here we are. Perfectly cool and great in its own right even. Fire Saga!

But let's not get carried away and try to make it something that it isn't. It's entertainment and it's fun and it's ridiculous fun and thats great. But its not great and its not art and its not song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Funny that it won a public vote on the song alone with very amateur staging and no spectacle.

I think the song is fantastic, very unique and catchy with a fusion of genres, I love the lower jazz part and the contrast with the screaming. Bambie's vocals are really strong as well, their version of Zombie was incredible. It's the exact kind of music that isn't normally heard in the mainstream but I think people find refreshing and interesting.

But the reality is there's a lot of old folks out of touch with modern music and unfortunately feel the need to denigrate and dismiss the more experimental acts as gimmicky and "not real music".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If you went to a theatre or performing arts club for teenagers and young adults in 2024 I think you might be shocked if you're expecting most of them to not be some form of LGBTQ+

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Empirical statements are above political considerations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just looking back at the history of Ireland in the Eurovision. I knew it was bad this century but I didn't realise how bad it was. Just 2 single digit finishes in the final. One of those was in 2000 (6th) and the other was Jedward (8th). As someone who's old enough to remember the string of victories in the early 90s that's pathetic.

I reckon Bambi Thug will set a new record for the best finish this century anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wouldn't she be well within her right to call for the release of people she knows.

She may not, her bigger mission is to survive and get home instead of being Palestine, douze point, ala Munich Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

1.4M views now bambi's song has from semi final 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭squonk

thanks @Downlinz That’s exactly it. I’m heading for 50 and love music but at this point am not naturally down with what the kids are listening to. We’re also in a little bubble in this part of Europe and aren’t down with get the continent are listening to either. It’s only when you spend some time in the continent and hear some if the stuff they are listening to do you realise how different things are in some ways. We’re also a big goo cool for Eurovision here too. This were maybe different when it was a 12 or 20 country competition largely based around Western Europe.

Stuff like Eurivision kind of resets me a little every year to keep up with what’s current. I mightn’t love some of it but it’s better than listening to older stuff over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But the reality is there's a lot of old folks out of touch with modern music and unfortunately feel the need to denigrate and dismiss the more experimental acts as gimmicky and "not real music". 

Of course you're entitled to your opinion that any criticism is old folks being out of touch and denigrating, but you think this is modern music and experimental? Maybe Avantgarde even? And it is beyond criticism?

If you think that I have news for you. We learned about this on the Late Late. No exactly a hotbed for the latest hardcore underground trends is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have to say not my kind of music but the spectacle was very well done. I suspect she has a decent voice but that song is very screechy to me so really can't tell if she has a talented voice or not…all the same hope she goes on to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Ahhhh, now we are getting to the core of your distaste

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

yep. I agree with this comment. I too don’t like the song but there’s a real message in the song and performance has me watched it embarrassingly 100 + times since last night.

I’ve too watched the reaction videos from multiple countries and they’re taken aback with the originality and centimetre perfection of every angle of camera work on the spectacle of the entire performance.

I really don’t think I’ve ever really looked forward to a Eurovision Song Contest before this but this year I’ll be tuned in with the kids on tender hooks. We actually could rank top or win it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very strong song and Bambi really impressed last night in Malmo and finally got us into the finals again - this is easily Ireland's best Eurovision entry in many years - and I think it's a contender for the top spot on Saturday.

The audience loved Doomsday Blue and Bambi's performance last night, surely a good sign.

I liked Ukraine's song (apart from the stupid rap part) and Portugal, Germany and Serbia were also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jedward coming 8th overall was proof in my mind that we Irish are just a bunch of sore losers and there's no bias against us at Eurovision. Imo people of Europe want to vote for us, we just have to throw them a bone by not sending them total dross. Even hearing the original poor audio RTE studio performance of "Doomsday blue", I immediately thought "this isn't my cup of tea but it's that bone they're looking for, it's something for the people of Europe to vote for and will qualify for sure".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

As of 3.30pm. Bambi Thugs Eurovision video has 1.5 million views and is currently #1 on Trending.

If she can stay off Twitter, and not react to negative comments, this momentum will sustain until Finals night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,836 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bambi Thug was actually a thing before the Late Late Show. I remember my missus showing me the video to Egregore last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I suppose they would be the same looks you would give whilst waiting to see how the prize heifer does in the Mart on Wednesday night. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I cannot unsee or unhear what I saw and heard last night.

It was desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It must be on track to be the most viewed Irish entry on YT in the last 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Crown the Witch" is a great slogan to sign off on / tag for trending.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭squonk

Scott Mills playing Cha Cha Cha at the moment. I know Loreen won but this is a total banger and makes Loreen’s song sound quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

To win I think you've gotta have a good act (which we do) combined with a catchy song (which we don't). I'm not so sure about the story or the message or whatever else people are going on about. Most viewers/ voters will see it for three minutes along with a bunch of other eye catching acts with songs they can relate to. Some of the other songs last night were a bit naff and likely more tonight but there will be stiff competition on Sat. What order we appear in could be telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,836 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you strip away the distortion in a lot of the song, the actual chorus of Doomsday Blue with normal vocals is actually fairly melodic and catchy IMO.

Edit - had a look at the actual song on Spotify and from 1:30 to 2:30 you have normal straight up singing and melody. In a 3 minute song that's actually a fairly big oul chunk 😁

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

good job it didn’t qualify for the final too….

She might share the same name as Bjork, but the song was just rubbish…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The more I listen to both, the more "Doomsday Blue" is sounding like the better song to me. Hopefully the voters have the same reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes it is as far as I know except river dance 🕺 although that was an interval act not a competing song

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement