Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Work in progress?

I used a DRS scheme in the Czech Republic from 2009 to 2013. Thats 15 years ago. I never, ever, encountered a machine out of order.

Why didn't we copy their model which was mature already when I was using it and presumeably has matured more since then?

The machines were a lot less technologically advanced than the ones we use here. No touchscreen, just 3 lights if I remember correctly. Green to put in a bottle, amber while its working and red for an error.

No barcodes. The shape of the bottle or can was scanned by an infra red beam. If it matched the profile, it got accepted. The only bottles not accepted were Cobra beer bottles and some custom wine bottle shapes. Oh yeah! They accepted glass wine and beer bottles.

So again, I have to ask. How much research was put into this scheme? Because it really feels like Ossian Smith googles "reverse vending machines", found a manufacturer, ordered a brochure and then ordered 10,000 units.

1. Order ~about hmm, 26 counties, lets say 300 per county… lets say about 10,000 units
    2. ???
    3. Ouila! We have a DRS scheme. Oh yeah I need to publish a bill in the Oireactas too

I'm clearly a bit on the slow side because it took me 3 years to realise why the cans for Irn Bru were in the foreign foods section. - Because in the Czech Republic Irn Bru is foreign food. For the relatively small amount of stock of Irn bru they carried, it would have made no financial sense for them to contnue to carry Irn bru if they had to go faffing around with a czech return logo or barcodes, but because the cans come in the standard 330ml aluminium can, all the machine had to do was check it matched the standard profile to be accepted. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I wouldn't get exercised about other people not claiming their money. I claim mine, and it is up to everyone else to do what they want. They can get it back tomorrow or in a years time. Or never, it is of minor consequence. People give back about €20 million a year to the Lottery people, because they don't need the money. The Lottery people are sharks compared to Re-Turn, they swallow up the unclaimed prize after 90 days. Same with Dormant Accounts. The Government is so confident that money not touched for 15 years is not needed by anyone that they comandeer some of it for public spending.

The only downside about the non processed containers is that they will not join the stream which will be turned into replacement containers about seven times. The world will still keep turning, but as the Re-Turn system becomes part of everyday routine for people, it should help to lessen our impact on the environment.

"According to a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General, between 2015-2021 just over €124 million in respect of expired unclaimed prizes had been forfeited in favour of the National Lottery operator."

"The 2023 Dormant Accounts Fund Action Plan outlines measures and funding across 9 Departments. It approves funding of €54.5 million which will fund 44 measures across these Departments, in line with the relevant legislation."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not a treat when you don't take it.

They weren't charging you 15 cent for the water but for the deposit which is refundable.

They'd be breaking the law to give it to you without collecting the deposit.

You refused an item worth about €1.20 rather than pay 15 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭jj880

Its not a treat when the good is taken out of it at the till with a deposit.

You sound like you'd ask someone can they break a 50 euro note for their birthday 🤣.

• Advertisement

Of course the company could have covered the price of the deposit as part of the prize and there wouldn't be an issue.

I still wouldn't have left my prize worth €1.20 behind 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

So a bit of a smell is more important than the planet??

I dont know, as I said "I imagine". Someone else mentioned the dairy lobby resisting it. I've not bought milk in years, but when I did it always came in a carton. The 2 litre plastic containers wouldn't fit in the RVM machines I suppose?

Anyway, please dissuade yourself that any of this has anything to do with the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

it’s called a treat. I’ve never heard of a great costing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Who said I left the prize? It’s still credited to me

• Advertisement

It's unusual and I did say in another post that the company could have paid the deposit so you would have received the treat unencumbered.

Possibly a warning for other companies running such promotions to stump up the 15 cent and avoid bad PR.

Sorry, I thought when you said you didn't bother that you had forgone the treat.

My mistake no offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People waste money. Yes, I understand this. HOWEVER

The whole point of this sheme is to increase collection rates to 90 percent - or so we are told. To do this, everyone who has always recycled must engage with this scheme. On top of that, those that didn't engage with recycling in the past must also engage with it (or so we are told).

So while I can control the controlables here and make sure I get my money back it is a pain in the behind relative to how this process worked for me in the past and indeed means that I will lose out on some deposits here and there for various reasons.
    If I lose out on a deposit, or someone doesn't claim theirs back, thats goes into the ten percent that wont be returned.

What I am seeing currently is a lack of engagement from the general public on this scheme in numbers that you would want to be seeing a few months in. So this whole scheme is completely POINTLESS if 90 percent of items aren't returned.

What happens then? More convoluted bolloxology no doubt, but at all times its the consumers fault.

So, yeah, those people that you don't seem to care about, their use cases, they matter, but I don't believe the architects of this scheme acutally care as the actual implications of not meeting targets aren't anyones fault but the consumer.

It's completely different to the comparisions you've mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I'm going to stop donating cash to charities/beggars,instead I will hand over a large black bag of returnables,problem solved.

Short answer is I dont know. That is something that really flipping ticks me off though. Not just this one issue, but so many across a range of issues. Considering we are such a small country, why can we not settle on one vendor for a thing?

I have never seen the RVM in a Dealz ever functioning. It's very different to the one in Supervalu and different again to the one in Aldi. Which makes me think they left it up to the retailers to buy the RVMs. Which makes integration of a system 10 times more difficult when you have 3 or 4 different manufacturers with another 3 or 4 different models involved. That explains some shortcomings in the system.

To be honest, if you did that I'd expect the beggar to tell you to f*ck off. Even our beggars are too posh to go using this system. A black plastic bag containing charitably(LOL) 20 containers is going to get the beggar 3 euro. He or she will make more than that standing in their spot in 20 minutes, than the 20 minute round trip of trying the RVM-lotto.

The LA's appear to have hands on responsibility there for waste/recycle collecting. I can see where there's push back on moving to a "new" scheme - hopefully the local oppositation hold firm for the countrys sake. Tweak whats working.

But the Czechs are littering their own country with plastic bottles. Anything is worth a try to get them to behave.

"In an attempt to get more citizens on board, the ministry is appealing to Czechs’ love of nature – according to them, plastic bottles are one of the most frequently discarded items of rubbish that end up littering the Czech countryside."

Yes the LAs do and it is taken seriously. In the city, bins are collected from houses/buildings every 3 days. Not once a week like here.

I found this article really interesting: https://english.radio.cz/new-deposit-return-system-drinks-bottles-faces-opposition-local-councils-8799943

I am hearing the exact same propaganda from their environment minister as I hear from ours. But reading push back from their LA's that ours didnt give. I noted their new system will introduce the whole barcode thing.

In an attempt to get more citizens on board, the ministry is appealing to Czechs’ love of nature – according to them, plastic bottles are one of the most frequently discarded items of rubbish that end up littering the Czech countryside.

Obviously most people on this thread have not visited the Czech countryside. I have, and I have to ask if the Environment minister has? Because I never noticed a littering problem anywhere I was. The places were always pristine.

That article honestly reads like they dont already have a DRS scheme, nevermind a recycling scheme in place. But they do, both of them, and have for the last 20+ years.

Which makes me wonder, has an RVM vendor been going around Europe lobbying with brown envelopes to Environment Ministers getting them to adopt a scheme that their machines can fulfill?

Pushing a DRS scheme here when we dont have one is one thing. But replacing a successful DRS scheme in a place where there's is functioning is suspicious, no?

• Advertisement

So tweak the existing system. Add a tax to plastic bottles. Promote reuseable containers from the consumer AND the supplier POV through whatever means necessary. Increase recycle bin access. Review fines and moreso review enforcement of existing laws in relation to littering. Enhance education in schools.

How much littering is going on? Seems like a bit of a throwaway comment seeing as 80 percent of plastic bottles end up in landfill globally (not even being recycled)

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/home-hub/plastic-bottle-w

We need to be reducing and reusing with these items - not trying to increase recycling and collectiong rates - that will never solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I visited Czechia in 1996, a good long time ago; Pilsen, Prague, Kutna Hora, Brno. It was not a very clean place back then, litter absolutely everywhere, although beautiful Kutna Hora was tidy. You didn’t as much as brush your teeth in the tap water unless you were fond of having severe dysentery. Food could be dodgy, overall quite an unsanitary place. Haven’t been since, but I trust it must have improved considerably since, and I know the tap water issue has been well resolved as with pretty much everywhere in the EU. I suppose the DRS helped solve the litter issue 🤔 or maybe just joining the EU funded a bit of national pride that had been a bit absent hitherto.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

So, looking at our future we are exhausted engaging with any of this.

Considering a soda stream and tap water for 'coke' which would be much more environmentally friendly and cheap and less hassle. Anyone else any ideas?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0509/1448105-deposit-return/

How exactly is it commercially sensitive to release return figures? Thats the whole point of this convoluted scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,373 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They don't have any competitors so how can information be commercially sensitive!

They are worse than a quango at this stage. The muppet of a minister has just given them a monopoly and walked away laughing his empty head off. Doesn't give a damn about ordinary people. Doesn't give a damn about the actual environment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Shsssshhh-The Germans may be reading-on how to incorporate the best aspects of ReTurn!

I wonder how those people dispose of glass bottles and jars if they get any in their shopping, delivered or otherwise? My bin company does not allow them in any of their bins. I looked up Greyhound, and they have the same rule. If there was a count of glass bottles and jars, a lot of mine would not be counted until months after purchase.

I don't mind doing it, even though it is a separate journey, unlike bringing Re-Turn empties with me when going to a shop. And the bottle banks run the risk of contamination. I would like to see glass included in our scheme, and maybe that is in the planning. Some other countries do it, some don't. One thing is for sure, it would cause outrage if people had to pay the deposit, on glass bottles and jars. Among the permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sodastream do concentrate for Pepsi and Pespsi Max. If you have die hard "cokeheads", that may be a problem. If they are okay with a cola then it should work decently.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GHendrix

This scheme is just so stupid. I already do my recycling and pay for it.

To follow this I’d have to keep certain items separate, drive a few KMs to the machine and hope it’s in order etc to get a few quid back….

It would probably cost me more in petrol than the deposit is even worth.

It’s actually better for the planet if I just keep recycling as normal and accept the higher cost by not returning them separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Put two cans in Tesco Kimmage last night and both refused despite several attempts. Both were accepted first time in Tesco Rathfarnham

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement