Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

A lad near me had an acres inspection last november.He has geese and swans option in his plan .Had a bull out on this plot on inspection so a penalty is been applied by dept as no stock allowed from oct 1st in geese and swans option plots.Doesnt know yet what his penalty will be .No acres payment as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes as we are in CP. and will get paid on common age . Hoping to get about e7,000. And I stress hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

New to this scheme and famring , where do you stand with diggers on the lands clearing drains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure, check with your advisor, before doing any works like that. Clearing old drains would probably be different than open new ones. Also would be important to see if they are marked as waterways on the maps. Doubt if you could interfere with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I was on to my CP coordinators last week about NPIs and I was told not to expect them to be signed of til at least June.

i need to fence now but told I won’t get paid if it’s done before being signed off. Pure disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If that’s what this year’s tranche is like, next year’s isn’t going to be great either (allot didn’t apply this round). Is it the Dept OT system or is it a shortage of funding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

No shortage of funding- they were all able get new big jeeps.

from speaking to my local TD- he said the computer system wasn’t upgraded to take the extra crowd. And it’s months behind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I am looking for any advice on planting a winter bird seed mix. How to plant. Cost of seed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kral101

From memory, if existing drains are blocked they can be cleaned with minimal disturbance to vegetation and soil cover. As far as I'm aware no new drains or any new drainage allowed. Best to confirm with advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Austinbrick

Would that include mole ploughing? Is it allowed in Acres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Kral101

I would assume that mole ploughing would be considered as drainage and therefore not allowed. But to be 100% sure better to get it confirmed by one of the acres team. I'm not doing any mole ploughing for that reason. Hoping to get existing drains cleaned up later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Tileman

only got word yesterday formally that I am in acers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gerryrossie

Any word on the balancing payment hitting accounts in May like the Glas scheme??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Planner said today that he's doubtful June (which is what they said) will happen.

So no hope of May.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are round 2 mail gone out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm a bit late as usual but this is a great tool for planting slips or small trees, I picked it up at a market a few years back buy I was really grateful to it this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

This February I used a crowbar to make a hole for the whitethorn quicks and packed the sides with a few foot stomps. What I planted is thriving and have grown at least 12" in the last 6 weeks. I did put the quicks in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting and I believe that this also benefited the roots.

We used to call that a grubber. Maybe known by different names elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Down thus end of the country it's a mathook, also used for cleaning growth out of narrow surface drains, and "settling up" potato ridges whether after a plough or spade dug.

A grubber here has that bit plus an axe sticking out the other side for thick roots.

S.Kerry/W.Cork.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

An adze (/ædz/) or adz is an ancient and versatile cutting tool similar to an axe but with the cutting edge perpendicular to the handle rather than parallel. Adzes have been used since the Stone Age. (from Google).

Every day is a schoolday. Difference between a mattock and a pickaxe.

https://www.careytools.com/products/pick-axe-and-cutter-mattock-set-2-piece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

So what's actually a mattock is what we'd call a grubber. I actually thought what I had in the photo was a mattock when in fact it is actually a grubber.

It's worse than ditches and dykes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We called it the grufan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Am in first tranche of ACRES, was chatting a neighbour yday who is also in it and a tractor went by with fertiliser spreader on it.Neighbours ground would be drier than mine and he was saying he had a few tonne of fertiliser put out already,I said it will take at least another few days drying for me to be able to get into the wetter spots.

He asked me if I had soil samples done yet and I said no and that I hadn't heard anything from planner about doing them. Neighbour said he had to get samples taken so as to know how much fertilser he could put out.

So I'm wondering did I miss a DEPT memo or do you definitely need soil samples done if in Acres before spreading any bag stuff this year?…….at least I've nothing spread yet!😅

Thanks for anyones thoughts.

Get onto to your planner, the planner sent a fellow out to take soil samples here about a month or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Soil samples were supposed to be done before 15th of May this year but due to the bad weather we now have until the 31st of December to get them done. I posted a link about it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Im also in first tranche of acres and the soil samples taken in national soil sampling scheme are sufficient .Soil sampling is a requirement of acres as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Ok thanks for filling me in,my planner who would normally be fairly on the ball never mentioned it to me.Every day is helping to soak out ground more so ideally I would like to get bag stuff out the middle of next week.

Ideally you should sample before nitrogen goes out…….I'm with Teagasc and am sure there's probably a backlog in getting samples done quickly.

Those of you with Teagasc……..did they send out a person to take the soil samples?……..or could you take the samples yourself and send them in?

Was talking to a neighbour yesterday evening who is with a private planner for ACRES.. I said to him I seemed to be behind the curve on this Soil Sampling craic.His private planner gave him the equipment to do his own sampling a few months ago and neighbour then got them sent off for analysis via his planner.

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

Was just looking through financial self services on agfood and under amounts owed it's stating I have to repay 5000 to the department, this was the acres flat payment everyone received. In the cp acres. Anyone else have this showing?

Advertisement