Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

On another note, the Oak seems to be budding maginally ahead of the Ash locally this year, but with die-back it's hard to tell. Here's hoping for a fine summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭green daries

I think she's been turning more to a greener more make believe angle for a while now 🤔 ever since she gave up on the partnership arrangement she seems to have a chip on her shoulder

You now have to have all the high cost facilities and feed machinery calf rearing facilities etc and follow the ever tightening circle of regs. Ti's some laugh apologies this should have quoted simas post

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Beauty never boiled the pot.

Does grass-fed make the milk or butter taste better? If it doesn't, then all you have is a clever catchphrase which might get consumers to buy your product in the first place. But they won't buy it a second time if it costs more than the generic brand and tastes the same.

There's a few exceptions like Dairygold, Baileys, Guinness, etc. but most products that ask for a premium need to taste different/better than the cheaper rivals.

It's the same for PGI labels on Irish beef. It's exactly the same animal but Bord Bia think sticking a PGI label on a lump of sirloin will somehow make it taste better. It might the first time a consumer tries it as they try to convince themselves paying extra was worth it, but will the masses buy it a second time?

Grass-fed, PGI, Origin Green, etc. are more like 3-card tricks than any attempt to really differentiate Irish dairy and beef.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

There's plenty research behind grass fed and omega 3s, 6s and 9s, CLAs etc and their subsequent effects on human health.

You also have the source of the diet and its sustainability and environmental impact, if the consumer or authorities are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

I was more commenting on her general carry on on countrywide and her airy fairiness and lack of knowledge of real farming. In other words, where you are depending on your farm as an income

I know that and you know that but do most people care?

There has to be traceability obviously, but the point I'm making is that we produce commodities. Additional paperwork to generate a new label doesn't change the taste or differentiate those commodities from niche products.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

They do deferentiate our product. Grass fed butter is a softer more yellow and world wide recognised better tasting product, and commands a better price any world shelf it's on.We don't make butter outside of grazing months.

PGI status gives credibility to a system of a product. It exists across many food items from many corners of Europe.

All buyers, including commodity buyers buy on the basis of credibilty of the accreditation on the item. No accreditation, no sale. Wise up to that.

You have 2 choices when it comes to accreditation, either your own (in this case Origin Green) or the buyer will do it.

The 3 card tricks you diss at are the reason your product leaves the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Bang on!

Every bit of accreditation etc that you can add to your product helps to differentiate it from competitors..however those ‘claims’ need to be beyond reproach.
    It doesn’t matter a jot to milk powder destined for the Sahel, but for premium markets like the EU & US, it’s very important and false claims only undermine the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

If you churn butter in summer months its easy to understand the cows are out on pasture. However for beef, the product is made for the lifetime of animal, winter and summer so its difficult to see how the grass fed thing can be ensured. The description has a few get out clauses it acknowledges that upto 10% of feed can be maize or other feeds. Also the winter period is 145 days +40 in difficult weather conditions. Also doing a lot of heavy lifting is assuming that silage is 100% grass crop. The benefit of true grass fed or hay fed is that the animal can discriminate good grass from poor quality weeds or ensiled foreign material. The precision chop silage doesnt allow this distinction, so hence an attempt to have good grazing for the animal to be content ends up not being possible as there is inclusion of no so palatable materials.

Grass fed is replaced in Germany with a much more comprehensive hay&grass fed mark (heumilch) no silage! There as animals most be fed on grass or dried hay, the intake is much more possible to for animal to only consume healthy grass and secondly it immediately eliminates the possibility of maize.. I think the irish designation is lower value and too open to abuse and the type of smart consumer who is willing to pay for it will be hoodwinked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Environmental regs are enforced here since the 80’s.
    Eu regs are some of the most stringent in the world, but Australasia and the Americas couldn’t give a damn unless there’s a chance of a lucrative class action.
    Therefore if the market for dairy rockets it’ll be filled by those countries.

Saint-Gobain, a French multinational open a new factory in the US when they need to manufacture some truly horrible stuff..because they wouldn’t have a hope in hell of getting permission in the EU.

Google St-Gobain and PFAS gives a good idea of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I know we drink the milk at home when the cows go to grass, but not when housed.. I find there's a taste off it when silage in the diet.. but I'm probably just a fussy eater.

And that's why we get paid the best price in Europe for them too, is it?

I'm not saying accreditation isn't needed or anything of the sort, but the industry line of it leading to premiums for farm-gate prices doesn't stack up. It's up there with our Dept being the best in Europe coz they get some direct payment monies out in October.

Fair enough, I don't listen to CountryWide and I'll take the liberty of reserving my personal opinion of her. It just gets my goat when people don't address the issues in question not to mind the personal stuff when it's obvious they don't really know the people or the situation. This can be an awful country for absolute bullshite rumour mongering about any kind of a negative story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There's a good few going 100 % bales but changing the way they approach fertilizer as well. They put 25 units or whatever over the whole farm and just cut anything approaching 40 days.they then pu5 on 25 units again and couple thousand gallons of watery slurry and off you go again.your constantly cutting but it's at 6 balish stage rather than having normal 1 st cut at 10 bales or whatever and strong paddocks at 4 bale stage.it builds in great flexibility and seems to get great value out of fert and slurry and the grass greens up quick after cutting.if you can mow and move bales yourself and let contractor bale and rake it isnt an expensive way to run.you end with a bank of great silage, spread your weather risk,applying less nitrogen,cows very well fed on grass and lots of flexibility and a good work spread. The bale shear has made it alot more feasible.i m not operating this way myself but anyone that's doing seems to going well and it shows that a small bit of tweaking can change things alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The government/agri meat businesses wanted as much beef as possible labeled as grass fed. That is why the lifetime grassfed status was used. The majority of finishers who use grass and grass silage wanted a more targeted PGI.

The PGI was very unfair on them as there is no premium going to be paid on all the beef. I slaughter off grass mainly, stores are usually about 12+ months on the farm. On average they get about 200kgs per head of a ration to get suitable flesh and fat cover on them.

However as I am a small operator I will recieve less than a feedlot operators where the animal will eat very little in the way of grass or silage for the last 60-100 days.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

bales are a nessecary evil but to go all bales is huge expense if u cost everything ….fusion bale with film and no plastic now guts of 10 euro/bale …add plastic ,mowing ,tedding ,raking hauling and stacking your onto big figures ….my Milker silage is all bales and dry cow silage is pitted …..there would be no bales if I had another long narrow pit and a contractor with a wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looking for milk "up north" now.

We've gone from "oh this is great everyone is getting into cows" to " there's too many cows in the country. We need an exit scheme" to "oh sh1t. Phuck we are back 20% on milk supply. What do we do now?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A week after they say they're not going to the ploughing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

How much is weather related, and how much regulations and costs.

Has supply peaked for ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

100%

The cut to 220 has made sure of it.

Add in ridiculous prices for rented land, dear energy, meal, fertiliser, contractors and fuel and a shortage of labour.

The fellas mad to expand in 2014 are all ten years older and the majority of the young people aren’t interested in milking cows

And abysmal weather too.

well peaked ….regulation …red tape lack of reliable labour /lack of successor …bullshit 😀and lads just fed up ….there’s easier ways of making money now if a lad wants and every parish still has a hungry hole willing to blow everyone out of it to lease a bit of land …..block of land near me made 570/acre recently taken by dairy farmer who dose a lot of z grazing

Definitely peaked whatever about maintaining a higher figure than last year .. I reckon it's more financially related than weather related myself......

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

If all of you had the chance to live your lives again would many of ye bother going dairy farming? As said above there’s easier/better ways to make money than milking cows. Price of renting and buying land makes it very hard for existing farmers to expand and the cost of labour and lack of it’s availability also makes it unpractical

Jesus christ that's mental money I don't care what they think therecapable of knocking out of it.

absolute madness ….beyond me how lads giving this sort of money can justify it ….

I hate them myself but the point is if you take 75 units for typical 1 st cut that feeds the acre for 8 weeks.but if you spread it in this system the 75 units feeds the ground for up to 18 weeks.i repeat I m not practicing it and don't know the full details but that's the gist. Most mow,no tedding and contractor rakes and bales and you move yourself so the cost s under some control.

Ah yeah not that I would think that way every day.waited almost 30 years to get going right and I've worked at other thing so I know work outside the gate is not easy either

• Advertisement

No I don't think I would I wouldn't change my youth and being able to work with and help out my father and relations but I think I would be as happy now in another occupation as I am now farming without as much work and hardship by times ( yes i know large parts of the hardship are self inflicted. 😄)

Advertisement