Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe then you should go and learn some .

Maybe if you read what people post you would not feel the need to be so confrontational .

I was agreeing with you on the 17 million but disagreeing over the value .

Anyway am not happy you were so rude(

(.no need for getting personal )

so will bid you goodnight .

My post just after yours 😐

They are THE WORST !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

We need to find out the absolute MINIMUM we HAVE to provide and do that. No medical cards, no expenses money, no money for sleeping in tents, no free education, no free dental, no food above and beyond the very bare minimum we have to provide. NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

“So it probably will be ditched again instead of rowing forward to create a really good economical accommodation in the city centre. “ and hostels do not belong in the same post - now decent bedsits I could get behind but 17mil for what really is a barracks with a nice sign and a bright color paint outside is not good, economical or even accommodation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think the government is using social media to figure out who they can imprison that doesn't agree with them.

They just pretend they are stupid.

Like waiting until a rapist rapes someone to check the EU rapist database to see if they were a rapist when they entered the country.

• Advertisement

Thomas , every country and city in the world has Hostel accommodation for tourists .

We have some very crvppy ones .

This could be something else given the lovely building .

There is a place for it whether used for refugees or tourists

I feel bad being on here. It's like I'm committing some kind of thought crime. It's like 1984. The novel, not the period in history with some decent pop music. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Astonishing to witness another level of complete utter clueless response to this unfolding crisis.

Was reported the Dept of Justice & other government depts were alerted well in advance that many illegal and or IPA's were arriving through NI. The UK's Rwanda style deal wasn't anything top secret, for what nearly 2 years the idea was broadcasted from Whitehall and yet our government incapable of been pro-active to all the warning signs completely ignored it.

So far this week,
    Attempts to move IPA folks onto other facilities a complete shambles resulting in tents reappearing around DC.
    Bribing IPA folk to stay clear from certain leafy areas of DC.
    Desperately checking every empty warehouse, building to accommodate the influx of people arriving in.
    Protests and huge anger from local rural areas taking in huge percent per ratio of IPAs in small communities.
    Government entering the private housing market, providing IPA accommodation.

Where's the leadership, planning, vision and communication from our minsters & top civil servants ?
    Reading over many posts suggesting accommodation capacity is the driving issue here, No it's creating accommodation including lack of deterrents are attracting many people over the border.
    It's a sad situation, nobody wins here especially when the issue isn't even declared a crisis to save face from those clinging onto power.

Imagine RoG and McAtee are feeling huge pressure, nothing I wish on anyone. They need to resign, or even muster up another approach to fix this crisis. Bumpy road ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see Td Michael McNamara is claiming he knows migrants who have come from the UK via agencies in the UK who are basically trafficking people here. They are told they will have work and are giving the IPO postcode. Crazy if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Sex offenders are placed on a sex offenders register. They are subjected to supervision. It only applies in countries where there is a sex offenders register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Employment rates for IPAs aren't specifically captured in Ireland. In place studies such as the ERSI one I've shared have looked at cohorts with known higher rates of IPAs, which indicate that the majority are employed.

Notably employment rates have increased significantly in line with improved access to the labour market.

This chapter has also presented a case study on African nationals and their labour
    market situation. While previous research found a higher unemployment rate
    among African nationals, the reasons for which were believed to be in part due to
    the length of time spent in the international protection system without access to
    work, new data indicate that the gap has now significantly decreased, with African
    nationals and Irish nationals on par for unemployment levels.

"The International Protection Office (IPO) takes the asylum applicant’s fingerprints, they are only checked against two databases, Eurodac and SIS, and neither is a criminal database."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No the Government and left loonies are calling anyone who disagrees with this blight as far right. Honest to god Irish people who care deeply for this country are now seeing it going down the shitter and they feel helpless. This blight is getting worse and worse and this government are doing absolutely **** all to stop it and in-fact making it worse.

This country has never needed a general election as bad as we need it now. Will a GE fix this mess? No, but they cannot perform as bad as what we see now.

The good thing is the Local and European elections are coming up, so voters will finally get this voice their opinion at the polling station and I hope we give this government some bloody nose

That's correct. But as I said sex offenders are registered and subject to supervision. In countries where sex offender registers exist. it's a totally different system.

We don't check ordinary criminal records for anyone entering the country, apart from visa holders.

Think we are better off listening to the music !

This thread is unrelentingly depressing and people are posting some very apocalyptic stuff ..some posts might be true , others are just nihilistic and scaremongering

A lot of middle ground people too but get squeezed into one camp or other by others who cannot accept that people may not be in one camp or the other .

It just goes round in circles though .

There are few solutions except change the government .afaics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭emo72

Food and shelter. Nothing else. That's it. If it's a tent in the Midlands so be it. Not many people can afford to live in a capital city in Western Europe. And that includes my kids, why the **** would an asylum seeker expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes, I saw that. Crazy stuff.

I also read on x that immigrants are seeking asylum in the UK, claiming benefits they are entitled to, then getting the ferry to Northern Ireland, and travelling to Dublin where they lodge a separate claim for asylum and obtain benefits too and then back to UK to sign on and on and on l...

Now there is no evidence that this is taking place, it may be just X hyperbole but we know welfare tourism exists. I wouldn't have any faith in both welfare systems collaborating to mitigate against the risk of double claims, especially when immigrants are ripping up their IDs.

Just another problem that may need to be considered- and yes, I'm well aware that some Irish people are guilty of scams too but as I always say, we have enough of our own idiots to deal with we don't need anymore.

17 million for 300 bunk beds is not value for money in any way shape or form. Not for our homeless, students or tourists. You are right though modular homes are not a solution really either - I’d suggest barracks accommodation in line with what is offered to enlisted service personal be erected and let that be the end of it with an element of detention while applications are being processed - to go hand in hand with speeding the application process up and removing /limiting appeals.

• Advertisement

It's on his YouTube channel, Simon went blah blah blah in response. And Helen seemed annoyed that anyone would dare ask a question in an almost empty dail.

Kind of reminded me of this ..

🤣🤣🤣

Oh, I'm not coming back to this thread anymore.

Bye !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There’s no point in looking for a change in government policy, it’s clear they are committed to increasing our population for some bizarre reason, It’s not some conspiracy theory, just look at Eamonn Ryan and Simon Coveneys statements.

There’s no turning off the tap at this stage, you will see tents all over Dublin by summer. No point in building more accommodation, it’ll just fill up and we’ll never catch up.
    There’s no political party I can think of voting for in the upcoming elections, certainly not Justin Barrets loopers, will probably vote independents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

The taoiseach said earlier to Michael McNamara "I accept your bona fides in raising an issue that is important."

What a strange comment.

What policies should they change though? they are not going to break the law. They are not going to back out of our ratification of the Geneva convention, so what policies should they change

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

Thread running for 1 year with thousands of posts but does it make any difference to govt policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭engineerws

Maybe implement a quota and change the laws, whatever laws need to be changed as I suggested previously.

Here's the most recent figures.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:fb0df131-1bc4-4d15-8512-41ed28e4632f

It seems like a bit of an issue when people are camping along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Harris goose is cooked over this. His first real challenge and he is handling it abysmally preferring to be playing his state diplomat role on the International stage instead of properly handling an escalating domestic crisis. That's before we get to the ructions in his constituency. The locals and Europeans will finish him.

And tbf, it was not the smartest move he made whatsoever taking up the Taoiseach role at this time. Awful judgement, his eagerness for it says it all about his competency.

It was the easiest leadership race he could have had because the wiser heads didn't want to be near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Teetered on the 50% line for three of those six years, with significant confidence intervals to boot. I have a suspicion the figure for 2022 is impacted by visas issued, the number issued to African nationals jumped massively that year. Report’s authors don’t seem to be going all in on the access theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Any new Polls out for May yet? I wonder if the rise of the independents is continuing at pace.

Independents could well be the 2nd largest party by first vote preference soon, maybe even bearing down on number 1 by year end.

A sobering thought, but it is the way the wind is blowing.

Advertisement