Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of Migrant checkpoints in Northern Ireland? - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Even if you see that as a small inconvenience, the thing is that when small inconveniences accumulate, they soon amount to a very big one. But even at that, how can any measure to police migration across the border via checkpoints be effective if it's only presenting "small inconveniences"?

For anyone who is from or knows the border regions well, you need far more than small inconveniences to effectively monitor (and actually apprehend) people crossing the border. The British couldn't do it when South Armagh was the most militarised zone in Western Europe so I really don't see how anyone thinks the Irish state is going to be capable of devising and resourcing an effective system without some really drastic measures that — even if they ever got beyond a PowerPoint presentation to the cabinet, which I doubt — would be vociferously opposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Aside from the education dig(I wasn’t aware both towns in the republic) I agree wholeheartedly with you, and in reality if we(as a nation) can’t check a passport at an airport/port how could we police a border.

This issue effects everyone in the country to some extent so I think it’s alright for people not living at the border to have some opinion at this stage - maybe direct that frustration towards your local representatives - I mean if we are saying 80-90% of all IPAs are coming over the border now many are staying around and not applying? If I was living at the border it’s question is certainly be asking.

That aside fielding this suggestion may be enough to get McEntee and CO to actually start doing something meaningful to sort it.

. ..

fully agree - and good point re the British army not being able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what would stop the IPA people claiming asylum at the hard border anyway?

• Advertisement

Nothing at all - but at least we’d have an idea how many illegal crossings we have in general - there’s absolutely a chance here that the IPA is the least of our worries. But I suppose that can be applied to any person crossing be them a citizen of the UK or Ireland or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭victor8600

Absolutely not in favour of border checks. They will be a nuisance and won't achieve anything. As others said, all an asylum seeker would say is that they are seeking asylum and now Ireland cannot send them back to the UK.

To the question of undocumented migrants. This is not something that Ireland can easily solve without the cooperation of other countries. 99.99% of migrants coming to Ireland had either already been processed in the UK or in some other European country. A person cannot just board a plane and come to Ireland without a valid document and a travel visa where needed. They have likely came to the UK on a student/tourist visa. Even a person that came on a boat from Libya, they first land somewhere in Italy, where their fingerprints and other biometrics are recorded. So practically every person coming into Ireland has a documentation trail, and so most of them could have been be identified relatively easily if Ireland has the access to relevant databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

The Brits would use this issue as a thin wedge to then say, see you can have a border in Ireland and rip up all the post Brexit work that went into not having a border on this island

And still do nothing about immigration

Agree with poster above, as I posted in other thread small changes at airports can resolve “oops no documentation” cases

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

But can the UK government legally restrict the movement of asylum-seekers to only certain part(s) of the UK? Actually I think you'll find the policy of the UK government is to distribute asylum-seekers fairly through all four administrations, so there'll always be a quota being processed in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

You don't need to have a "hard" border between Ireland and Northern Ireland to have strategic migrant checks.

US Border Patrol have a second line of checks, well inside the US to catch migrants who have entered the US. They're fairly unpopular with locals who are stopped on a daily basis of course, but are independent of the checks at the US/Mexico border itself.

Whether or not they'd serve any purpose though, depends on what problem you're trying to solve:

1. Undocumented migrants coming to the country and roaming freely?
    2. Migrants entering Ireland from a safe country where they should have first applied for asylum?

• Advertisement

yes and so let them put them where the like - the general free movement of non eu through the eu is bonkers to me.

I’m not certain this was what was intended when the free movement zone was thought up - obviously the Ireland UK zone is not the same as the Schengen zone but the same applies in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭20silkcut

yes checkpoints on main roads any where in the country would deter many migrants. In America you have state troopers outside the main sanctuary cities roaming the main interstates many miles away from any borders who have the power to arrest illegal migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It makes no difference to me. I live an hour from the border and I only travel south a couple of times a year if my county plays in Croke park. It isn't a place I would visit otherwise. If Casement park is built it would reduce my trips across the border even further.

I find this saga a bit strange, any other time when people complained about refugees they were accused of being hypocritical because of how many Irish people moved abroad in the past 200 years. Now the media is complaining about them? When people were rioting in Dublin last year they were accused of being racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Meanwhile a Mr Kim McMenamin is running in Buncrana on The Irish People ticket.

Curiously, there appears to be a namesake of his who got into a spot of bother with the Gardaí in 2021, defending himself with a letter purporting to be from the Pope.

'Gardai forced to smash man’s window after 160kph pursuit'

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/10/23/gardai-forced-to-smash-mans-window-after-160kph-pursuit/

'Donegal man gets letter from Pope for court defence'

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/07/04/donegal-man-gets-letter-from-pope-for-court-defence/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well, whatever about putting checkpoints on the border, I would be strongly in favour of stopping taxis ferrying people claiming asylum from Belfast etc to Dublin. There are enough reports of northern registered taxis dropping carloads of asylum seekers directly to Mount Street or O'Connell St. There are even videos of it on social media.

How to stop this, or at least stop the amount of it, charge the taxi drivers with people trafficking, impound their vehicles, and upon conviction if there is one, destroy their vehicle. Oh, and let their insurance companies know that the vehicle has been impounded as an investigation into suspected people trafficking. The same with minibuses etc. There was a Garda operation that was checking taxis coming from the North, but suprisingly enough, when McEntee came in that stopped. Along with an operation aimed at stopping sham marriages, surprisingly enough a number of prosecutions regarding that were stopped too. Anyway.

Now let's look at who's funding this? It's something that may concern a lot of people on here, Well maybe not the "NGO adjacent," but that may be a matter for a different day. Let's posit a hypothetical scenario, NGO A wants to bring more people in from everywhere and will do everything in it's power to do so. Now if NGO A, or it's representatives, directly paid for these northern registered taxis that would be people trafficking. But if they gave the price of the taxi journey to the asylum seekers wink wink and they paid the taxi with the money given to them by NGO A, or it's representatives, then that may not strictly be people trafficking in the legal sense. I'd definitely find something like this very concerning, but I'm sure nothing like this is happening here. Oh no, heaven forfend! Nothing to see here folks, move along now.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So the first taxi driver gets pulled over, the asylum seeker says he's claiming asylum and was not forced into the car. What's the guard to do? Zero laws have been broken.

I think people do not understand the difference between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.

Checks on the border could stop illegal immigrants but will do absolutely nothing about asylum seekers. Is there a issue with illegal immigrants crossing the border? I haven't heard anybody really mention it. All the focus seems to be on asylum seekers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You expect Taxi Drivers to check everyone's immigration status before letting them into the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

could we just cut off NI altogether ? We can throw in Cavan and Donegal as a sweetener in the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

How does the taxi man know if the person is going to claim asylum? Are you saying the taxi man should ask to see a passport of some kind? But what if the guy only has a foreign passport but does have a right to be here legally. Sure why not charge the Ryanair pilots with people trafficking. After all, they are the ones bringing them in to the country. Maybe we could set fire to the planes they use as well.

Another absolutely ludicrous statement. Do people say things through in their heads before they speak or type things out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Funny call me old fashioned I always thought it was technically a legal qualification to enter the state to provide identification, most specifically a passport if foreigner not coming from Britain.

Maybe we should all tell customs checks/garda checks at ports and airports to go fook themselves when they ask for our passports?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Well, seeing as you can't claim asylum in your own country you are going to end up in trouble that way.

Their right to enter is entirely conditional on the outcome of their application and significant restrictions are put on them during the process - those actually trying to enter illegally to work on the black market would be far better advised to never make themselves known in the first place. This has been the case since the setup of the Convention on Refugees, so if you want to take a very literal interpretation of your point, then you have always been technically wrong. The system clearly is not working as intended, but there are very, very obvious reasons why legal documentation is not a requirement to claim asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They understand alright, but it's an easy way to dehumanize and criminalise 'them' good way to sway public opinion and start a 'us Vs them ' narrative

If people want to have an open discussion about the issues of refugees and illegal migrants, both sides can't be just coming out with the usual sound bites (close/police the border vs we have to allow everyone one etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Let them all come down.

Its what the leftists want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Checkpoints will make no difference. We are being played like fools.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QZTpYUJHgVA?si=TyLNJJ37NeSfwpWT

The idea of claiming asylum, similar to uttering the words abracadabra, needs to just be stopped dead.

It is not magic. It does not grant you asylum, just the right to have your case heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like migrant checkpoints should be deployed on Dublin streets first. Tents are everywhere now.

It's still not going to stop asylum seekers. Do you really think illegal immigrants are crossing the border up north and then queueing to make themselves known to authorities? Seems to defeat their purpose of sneaking in.

Unless you don't know the difference between illegal migrants and asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Irish welfare for asylum seekers are very generous. Free accommodation, free food and cash every week. No wonder a lot of people abuse the system

• Advertisement

Still doesn't change the fact that illegal immigrants coming from the border up north (if they even are) would disappearing into the shadow economy and not heading to Dublin to sleep in a tent beside asylum seekers.

Advertisement