Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-bed+family room in Drumnigh Manor or 3-bed in Cherrylane

Options
  • 02-02-2024 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Considering buying a new build but confused between the above two developments. Both have their pros and cons, just want to get an opinion on these two.

Which one would you go for?

A 3 bed with a large family room(157sqm), terraced house is for 675k in Drumnigh manor Portmarnock (Dart connectivity but is a 20 walk at present, could be quicker once the exisiting pedestrian bridge opens up, coastal area, Portmarnock, Malahide, Howth all nearby)

OR

A 3 bed(127sqm), terraced house for 700k in Cherrylane, Cherrywood. (South dublin and Luas would be less than 5-6 min walk away, beach and mountains nearby)

So it's basically a bigger house in Portmarnock vs Owning a house in South Dublin.

Just want to know opinions on Drumnigh Manor and the area as I've always lived in the south so not sure

Thanks!

Post edited by mr_ak on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Location, location, location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

So many factors to consider, other than just location - do you have children? Will anyone be working from home?

If so the bigger house with more space and a seperate study would probably suit best.

If not, or you don't plan for those events in the near future, the smaller house might suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tribbiani

South Dublin is always better I guess if you look at resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

Things to consider if I were you :

a) Dart is much less reliable than luas

b) Is your work location Luas accessible or dart accessible

c) Did you read into the majority of area being constructed near sea are in D13 are in flood plane ? Example of last flood (https://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/pf_report/?X=7060620.998901808&Y=-683862.7345095243) , (Builders do find a way to bypass these obviously in planning )

d) On the flip side I would prefer Drumnigh manor over Parkside if D13 was my destination just because of lower density of housing

e) Cherrylane is expensive for sure and a new design which means no one knows how they will pan out in future , also I think it will be a construction site for next 5 years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rowantree18

Cherrywood is basically a "new area" of Sandyford, it's absolutely massive - tons of houses. Lots of social housing going in there. I'd consider Portmarnock much more "established". I'd feel the north/south thing is fading out and it's really coast versus west Dublin - most places on the Dart are good (a few exceptions). As for beach and mountains - I think most people living in south Dublin don't realise how stunning Portmarnock beach is. Malahide and Howth in close proximity, the Cooleys for higher hills, Mournes not too far, Airport close. Lot of pluses. But if you're he'll bent on south - you could still just about afford Greystones on that budget and it's an extension of south Dublin in reality.....(I love it though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Your head would be wrecked with the noise from aircraft in Drumnigh. Pay it a visit and sit in your car for an hour. Honestly you can't even sit out your back garden and enjoy a chat with someone. You've to pause every time an aircraft takes off/lands and you only have to look at the Dublin Airport Departures web page to see how often that is. They turn over quite a lot and I assume that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mr_ak

I did visit Drumigh Manor and spent some time there. The noise was considerable but didn't bother me much. I liked that the houses were spacious and we get to do some customizations in the kitchen and wardrobes.

But the development looked kind of isolated and not very well connected. The dart station would be 1.5km from the house I'm looking at if the pedestrian bridge doesn't open. The nearest bus stop is also more than 1km from the house. Given this development doesn't have basics like shops, bus stops etc really close by and yet there are people buying houses there ranging from 600k-1M, there has to be a solid reason.

@rowantree18 Portmarnock Beach is beautiful, Malahide and Howth are close by. The airport being so close is a huge plus(but that also brings a lot of plane noise)Just want to make sure these houses hold their value in the coming time. I might sell in the next 5-6 years.

I don't have to worry about all this stuff if I choose to buy in Cherrylane. The negatives there would be different like social housing, construction in the nearby areas for years to come, more and more apartments(in place of some of the planned retail units), houses are really expensive already so not sure how that will work in the next 5-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They're some big numbers for the locations. Have you tried looking to see what you could get price wise in older more established estates that aren't new builds?

Yes, I wanted to go for a second-hand house in south Dublin but nothing that fits my budget and requirements seems to be on the market right now. I noticed the number of new listings recently has gone down in January.

Maybe more would come on the market by the end of February or later in springtime? There were a couple of options around October or November last year but at that time I was looking for apartments but recently decided to go for a house. My situation right now is such that if I don't buy in the next month or so I would have to wait another 4-5 months and I don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're willing to go as south as Cherrywood, have you thought of maybe pushing your search a little further south with Bray/Shankill?

I'd say you'd get a bit more bang for your buck on a 700,000 budget in Bray. Far more established areas so you know what you'll be dealing with and not quite as soulless as that new Cherrywood development is right now.

You'd also be closer to the Southside of Dublin than if you bought out in Portmarnock.

I did look at them as well, but not many options, in fact 2-3 in total in Shankill and Bray. I didn't quite fancy those houses; they weren't what I'm after. So, I started thinking about going for a new build in South Dublin, but as you can see, the houses are crazy expensive for the size they're offering.

Guess I could just wait for more houses to come on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

I lived in Leoprdstown and then bought in Drumnigh Manor, originally from D5 so it is closer to home. But without a doubt, it was a better move.

You're at the very edge of Portmanock but it's only a quick spin around to the village or the beach which is amazing. Also, it's not a far drive to Howth or Malahide. The other end of Portmanock is older and more established, there are a few sites around us to the east and north being developed. That bridge should open in a year or two and it would be a short walk for people at the rear of the estate.

Picking Cherrywood because it's South Dublin is pretty mad, Cherrywood is a bleak place of infill with absolutely no established areas, far from what people think of when you say South Dublin. I thought getting the luas past Central Park was mad enough but imagine going all the way up to Carrickmines for another 15 mins to Brides Glen. Well over an hour to the city center.

This helps, thanks! Could you tell more about the houses and the development? How do you feel living there? Any social housing in the estate?

Do you feel like you need to drive too far to get basic things? I know there’s a lidl around 2 km away but are there good options for cafes, restaurants, shopping stores etc within the 2-3km range?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

That was something we were worried about, we bought during covid so it was hard to even do a viewing let alone check for any trouble.

Luckily it hasn’t been an issue at all, there is no bulk of social housing. Maybe there are some peppered in the estate but I couldn’t pick out one. There is a great community feel and if you had young kids then there are many at the same stage.

In regard to cafes and that there are a few in Portmarnock village. We’d often go to Sutton or Howth and of course Malahide up the road. Around the train station there has been a lot of developments, plenty of new folk in Portmarnock and it’s all very peaceful save for the traffic.

We tend to shop in the Lidl or Aldi in bayside. You also have the big Tesco at Clare hall which is a bit more lively and Dunnes at Donaghmede. Much older areas that may look at bit tired to some but full of mostly decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 selminda

Hi @mr_ak,

Hope you are happy with your house if you bought one.

I am in the same situation as you. Which house did you decide to go with?

I have two options like you; one of them is Cherrylane and the other one is Skylark. Since two different locations, amenities, commuting, amount of social housing etc., I cannot decide which house I need to go with. If you share your experience with me during this process, it can be a light of my way as well cause I got lost.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, @selminda I booked the one in Drumnigh Manor but didn't go with it either. Found a second-hand house around the area where I currently live so that suited me best. But I would go with Skylark over Cherrylane any day.

I feel the Cherrylane houses are way overpriced for the area and they're not even building all that was promised, mostly apartments! so it's a letdown

Did you get the viewing email for the next phase of Skylark already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 selminda

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I haven't got the viewing e-mail yet but I have for Cherrylane. Before I book the one, I'd like to know the neighborhood so that I choose the optimum location for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Cherrywood will be a building site for a while yet but the plans are pretty impressive and seems like it would be great for young families. The parks that have recently opened are really nice. Proximity to Luas, N11 and M50 very good for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Is there a lot of social housing or just the standard 10%?

Any sign of the new shopping centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Not sure on social housing but would be very surprised if it's more than 10% in the likes of Cherry Lane, Mercer Vale, Domville given the prices they're going for. As far as I know most of the apartments are build to rent again aimed at the higher end. I think the big shopping centre is stuck in planning at the moment due to amendments but Quintain got planning for a smaller village centre late last year and seem to have started some work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Portmarnock's a far nicer area, you'll have the same connectivity (7 mins I believe) once that landbridge is built and you're getting a much better house. No brainer imo, as long as the aeroplane noise doesn't affect you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Is there anyone on here that can give me an idea of how noisy the mid terraced houses might be - as in can you hear the neighbours through the walls of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

do you know Dublin? Sandyford is an awfully long way from Cherrywood which is much closer to Loughlinstown, Cabinteely, Ballybrack or Shankill than Sandyford (whether the industrial estate within M50 or the actual Sandyford village outside it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Portmarnock. Cherrywood is in the middle of suburbia. Drumnigh Manor you can walk to the beach.

I live in St Marnocks Bay about 1m as the crow flies from Drumnigh, the airplane sound aint so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Cherrywood is a 5 minute drive to Killiney beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Advertisement