Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

Food and shelter. Nothing else. That's it. If it's a tent in the Midlands so be it. Not many people can afford to live in a capital city in Western Europe. And that includes my kids, why the **** would an asylum seeker expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes, I saw that. Crazy stuff.

I also read on x that immigrants are seeking asylum in the UK, claiming benefits they are entitled to, then getting the ferry to Northern Ireland, and travelling to Dublin where they lodge a separate claim for asylum and obtain benefits too and then back to UK to sign on and on and on l...

Now there is no evidence that this is taking place, it may be just X hyperbole but we know welfare tourism exists. I wouldn't have any faith in both welfare systems collaborating to mitigate against the risk of double claims, especially when immigrants are ripping up their IDs.

Just another problem that may need to be considered- and yes, I'm well aware that some Irish people are guilty of scams too but as I always say, we have enough of our own idiots to deal with we don't need anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

17 million for 300 bunk beds is not value for money in any way shape or form. Not for our homeless, students or tourists. You are right though modular homes are not a solution really either - I’d suggest barracks accommodation in line with what is offered to enlisted service personal be erected and let that be the end of it with an element of detention while applications are being processed - to go hand in hand with speeding the application process up and removing /limiting appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's on his YouTube channel, Simon went blah blah blah in response. And Helen seemed annoyed that anyone would dare ask a question in an almost empty dail.

Kind of reminded me of this ..

🤣🤣🤣

Oh, I'm not coming back to this thread anymore.

Bye !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

There’s no point in looking for a change in government policy, it’s clear they are committed to increasing our population for some bizarre reason, It’s not some conspiracy theory, just look at Eamonn Ryan and Simon Coveneys statements.

There’s no turning off the tap at this stage, you will see tents all over Dublin by summer. No point in building more accommodation, it’ll just fill up and we’ll never catch up.
    There’s no political party I can think of voting for in the upcoming elections, certainly not Justin Barrets loopers, will probably vote independents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

The taoiseach said earlier to Michael McNamara "I accept your bona fides in raising an issue that is important."

What a strange comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What policies should they change though? they are not going to break the law. They are not going to back out of our ratification of the Geneva convention, so what policies should they change

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭hello2020

Thread running for 1 year with thousands of posts but does it make any difference to govt policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Maybe implement a quota and change the laws, whatever laws need to be changed as I suggested previously.

Here's the most recent figures.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:fb0df131-1bc4-4d15-8512-41ed28e4632f

It seems like a bit of an issue when people are camping along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Harris goose is cooked over this. His first real challenge and he is handling it abysmally preferring to be playing his state diplomat role on the International stage instead of properly handling an escalating domestic crisis. That's before we get to the ructions in his constituency. The locals and Europeans will finish him.

And tbf, it was not the smartest move he made whatsoever taking up the Taoiseach role at this time. Awful judgement, his eagerness for it says it all about his competency.

It was the easiest leadership race he could have had because the wiser heads didn't want to be near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Teetered on the 50% line for three of those six years, with significant confidence intervals to boot. I have a suspicion the figure for 2022 is impacted by visas issued, the number issued to African nationals jumped massively that year. Report’s authors don’t seem to be going all in on the access theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Any new Polls out for May yet? I wonder if the rise of the independents is continuing at pace.

Independents could well be the 2nd largest party by first vote preference soon, maybe even bearing down on number 1 by year end.

A sobering thought, but it is the way the wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Consider adopting policies similar to those used in Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Great post. The fact he wanted to be leader in this situation tells all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's a sort of poetic justice about the timing all the same - It's the chickens heading back for a bit of a roost about now

We're not quite at peak cluster**** yet - it's at about 82% CF just as we're getting into the local/EU elections

By the time the GE comes about, I'd guess we'll be at roughly 93% cluster**** levels. It's difficult to understand the depths of stupidity that exists with these complete morons and their complete moron advisers. The day of reckoning was always going to arrive but the cretins left it to Q3 2023 before realising it was just around the corner and panic set in.

When the Greens insisted that they must be allowed to end the raging fire of direct provision (by turfing a load of petrol soaked, oily rags onto the fire) or they would not support the formation of a Govt in 2020, FFG knew it wouldn't end well deep down but took the 'be grand' approach.

I bolded the 'complete moron advisers' above because that's where I think a lot of the problems lie. Whatever about the politicians being morons, one would think that the advisers would be a bit more in touch/smarter but it seems they're just as thick - Here's a very simple example - Catherine Martin's adviser saw no problem with Catherine hanging RTE's Chair on live TV - That didn't go well in fairness and as sure as there's sh!te in a dog, he's still there on a nice wedge paid for by us

Schadenfreude - it's not as bad as it's made out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Remove every single benefit above and beyond our “obligations” would be a start.

Agree - The problem is they tend to reward friends, acquaintances and cronies into these roles and not people of proven ability with skills such as critical thinking, negotiation, leadership and policy experience.

Harris is the latest to make these mistakes surrounding himself right off the bat with media people. That tells me all I need to know. Very poor optics.

Same old politics. Irish politics needs a complete revamp and the culture around it needs to change. However the damage I fear has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Did I read that he appointed Chris O'Donoghue as an adviser.. my recollection of him was as the wimp that Ivan Yates used to mock on NT radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

No it’s not a bar to travelling or to claiming asylum, however it’s absolutely within our international obligations to outright refuse asylum. Gardai share certain information - but it’s limited on account of our opt-outs as shown in my post you replied to.

Helen McEntee in October ‘23;

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2023-10-25/138/

“Any and all criminal convictions are considered when processing an international protection application” - well that’s a lie, we do not check historic criminality, SIS II will inform if there’s an existing warrant from another EU country for the applicant, but if someone has served time in France for sexually predatory behaviour, Germany will refuse them asylum, but Ireland will welcome them, and feed, clothe and house them, and provide medical care and some spending money.

Also Helen;

“Any person being considered for a grant of status (refugee status, subsidiary protection or permission to remain) will have a character and conduct check (including checks for criminality) carried out in respect of them before any such status is conferred on them” - well, again an outright lie, however I imagine that’s due to ignorance or poor advice/advice with an agenda. No existing warrant does not equal no past serious criminality.

In the same debate, Helen says;

“In relation to persons seeking international protection who have committed a crime outside the state, this may or may not be material to their international protection claim.  If a person has committed a serious crime in their country of origin, this can form a basis for having them ‘excluded’ from being declared a refugee or from gaining subsidiary protection status in the State” - right, sounds sensible… but if there’s no checks…

Some links that clarify refusal of asylum - yes anyone can claim, but some can be denied immediately - all keeping within our ‘international obligations’.

https://freemovement.org.uk/briefing-can-criminals-be-denied-refugee-status/ https://asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/detention-asylum-seekers/legal-framework-detention/grounds-detention/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

You say the accommodation could have been done in nine months and the present crisis averted. The problem is that at best this would only have postponed the crisis as more migrants would still arrive and need to be housed.

Indeed if all the stops are pulled out to house migrants as they arrive then this only stimulates the arrival in greater numbers. Who wouldn't want to come to a country where housing and welfare are supplied upon (or shortly after) arrival and then, after a few months, working is permitted while still living in state-provided accommodation? This is better than what is offered EU citizens arriving here legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I wonder if it’s to do with all the build to rent apartments. I always wondered how so many could possibly afford those rents.
    I wonder if the government gave assurances that there would be sufficient long term demand. I can see of lot of these asylum seekers eventually being housed in the brand new builds with the government paying a substantial part if not all of the rent. Otherwise where is the long term market for so many apartments at sky high rent?

It’s time someone called out the Geneva convention. It was never intended for a situation like this. With cheap travel and social welfare, the world has changed completely since it was drafted.

The govt, Greens and NGOs have no problem calling out articles in our Constitution which they say are no longer appropriate and were written in and for a different era. Well what’s stopping them calling out “ our international obligations “ arising from the Geneva convention which is no longer fit for purpose.

Tents being moved right now in a visible "multi agency operation" along with coordinated media release.

Anyone guess where they'll end up next after the inevitable boomerang back from wherever?

I reckon they'll be back to the canal within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭rodders999

It’s Groundhog Day, they’re clearing tent city (again) this morning.

Don’t fire them in the skip this time lads, it’s a waste, there’ll be 100 more chancers along next week in need of them.

To paraphrase that famous line from Field of Dreams - if you house them, more will come.

Every couple of weeks or so it’s going to be a game of whack a mole, clear one site before another pops up down the road.

We’re an absolute laughing stock and clearly not serious about addressing the source of the problem. Farce!!!

I'm seeing that they are erecting barriers around the canal. Fck off.

The authorities are thick. Taking away a nice part of Dublin from the public because of this.

Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

I hope the greens get wiped out in the next election. Between Rodders the plonker and Catherine Martin they are like kids playing at politics.

Seriously, where is Roderick these days? Is there a personal reason for his disappearance?

As an aside, there was an asylum seeker interviewed on Pat Kenny’s show the other day. He had a Scottish accent. Still laughing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement