Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2024 Transfer Window

• 09-05-2024 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭

Where Mbappe ends up likely to be the big deal this summer but rebuilds likely at a number of clubs

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Is there any doubt left over Mbappé going to Real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It was already announced months ago wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Will be interesting to see if anyone goes for Brereton Diaz. A lot of hype about him the last few years in the Champship. Went to Villarreal and didn't score but got a decent return (joint top scorer and only joined in January) at one of the worst ever PL teams.

He strikes me as an old-fashioned centre forward and could do a decent job for some mid-table/lower end PL team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

A lot of talk about Kudus from West Ham potentially being picked up this summer thanks to a release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

If Leeds go up I'd be all over him to replace Bamford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I would be after Max Bieir from Hoffenheim if I wanted a bargain basement buy, but I don't know if they are a selling club or not. 13 goals and 4 assists this season, in a far from great team. Maybe Glasner could sneak him into Palace after making loads of cash on Olise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can I interest anyone, anyone at all, in Casemiro? anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Are the Saudi's expected to be as active this summer?… not many other teams have such money to burn. English teams heavily affected by FFP for one more year at least.

Might be the reason why I've no idea where Villa will be shopping despite potentially having CL football to offer. That said the free transfer market has served us well recently with Kamara & Tielemans and from current links that seems set to continue with Mario Hermoso from Atlético Madrid. I'd also wager we will need a Kamara alternative given he won't be back from his ACL when the season starts and those who have filled in for him aren't really DMs.

You need a DM do you, boy have I got a player for you. Mulitple Champions League, captain of his country…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Id expect a busy summer for united. Arsenal probably looking for a striker, Liverpool a couple defenders and a winger, I'm sure city will spend 150m on a couple of players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Guimares has a 100m release clause for June only as well supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It wasn't officially announced by psg, mbappe himself or real madrid.

Just the media and those in the know saying it was a done deal and would be announced once psg couldn't meet madrid in the CL. Now that eventuality has passed, will be interesting if it is.

Perosnally if I was in charge at madrid, I wouldn't buy him. For me if he arrives they may as well sell Vini Jr. They play the same spot. Trying to change one of them into a no9 won't work.

Money would be better spent on trying to entice Haaland next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

huge wages alright, but on a free transfer it’s very hard not to sign him if he wants to go there.

Enrique has played him centre forward much more this season too - 26 goals from 25 games played at CF this year. So I think he can work with Vini. The question is where Endrick fits into all this. Could see Rodrygo moving on to make room, if not this summer then next summer.

Jez, clean forgot about Endrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

City will definitely try for Paqueta and maybe a back up DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One knock-on affect of the Mbappe free transfer is that there won't be a trickle down of the money from PSG, or Read Madrid.

Usually PSG would have to buy a replacement using the money, for arguments sake lets say Luis Diaz and then Liverpool would then spend that money on a replacement and so on. And Real Madrid would have to sell someone to free up funds and wages, like they did with Casemiro or Ozil and then then Man Utd / Arsenal move on another player and so on.

That, combined with the PSR restrictions that many PL teams are facing, we might see a reduction in transfer fees this summer. The likes of Palace usually buying someone from Ligue 1, Wolves from Portugal or West Ham taking a chance on a decent striker from the Bundesliga. I'm not saying all of those clubs are at risk, but more the usual Europe → PL transfers that happen frequently might not happen.

The market is not there for the European clubs to sell players, and so the cost may reduce when the demand is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Real Madrid have a habit of announcing such deals in the build up to the Champions League Final.

Talks that Morata is available this summer for €12m this summer.

I wonder will any top half club take a chance on him, or a big club for back up even.

Any time I watch him, I never rate him, but he has been at some of the world's biggest clubs, so he obviously offers something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's not of the level you'd want for a top tier guy, but he's a solid 1 in 3, or 1 in 2 target man. A bit like Giroud actually. Could be useful in the right team, like playing between Saka and Martinelli at Arsenal for instance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They're signing Tosin Adarabioyo on a free from Fulham too. Medical done just waiting on window to open I believe.

Seperately it appears Emerson Royal from Spurs may be off to AC Milan.

And I'd wager that they are signing Tosin primarily as a HG player, just so that they can sell their own HG academy players for FFP profit, allowing them to buy more young foreign players like the above mentioned lad from Brazil. Their HG quota will remain the same.

Tosin will be the 8th CB on Chelsea's books next season. There was strong rumours that he had agreed a deal to go to Newcaslte originally. I wonder what changed his mind?

Their captain Conor Gallagher out the door now to Spurs I would guess.

Supposedly PSG are looking at Julian Alvarez for 80m and he is happy to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Spurs about to sign Archie Gray, with Joe Rodon going the other way. Don't know much about him, but seems like a good player.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-archie-gray-transfer-leeds-united-b1167859.html

Very highly rated and it sounds like a lot of PL clubs took a look at him over the last year too.

Played a lot of football at RB last year, but is a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lot of money for potential, but he has no fear in him for being so young. If he keeps on same trajectory it'll be great signing for Spurs

Lots of deals working around the PSR rules announced by Newcastle with Elliot Anderson to Forest and Yankuba Minteh to Brighton for around £70m along with them agreeing compensation for Ashworth to start work at Man Utd

• Advertisement

Kamada joining Palace on a free transfer looks a good deal, looked good for Frankfurt under Glasner a couple of years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

did he not just sign for brentford or who am i thinking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ryan Sessongon training at Palace who are keen on him.

Hope he can get his career back on track. Absolutely crippled by injuries for us, and anytime he seemed to be getting going, he was out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

These PSR transfers really are going to skew transfers in England even more than they were with the TV money.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Spinazola, Mario Hermoso, Adrian Rabiot, Gabriel Barbosa, Wilfred Ndidi, Memphis Depay

All now out of contract and not officially signed anywhere yet.

Spinazola reportidly could be signing for Napoli. They as well as Inter and Villa had been linked to Hermoso but everything went quiet with regards Villa for a while. Rabiot again has been linked to Inter & Villa but also A.C Milan and Man Utd again, while there are also still some suggestions he could re-sign with Juve.

Seria A is also where Depay is most highliy linked to with both Milan sides and Fiorentina interested. N'Didi has also been linked with re-signing with Leicester but Everton, Marseille and others are being suggested as possible locations for him.

Di Marzio is usually reliable with all Italian transfers and he is reporting that Arsenal are very close to signing Calafiori.

I think he had a very good Euros and was hoping that Liverpool would sign him as he is the type of player that is needed in defence this year - someone comfortable at both LB & CB.

Is that not what Arsenal bought Timber and Kiwor for?

They might be just doing it to annoy me! 😆

But on a more serious note, they probably have realized that Zinchenko is not good enough and want to replace him. Slowly building to the model of 4 CBs at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Timber was "supposedly" bought to play more on right side but can play both.

I could definitely see one of Zinchenko or Kiwior leaving.

• Advertisement

I thought it was White and Tomi for RB and Timber and Kiwor for LB. Then they can all cover CB for Gabriel and Saliba.

For me the biggest need Arsenal have is a CF, a second CM to replace Partey of he leaves and then cover for RW.

Its pretty flexible but anything I heard was Tomi LB cover and Timber RB but from what have seen the two best full backs are White and Timber so could easily end up as you suggest.

Agreed on rest but I dont expect big money spent on CF… Thats on assumption Jesus is finally fully fit and pain free which supposedly hasnt been since World Cup.

I reckon Arsenal go for Osimhen later in the window if no one else is moving for him, and try to get him 'cheap', at way below the 100m (£) Napoli are apparently looking for now. The market simply hasn't been there for him. I reckon Napoli expected PSG and Chelsea to be falling over each other.

I would be pretty surprised but lets see……I could see them going for Nico Williams as the big attacking signing if salary can be managed.

I think that they should look more for a wider goal scoring forward rather than a CF .

IMO, Arsenal should concentrate on having Havertz as that false 9 role where he excelled in the second half of last season. Moving him around loses a lot of his positive play. Martinelli & Saka only scored 6 and 10 goals from open play last season and this is where the improvement is needed I reckon. I'm not sure if Nico Williams is the answer though seeing as his career high is 9 goals all comps, but at 21 there is certainly room for him to kick on and improve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

surely the nico Williams reference was a joke?

Dont forget Trossard got 17 (12 league) open play goals many from wide so there is a lot of goals there.

Perhaps you are right about Williams not being the answer but I agree also that another wide player is the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

he hasn’t impressed me enough any time I’ve watched him, to see him going into a team that wants to challenge for the league.
    Granted, I haven’t seen him much lately, has he improved?

Good point. Now maybe Arsenal fans think different as they would be more knowledgeable on the matter but I've never viewed Trossard as a main player guy. More a rotational optional and would come off the bench to score goal number 3 or 4 in rout. The odd big goal to break the deadlock late on. Now don't get me wrong those players are needed and Arsenal have a good one in Trossard.

But I don't see him as being a genuine contender to starting ahead of Martinelli & Saka consistently when they are fit and that's what you need IMO.

I said I don't think that Nico Williams is the answer as he hasn't scored enough goals yet. Hasn't hit double figures yet. Yet being a key word though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement