Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah its very harsh to put any real judgment on what someone does in a few minutes here and there off the bench in a dysfunctional Ireland team. Without having seen much of him in Italy, I'd leave him as a '?' for now. But he's played 1600+ Serie A minutes this season… the mere fact he's even actively playing in a top league means he's not to be sniffed at given our talent pool though.

Looking at the lad who's taken his spot at Udinese, seems he's much more of a regular orthodox fullback, whereas obviously Ebosele is more of a true wingback, bordering on winger. Makes sense for a new manager to shore things up and err on the side of caution in his selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ehizibue is normally their first choice RWB anyway but had ligament reconstruction surgery just under 12 months ago so missed the first few months of the season. Hopefully Cannavaro being one of the best defenders in his day he can improve that side of Festy's game.

Last Udinese coach or could have been the guy before him. Not sure as they dispose of coaches like Watford do. His defensive side of things was highlighted as a weakness though when you try convert a winger into a defender it is no surprise. Ehizibue came off hurt at the weekend so Festy might get back in for Mondays game against Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

Posts like this are absolutely ridiculous. He’s a professional footballer, playing in Serie A, a top 5 league. Putting him in the top 1% of all defenders in the world.

But someone who probably has 3 caps for the Dog and Duck says he can’t defend, when he quite literally plays professionally as a defender. Do you think clubs throw darts at TransferMrkt printouts to decide who they sign??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Millenic Alli has finished the season very strongly at Exeter. He was injured when he transferred in January. Only got his first start in April and finished with four goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hands up that's a fair enough critique of my post. It was a bit of a throwaway remark.

I still don't think he is going to be the answer at RB or RWB for Ireland long term but would be delighted to be proven wrong

• Advertisement

Think long term Ogbene would possibly be our best bet at RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you think Matt Doherty is a good defender?

Thats a bit of a bizarre OTT rebuttal.

No he’s absolutely terrible. What would Bohs, Wolves, Spurs, Atletico and multiple Ireland managers know about football.

No he’s absolutely terrible. What would Bohs(fair enough) Wolves, Spurs, Atletico and multiple Ireland managers know about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didn't ask about him as a footballer, I asked about his defending.

• Advertisement

He’s been signed and played as a defender for all of the above. Like Festy he’s in the top 1% of defenders in the world. He’s played 35 times this season for a premier league team that could easily finish in the top 10. He must be truly awful at defending………

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Trent Alexander Arnold is a bad defender.

Yes, he's in the top 1% but that's what I'm comparing him to when I say he's bad. There's no point just saying everyone is exceptional ffs. We take the top 5 leagues, or whatever, and the worst player in that group is shite in comparison to the others. Of course he's actually exceptional and way better than any poster here but that's not who he's being judged against.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

He is absolutely not a bad defender. He is asked to perform a role which leaves him open as the positives usually outweigh the negatives for Liverpool. He also gets no help from Salah, but Trent is well able to defend when he wants to.

Exactly, claiming an England international, vice-captain at one of the worlds biggest clubs, who’s won every domestic trophy available, as well as a Champions League, is a bad defender is absolutely comical.

He’s been in the Champions League team of the year twice, FIFA team of the season once, PFA team of the year three times.

Gotta love the Boards internet talent scouts. Surprised more clubs don’t hire from here. Boards would make a fortune brokering deals for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

travers starts again. Can he get 3 clean sheets in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Unfortunately playing away at Arsenal I can't see it. Somewhat massive game for him. Nobody is expecting anything from them but if Travers can perform could go a long way to winning back the number one jersey and even getting another Irish cap this June.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ElJaguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Szmodics bags a brace again Today, the man single handily kept Blackburn in the Championship this season.

Where will he be off to next though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'd argue he should stay where he is (unless moving for a big wage increase), as whatever they're doing at Blackburn has turned him into a better player than he has been previously, and he's unlikely to find the same setup to bring out the best in him if he moves.

That said, I don't expect him to hit numbers like this again next season even if he stays.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In fairness, Travers had a very good game though.

• Advertisement

Both him and Blackburn will be hoping he moves this summer. Szmodics turns 29 at the beginning of next season so his last chance to get a big contract and Blackburn are fucked financially.

Delighted to see Birmingham get relegated after they sacked Eustace, who had them fifth in the table for Wayne Rooney.

Alan Browne still hasn't signed a contract and some fans saying he's fallen out with the manager and will leave the club this summer after being there 10 years.

If Browne goes I hope either it's abroad or an unlikely move to a PL team. He has over 400 appearances for Preston and could easily break the club record in the next two years. I know it doesn't matter when you could double your salary though, but it would be a great feat.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Both Smodicz and Browne will move I think. The next contract will be their big paydays unless Blackburn and Preston stump up big time

He'll most likely get picked up by another championship team. Just turned 29 and with a ball of experience plus versatility I can see Luton trying to pick him up. Always felt Browne should have moved three years ago when his contract was coming to an end but maybe had no decent offers.

According to the PNE manager he's been offered the best contract in the history of PNE. Szmodics only signed a new contract just before Christmas so don't see Blackburn coming back to him with another new contract. They're probably hoping teams will throw cash at them for Szmodics but think his age and one good scoring season isn't gonna get them the money they'd be hoping for.

Millwall manager was asked about the absence of a couple of players (Obafemi being one):

Harris said: “All I’m going to say is I’m building a culture and an environment at the football club. The standards are set by Neil Harris and Millwall Football Club. These are standards that I expect players to adhere to. Players will only be involved at my football club, when I’m in charge, if they hit those standards. It’s all about culture and environment.”

“Michael has done brilliantly for us on loan and we’re really thankful for his efforts. He didn’t feature for us off the bench the other day he wasn’t going to feature today. I’d rather play our own players who have trained impeccably.

“And secondly, with Kevin, it’s a disciplinary matter about culture and standards. There’s no bigger problem moving forward. Kevin is a huge part of our football club moving forward. But it wasn’t right to involve him today so I went with the group that I did.”

On Obafemi, Harris added: “Michael was based around discipline but also around that we weren’t not going to look to sign him in the transfer window, so no need to include him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Am I right in saying that this is not the first time Obafemi's work/dedication has been called into question by a manager?

Believe Mark Hughes and Kenny were the only managers that probably didn't comment on his work/dedication. Hughes got the sack not long after Obafemi's debut and think Obafemi got injured a few games after his debut.

Sounds like Connolly could be leaving Hull too. Feel sorry for the lad as things were going good for him until Angus Gunn absolutely creamed him resulting in a bad concussion and shoulder injury. Since then struggled for minutes and fitness. Hull fans seem a bit upset that he might be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All gone so quiet on the manager front

Big relief for the FAI and maybe showing signs of 'public couldn't give a **** at this stage'

I doubt we'll hear anything until after the Euros (and/or when Georgia get knocked out after the first round).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hopefully someone is at least talking to Moyes. We can’t offer him the money he could get elsewhere, so it would be about selling him the story. He has plenty of cash, what we would give him is a fanbase who would adore him if he had even a modicum of success. And a great chance of qualifying for Euro 28.

As a Glaswegian, whose first club was Celtic, I think there’s a chance it would create a spark of interest in him, especially if we wants to move away from the hectic workload of premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I’ve a feeling Moyes will go to Scotland after the Euros and take over from Steve Clarke.

There's about as much chance as Klopp having an interest in being the next Ireland manager when he leaves Liverpool as their is David Moyes. If he ever goes into international management it's gonna be with Scotland.

Clarke is contracted up until 2026 and think he'll finish his contract out unless they move him on if Moyes is interested. They'll likely be second seeds for the WC qualifiers so should get a play off spot at minimum.

Connolly not the only one leaving Hull as they've just sacked their manager. Must have been a falling out behind the season's because Rosenior was doing a good job at Hull. Would hope the FAI suss him out about the job.

The feeling amongst my Scottish friends is that Clarke is done. Barring a phenomenal tournament, I think he’ll go after the Euros. And I think they’ll go out at the group stages again.

Edit: depending on the next few weeks Celtic could be interested in Moyes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is there talk of Rodgers leaving Celtic?

Moyes is on record saying he would fancy an International job.

Post edited by Xander10 on

Couldn't see Celtic touching Moyes. He'd surely want decent money and his style of play wouldn't be suited to a team that week in week will have teams putting ten men behind the ball. Think for Europe he'd actually do well but his style of play isn't suited to what Celtic will face week in week out.

Done as in the SFA are done with him or Clarke is looking to move on himself? Because this is another thing if they wait until after the Euros to find a manager. You'll probably have clubs and countries better off than us also looking at picking up new managers.

I think he has issues with the board since coming back. Plenty of money in the bank but wouldn’t back him in the transfer market. Think that if he decided he’d had it with them, they wouldn’t stand in his way.

• Advertisement

If Moyes is open to going into international football this summer the SFA would be foolish not to move for him before he finds a club job. Especially if things are iffy between them and Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rodgers is not leaving Celtic. No chance. They better back him better this summer though or perhaps he will go.

If he does go Ireland should find someone to help pay his salary and appoint him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

That issue has already been decided and Rodgers will be Celtic manager next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Rodgers won't be leaving Celtic this summer. He will be Celtic manager next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It’s nice to think about the likes of Rodgers or Moyes or others.

But does anyone think the FAI has the competency to 1) approach these type of people, and 2) actually convince them and get a deal over the line ?

I don’t think either would have any interest in Ireland. Moyes maybe, if overlooked by Scotland, Rodgers not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No. They don’t have the competency to convince any manager in that kind of bracket to take the job. They can’t offer the salary that would entice anyone near that level and it doesn’t appear that they can source funding from outsiders to help pay that salary.

It also appears that they have complicated the terms and conditions of the job but I think that that might actually just be a lot of waffle and smoke screening for the fact that they just can’t get themselves organised to agree on a candidate and then go ahead and actually make the appointment happen. Guys like Rodgers and Moyes aren’t even in the conversation.

From a salary perspective alone I dont think we could get Rogers or Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Rogers is on £3 million a year at Celtic or around 5 times as much as we're paying. Laughable to even suggest him.

Moyes was getting £5 million from West Ham. He has done a good job there and will be seen as a steady pair of hands by any mid-table/relegation threatened EPL outfit. Another one not even close to being in our universe.

You don't need competency. You just need money. But we haven't got that either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement