Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Labour are getting to power without debasing themselves to the worst of the Tory party. That tells me they are more interested in power over doing the right thing. Count Binface has it correct

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Say no. It achieves nothing. She simply sits on the government benches.

No positive to Labour. This way they get their headlines, Sunak is under more pressure and it costs Labour nothing.

She will have zero impact on Labour policy.

Labour wants an election. Ramping up the pressure on Sunak is the only way to force it. This puts pressure not only on Sunak but all those MPs looking nervously at their jobs and wondering if staying linked to Sunak is the way to go.

Her views won't matter a jot. Anytime Sunak tries to claim the country wants him, Starmer simply responds to saying even his own party don't want him.

There has to be an election within the next 7 months…. debasing your party will help how?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As horrible as she is, nobody's going to remember this in a week. That said, I wouldn't have put up a photo of myself shaking her hand were I Sir Keir.

Sunak's going to delay the election for as long as he can. Pressure like this helps but I'd be lying if I said it didn't stick in my craw.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What was the alternative? Turn her down

Yes FFS.

This isn't some sort of bloody college debate club. It's supposed to be a political party…with SOME sort of principles that are going to be responsible for the governance of the UK.

This is yet another damaging blow to Sunak.

Sunak is fucked anyway. This stunt won't make any difference to that. It may "damage" Sunak. But it also damages Labour too. It hasn't gone down well at all with the PLP and it's yet another feather taken out of Starmer's cap, which he hadn't got many of in the first place.

If Starmer can just blithely wave over someone like Elphicke into "his" party, it doesn't say much for his own political credentials does it. She is at odds of EVERYTHING the Labour Party is supposed to be about.

When Labour can simply just take on people who are actively opposed to their positions, then all that signals is that nothing is going to change once they're in office.

If Labour can turn such a devoted brexiteer and right winger it bodes well so gain the votes needed.

They haven't "turned" anyone. They just invited a snivelling wretch into their ranks.

Labour needs to be much, much, better than this.

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

According to Steve Hammond, "If there’s been someone who has done as much as anyone to drag my party
    away from the centre ground of British politics in the last five years, it’s been Natalie."

Another Tory mentioned that she didn't have any more room to the right of her to move too.

She belongs nowhere near a real Labour Party.

Labour shadow ministers are embarrassing themselves to 'support' Starmer in his decision today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭Shoog

To say that Starmer is disliked in the country would be a massive understatement. The electorate will hold their noses and vote Labour simply because they are not Tories (though given the latest defection that's very much up for debate). A very sorry state of affairs altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I don't think people really know how bad this person is, she isn't a mere internet troll like so many of the right wing Tories, this is a women who was suspended by the commons because she tried to influence the judge in the case of her rapist husband and then taunted them in public and made their life hell.

She then in government ran to the right of JRM ffs when it came to immigration, economics and heck even taunted Rashford over his superb charity work.

Its embarrassing for Sunak, but you don't have to be the left of Jeremy Corbyn to be disgusted by this especially as it was just not needed whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The astonishing thing here is not that Labour accepted Elphicke, but that Elphicke chose to defect to Labour rather than to her natural home in one of the parties to the right of the Tories. Not sure what's going on there.

Labour's decision to accept her is pretty stomach-turning, but I think I can see what they are at. They are trying to send a signal to people who voted Tory before but who are now disaffected, and who still buy the Tory hard line on immigration, that Labour is a safe space for them; their views on immigration do not put them beyond the pale, so far as Labour is concerned. Labour can only win office, remember, by securing the votes of people who previously voted Tory, so they will adopt positions that assist them in winning those votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nadhim Zahawi announces he won't run at the GE.

Another rat deserting the sinking Tory ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not sure about dislike but certainly within my circles there's definite lack of enthusiasm for him and Labour as a whole. Most people have switched off until the election is called.

Its shocking to me that even given how bad the Tories are that there is talk of Labour only managing to achieve a hung parliament. This just underlines the lukewarm response to Starmers version of Labour. Its hardly a great platform to launch the sort of reforms the country so desperately needs. I don't see the next Parliament changing much for the poor citizens of the UK.

Talk of Labour only managing to acheive a hung parliament emanates exclusively from Tory sources. It's wishful thinking. However much Labour may disappoint its more progressive or ambitious supporters, it is comfortably on track to achieve a thumping majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hung parliament talk is nothing more than clickbait.

"there is talk of Labour only managing to achieve a hung parliament"

The only people saying this are the Tories, we can expect more of this and worse the closer we get to the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

No real doubt about the next election. Where the lack of enthusiasm comes into play is whether Starmer gets more than a single term.

There will not be a hung parliament - desperate Sunak is peddling that line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

She belongs nowhere near a real Labour Party.

As if the British FPTP system has ever allowed a "real" Labour Party to come to power … or even a "real" Conservative Party for that matter.

It seems to me that much of the criticism of Starmer in this regard and others comes from people harking back to the great days of Jim Larkin's Labour Party and the glorious poverty (in a different country) that accompanied them. Where's the "real Labour Party" in Ireland now? Even here, in almost-communist France, every party left of centre has found itself losing support and becoming unelectable over the last two decades - because when all is said and done, most voters like the comforts and advantages of a centre/centre-right global capitalist economy.

These "real Labour" idealogues would seem to be quite happy to lose yet another election in favour of purity, rather than play the game of politics that would get a Labour party into government and achieve at least some of the Left's long-wanted goals. Starmer is an astute lawyer: he knows how to play political games. So whatever disagreeable baggage this new recruit is bringing with her, it'd be a fair bet to assume that her defection is part of a bigger plan the details of which will become clear in the coming weeks and months. Or not …

For those trotting out the "hung parliment" line here's the latest polling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The hung parliament line is nonsense being trotted out by sunak to distract from how terrible he is and also try to panic reform voters into coming back to the tories. Hes basing it on the local election results which if the percentages for those were transferred directly over to a GE would very possibly leave a hung parliament. HOWEVER thats not how things work in any way ever, firstly because local elections have massively lower turnout compared to a GE meaning you cant compare the two elections at all and secondly all GE specific polling shows Labour with a record shattering majority.

This has nothing got to do with the level of left various Labour voters or critics are.

The woman they just accepted is a disgrace and saying no to her would have been easy and cost nothing.

If Starmer has made a secret plan that involves Elphicke, that would be much, much worse than simply accepting Elphicke into the party just to annoy the Tories. Making any plan that involves or depends on Elphicke would be a serious, serious misjudgment. Admitting her to the party is one thing; according her any influence, or position of responsibility, would be quite another.

I think people's concern is basically this: Starmer is going to win the next election, and very comfortably. He doesn't at this point need to welcome a piece of work like Elphicke into the party in order to acheive or defend Labour's electability. Therefore, people reason, he must be doing it for some other reason. And what other reason might that be? Is it, as CR suggests, some cunning plan in which Elphicke will play a role? That would be worrying, because why in God's name would you want the likes of Elphicke playing any role in the Labour party? Is it that he wants to strengthen the position of those in the Labour party who hold Elphicke-adjacent views? That would be horrifying. Etc, etc.

In short, I think there's those who accept that sometimes you have to hold your nose and reach out to voters whose views you don't entirely like in order to get into power, and getting into power is necessary if you are to acheive anything at all. But Labour's not in that position right now; welcoming Elphicke can't be excused as a necessary evil that must be suffered in order to get into office. So how can Starmer excuse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yeah - it might have cost nothing; but what hidden "added value" does it bring by saying yes? None of us on the outside know what the other side of the argument is, but given Starmer's experience in these matters, I'll stick to my assertion that it goes well beyond "non negligible"

What hidden added value do you think it might have ?

It signals that labour has positioned itself as Tory lite. That is a shocking waste of an.opportunity but not surprising given that was the roll mapped out for Starmer all along.

I can't see any sort of a progressive program for government emerging from Starmers labour party. He will even be lary of approaching the disaster that is Brexit from his PMship.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only need another 23 or so. Which is unlikely but not implausible considering how many Tories have been booted out so far, and two defections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

As I've said before I think talk of a hung Parliament is bóllocks, no matter how much I would like that to be the result, but Sky News analysis just 6 days ago talked of a hung Parliament, so it's incorrect to say its only a Tory narrative.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Analysis based on a useless/inappropriate data set

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Holding my nose, the best case I think that can be made is that he's simply trying to broaden his appeal. Maybe he's being extra cautious because he knows that she's not standing come election day anyway?

I don't think this will do any damage in the long term. The optics are appalling but this will be forgotten about very shortly. It's an odd thing to do since the only direction Sunak can move in is downwards.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement