Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Anyone ever use the ESB chargers in Charlestown, mayo? I've a trip from Dublin to knock airport in a few weeks and ABRP is saying there are 200kw chargers in Charlestown, 4 of them. My car won't do 200kw but it sounds like a good charger!

Ideally charge on the way to airport rather than on the trip back when we are tired and just want to get home but either is an option.

Are they generally reliable and available? I can do the trip to knock and have 30/40% on arrival but won't get home without a 20 min charge or so. I've never used ABRP is it generally accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My experience of ABRP is that it was slightly pessimistic in good weather and I arrived with more battery than projected

Aside from that, it's generally very accurate

You can set preferences on networks if you'd prefer to use Ionity or Tesla networks, however I'm pretty sure there's no other hubs around that would be as convenient

The Ecars sites you're looking at is actually 2x 200kW units with two plugs each, making 4 charging spaces

If two cars are plugged into the same unit they'll get 100kW max each. I'm pretty sure those units can't intelligently split the load, if one side is pulling 50kW the other side is still limited to 100kW and not the remaining 150kW

As such, budget some extra time for charging than what ABRP gives, since it will always assume you're getting the maximum available power from the charger

It seems as good a location as you're going to get for charging near Knock, no risk of a single busted charger ruining your trip

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Ah if I pull 50kwh for 30 to 45 mins while I get some grub before the flight I'm happy enough

I normally don't care but I'll have the missus and her sister with me don't want to hear any complaints from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I wonder what is the reasoning behind EV designs being so loud and scream 'I am driving an EV'

The Ioniq 6 and Nissan Arya have to be one of the ugliest cars every designed along with the new Range Rover Sport and Mercedes GLC/GLE Coupe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They're not all like that, but yeah, I get your point.

I'd say the primary reason is to reduce drag, ending up with very samey looking jelly moulds. Then there's the removal of the front grille as it's not needed and designers having all kinds of issues trying to design it out.

Then there's the restrictions particular to EVs solely. Higher waistlines because batteries sit in the bottom, so you get some strange profiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have charged in Charlestown a few times. They are very new 200kW units, so quite reliable. Services are ok on site (SuperMacs, deli, etc). The last day I was there (about 2 weeks ago), there was some construction in the forecourt, but all four chargers were accessible. It's about 3 or 4 minutes off the N5, so would be a good choice for Knock Airport.

If the four ESB chargers were in use and you were tight on time, there is also a 50kW EasyGo unit in Charlestown which is generally always available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I'd love to. Heading to Heineken cup final in London meeting their brother who lives in Mayo and flying from there. Bargain to fly from Knock actually, saving about 1200 euro between the 4 of us. Never flew from there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

Make sure you allow plenty of time from the car park, through check-in & security to get to the waiting lounge.

….Nearly took me a full 15 minutes last time.

I was thinking it'll be easier than Dublin airport alright. Might not even take me much longer to travel overall.

As for herself, she drives an EV too and has only ever plugged it in once, very reluctantly, on a work trip to Waterford when we had only 1 car. That includes home charging. It's my job to keep them charged apparently ! Drives an EV, loves how it drives and knows zero about charging.

I had to talk her through it and monitor the charge on the app from 200kms away while she constantly said I'll just leave now will I? No you'll leave when you've enough charge!

That's why I know they'll be moaning if the chargers act up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭wassie

That's why I know they'll be moaning if the chargers act up.

If that happens, hand them the car manual…..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I made a couple of quick features on a telegram bot for Ev related stuff just so I don't have to do maths anymore

1. Calculating how long the battery will take to charge. You pass in the current SoC and it calculates how long it will take to charger to a few different levels, basically to see if we need to increase the charging window outside the 3 hours Ev rate. (you could possibly get the SoC from bluelink directly, but I don't want to stress the 12v battery!) Our car charges at roughly 15% per hour
    2. Not directly Ev related, but calculating how long to delay the washing machine/dryer/dishwasher to get it on the night rate/Ev rate.

I'm running these on my home assistant instance so I'm happy to share the code if anyone else wants to set them up on theres

I'm going OT here, but this is something that really bugs me about Dublin Airport trying to increase its passenger cap

The airport terminals are already jammed up most of the time, allowing more passengers through is just going to stretch the capacity more

There's other airports in the country, I'm sure they could benefit greatly from some investment and shifting some of the extra traffic over to them. It would suit a lot of people outside Dublin as well since they don't have to deal with a long trip to Dublin as well as the flight

I'll also be upfront, it would benefit me personally to move some traffic away from the airport since I live near it and less aircraft noise or air pollution would be a plus

Like everyone else in the area, I was aware of the realities of living near an airport, but DAA have been taking the piss since the new runway was finished. Their projected noise pollution was a complete fabrication and their attitude towards residents seems to be "f**k off, none of ye matter anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Charlestown stop is brilliant for charging, charged there in February and had no issues. On my way home though I stopped off again at around 6pm when Supermacs got really busy and one of the spaces were ICEd. The parking in general at the site is not sufficient.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm currently in Lithuania, and there was great buzz here as 2 CyberTrucks were spotted on local plates…

But it turns out someone was trying to import them into Russia from the EU via Belarus to try and get around the sanctions… but the Lithuanian border guards were wise to it as it's a fairly common route for high end cars leaving the EU and eventually finding their way to Russia…

https://electrek.co/2024/05/08/someone-smuggle-two-tesla-cybertrucks-into-russia/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1VU_QBHXgKF1w6lsQwhwJvbuJ8Datkz5IcgUpt_329jI-om0m1p3ChfaA_aem_AQg9Q4Zz2RjygY-pFksjEgKaibvuxJqd80Uh_ATBzRU3EhO3xcsQ8lSVJyDBnPlTrcY_wJquAYcekauHADFaiBzH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

Small sample size but it does provide an indicator to understanding why many people continue to resist the transition to EVs. Basically a lot of people simply resist change and will continue with what they are familiar with for as long as they can despite the browbeating by the enlightened. PHEV anyone…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

neither the RR sport or the GLC/GLE are EVs though

Tells everyone she is driving an EV but wouldn't be the best ambassador for them if asked questions.

Range? Well I once went to Waterford and had to charge for 30 mins in Kilkenny on the way back until got a call it was ok to leave. Think he brings it into work about once a week to charge, I don't know how much I drive though.

Battery size? It's big, it's the entire floor of the car.

She'll tell you it's fast though and takes off like a rocket

Genuinely does like them but has no interest in what they are or how they're put together. No trips to petrol station is a huge factor for her though. And absolutely loves the Etron over the cupra more than I do I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

My missus had a 28kWh EV about 6 months before I got my first one 4 years ago. She regularly used to visit our daughter in Dublin from rural Co Wexford in it and she aint slow🙂. Usually over night so a bit of Granny charging before returning.

She was asked if she ever got Range Anxiety, her reply was no, that she leaves that for me at home.😋

my mrs isnt too bad and has stopped at an ionity once herself. She drives more than i do so makes sure the car is charged once a week or whenever needed. She too is a big fan of never needing to frequent a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Maybe start a new thread on this. One thing to note is that if your charger has load sensing it will reduce the rate while everything is on at the same time.

Recently I have been watching my home load on solar, EV, washing machine, electric oven etc. The washing machine only draws a high load for the first 10-20 minutes as it heats the water, after that it's low power usage rotating the drum. Similar with dishwasher. So real world only factor in washing machine load in first 20 minutes. After that power will be freed up for car charging. Dryers tend to take full power all the time. Ideally you want to keep house load at max 50 amps, even though fuse is 60 amps the continuous rating of supply to houses is 50 amps. You can usually set up grid limit on charger.

With free solar daytime I stop the dryer to boil the kettle to maximize free power!, I do have automatic load dumping to hot water, underfloor heating, EV charger etc. I don't get any money for export at the moment and I have 9 hour night rate with dumb meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My wife took my car to work one day. Battery was low and she had a fair bit of driving later in the day.

She rang me from work looking help to charge it. As she was on the phone a guy she works with got out of his 330e BMW. Fair play to him, he showed her what to do. I was still on the line and I could hear her say "what do I do now Dave"?

"Go inside and do some work" he says 😂.

She rang me later that day in amazement. "The car is on 75% battery now. I've loads of range for my journey".

I think a lot of people don't realise that the majority of time, your car, be it petrol, diesel or electric just sits there going nowhere.

For many people a car is one of the most under-utilised things they'll ever buy, and yet our world is such that you need one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sabine Hossenfelder no longer believes EV's are the answer, so she bought a hybrid.

Same line of thinking that has me wondering how building 10,000 km of high voltage power lines criss crossing Australia to connect renewables can be either eco or cost effective, which is the current estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have no idea who that is nor care anything for her opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance"
    Albert Einstein

more eco than continuing to burn fossil fuels anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

She has an excuse. She's mathematician - theoretical physicist. They live in another dimension

Advertisement